markismyname

Attempting Repair for Glashutte Sixties

markismyname

Jt7QI.jpg

Ever since I got this Glashutte Sixties it's been jammed up.

Mary suggested to bang on it and manually wind it 30 times.

Did that and it kicked back up but it kept needing that any time I broke out the watch.

Last week I look at the back and see a gear just hanging out jamming the oscillating weight.

Take that out and see that it's just a decorative piece that got unglued and I cleaned it off with alcohol to remove the old glue and reapplied it but the movement still wasn't working.

I ask Mary what I should do and she said keep trying to repair it otherwise send it back.

Does anyone have any experience sending back a watch?

So in part of my research I'm reaching out to the wise elders of RWG to see if anyone has any advice because I'm stuck in trying to open the movement to see what's going on.

The decorative plate has some real & some fake screws which I've gotten some of both off but short of prying it apart I've now stripped most of the screws and the one real one I can get undone isn't coming out.

Help me or --> remind me that this is what I get when I buy a $5,000 watch for $363

tribefan

Don't send it back.

If it were me, I would continue digging in it, break it, buy a new movement and then realize I need send it to someone for repair. :) Don't be like me. 

markismyname
5 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Don't send it back.

If it were me, I would continue digging in it, break it, buy a new movement and then realize I need send it to someone for repair. :) Don't be like me. 

HAHAHA I needed a good laugh tonight :)

Roger Roger.

BC1221

What movement is under the deco plate?
Can you take the deco plate off and see?

The swan neck makes me think it’s a Unitas but the reversing wheels looks like a eta clone 28**.

It doesn’t run at all? Or is it just not charging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markismyname
On 04/09/2020 at 10:35, BC1221 said:

What movement is under the deco plate?
Can you take the deco plate off and see?

The swan neck makes me think it’s a Unitas but the reversing wheels looks like a eta clone 28**.

It doesn’t run at all? Or is it just not charging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally pulled off the plate (had to rip it off as the screws were faux) Also my IWC stopped working so I'll start another post once I feel confident enough to open it up.

ZZKnWF.jpg ZZK1J5.jpg

Here's where I'm at:

In order to get to the actual movement I had to pry off the faux bridge plate which actually hold real gear from the oscillating  weight connecting to the mainspring (that's a problem)

Also it snapped off the stem which is not easy to get to (see pictures)

@Mary Watch said I could send the watch back if there's a problem but I know that would be extremely costly on both sides to resolve the issue. 

So...

If a watch repair guru can help me I'm all ears otherwise I need to ask Mary to send a replacement movement (the dial & hands are in perfect shape).

I'm guessing that's not a thing I can do.

RWG elders please advise my ignorance.

FunnyStarSystem

87d898de29fed5e5b4622e5ec863322e.jpg

Best of luck friend. I wouldn't send it back, the occasional casualty is a part of this game, and you seem to have a deceased Senator!

Let's pull in a couple of triage guys, see if they have any resuscitation advice: @GenTLe @NCRich @Glaude

GenTLe
10 hours ago, markismyname said:

Finally pulled off the plate (had to rip it off as the screws were faux) Also my IWC stopped working so I'll start another post once I feel confident enough to open it up.

ZZKnWF.jpg ZZK1J5.jpg

Here's where I'm at:

In order to get to the actual movement I had to pry off the faux bridge plate which actually hold real gear from the oscillating  weight connecting to the mainspring (that's a problem)

Also it snapped off the stem which is not easy to get to (see pictures)

@Mary Watch said I could send the watch back if there's a problem but I know that would be extremely costly on both sides to resolve the issue. 

So...

If a watch repair guru can help me I'm all ears otherwise I need to ask Mary to send a replacement movement (the dial & hands are in perfect shape).

I'm guessing that's not a thing I can do.

RWG elders please advise my ignorance.

That's a basic A2824 with a custom autowind bridge on top.

If you don't mind not having the fake plate, just replace it with a standard Seagull ST2130. You'll be able to put back the rotor that came with the watch I think. You'll need also to remove 4 parts from the new seagull: the date wheel, the date changer wheel, the date wheel spring and the date wheel transfer gear. Basically it's just one screw.

By the way, the top plate is kept in position by 2 not fake screws for sure. The same pointed by the arrows here (on your plate the one on the left is surely below that fake gear, the other one should be next to the movement engraved number) :

VbDu8h.jpg

• Like 2

markismyname
16 hours ago, GenTLe said:

That's a basic A2824 with a custom autowind bridge on top.

If you don't mind not having the fake plate, just replace it with a standard Seagull ST2130. You'll be able to put back the rotor that came with the watch I think. You'll need also to remove 4 parts from the new seagull: the date wheel, the date changer wheel, the date wheel spring and the date wheel transfer gear. Basically it's just one screw.

By the way, the top plate is kept in position by 2 not fake screws for sure. The same pointed by the arrows here (on your plate the one on the left is surely below that fake gear, the other one should be next to the movement engraved number) :

VbDu8h.jpg

Buying a A2824 THANK YOU! :)

Yeah I don't care about the back, I just want the watch to work again.

Thank you council Elder.

• Like 1

GenTLe

Welcome. Consider to check the height of the hand posts as there are different versions of 2824 with central second, and hour and minute wheels more or less long (and therefore sticking out more or less from the dial). If they are the same: no problem, if the ones you are getting with the new movement are shorter, you may need to swap those from the old movement in order not to have the hands too close to the dial.

• Like 1

markismyname

@GenTLe Thank you for the advice. I got the 2824 clone off AliExpress and @Mary Watch confirmed that it was a 2824 modified clone.

Took a little tinkering but the watch is up and running again!

It's clearly not the real thing on the back but I'm happy to have it working again.

Thanks for the help! :)

ZhPwKQ.jpg

• Like 3

Theviking

Nice work Mark, and thanks for the write up. There are a few watches sitting in the bottom of by drawer I need to get working on

• Like 1