DMMU

Unknown Daytona Movement

DMMU

My old man sent me his Daytona rep to take a look it.  It's got a pretty bad rattling and the chronograph didn't work.  Took the caseback off and the rotor seems to fit very loosely and is what rattles around as opposed to the slight whirring of a decent movement's rotor.  First thing I noticed is that there is a much larger than expected plastic movement holder in the case.  Second, some quick searching for "GELENA SHITINERAND" inside the caseback shows it's quite common and gave me a chuckle.  Third, the movement looks nothing like a Daytona replica (no shock there due to the wider subdial spacing) and nothing like an ETA 7753 clone.  So I was wondering if I could get some help in finding out what the hell this movement is and how it could be replaced.  To be honest I have very little experience with movements, so any insight would be appreciated!  I'll be adding some pictures, let me know if any other angles would be helpful.

splke

no expert looks like a cheap 21j unit 

chrono will be faux chrono hand will operate continuously as it is the seconds hand.

chrono pushers will probaly adjust subdials which show 24hour and date

• Like 1

DMMU

Thanks for the input.  I didn't see any adjustment of the subdials when I clicked the pushers, and there is no date function on the watch.  From what I'm seeing the 21J is not a chrono movement?  Discussion that come up in searches are all about using 21J vs non-chrono ETA clones. How does this work with the faux-chrono subdials?

DMMU

Just took another look and the pushers move the 3 and 9 subdial hands forward with each push.

NCRich

Chronos won't ever work.  Its a chinese movement that is in every really cheap daytona/speedy, etc.  No need to replace it if it keeps time, and its not worth replacing if it doesn't.  I'd buy another on the gate for $50.  I've got a couple of them.

DMMU
17 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Chronos won't ever work.  Its a chinese movement that is in every really cheap daytona/speedy, etc.  No need to replace it if it keeps time, and its not worth replacing if it doesn't.  I'd buy another on the gate for $50.  I've got a couple of them.

Appreciate the advice.  It keeps time but the rotor rattles like a SOB, main reason my old man doesn't wear it.  There's a lot of slop and I may try tightening the screw, but I need a smaller screwdriver.  Do you know of any movements that would be worth upgrading the watch with?  Or would a clone 7753 would possibly fit?  

GingerApple

Oh Jesus, delete those filthy photos! That's the sort of shite you could buy on a Tenerife beach for 8000 Pesetas back in the day. It all looks so wrong, layout, spacing, thickness etc. Even Junior would turn his nose up at that crud.

Treat your old man to one of the super duper new ones, they're so good. Grab the Noob if you're rich and want a fully functioning chrono or the ARF if you aren't so flush and are happy with it looking amazing with slightly limited chrono function. 

GenTLe

Eheheh, there's a reason it has "SHITINERAND" written inside :) Basically it's a 50$ "canal street" fake :)

As the other said: that's not a chrono, so no way it will ever work as chrono or has the central second hand (the chrono hand) stay rest at 12 as normal chrono do. If your  dad likes it, just tighten the rotor and put the movement back as it is.

PS: you should NEVER EVER put a movement face down (on any surface) with the hands attached. They bend and scratch extremely easily.

DMMU
39 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Oh Jesus, delete those filthy photos! That's the sort of shite you could buy on a Tenerife beach for 8000 Pesetas back in the day. It all looks so wrong, layout, spacing, thickness etc. Even Junior would turn his nose up at that crud.

Treat your old man to one of the super duper new ones, they're so good. Grab the Noob if you're rich and want a fully functioning chrono or the ARF if you aren't so flush and are happy with it looking amazing with slightly limited chrono function. 

Lol reading this was oddly satisfying.  Not going to lie, pretty sure he bought several years ago it in a similar manner that you describe.  Not to mention, he basically did just that in upgrading to a much nicer model.

@GenTLe, so is it safe to assume that no legit chrono movement would fit in this thing? even if that required dial and hands replacement?  Just trying to see what the options are available here.  Whether I lubricate the ball bearings/tighten the rotor or try to make this into something else will depend on what's possible.  Also, thanks for the tip!

GenTLe
13 minutes ago, DMMU said:

@GenTLe, so is it safe to assume that no legit chrono movement would fit in this thing? even if that required dial and hands replacement?  Just trying to see what the options are available here.  Whether I lubricate the ball bearings/tighten the rotor or try to make this into something else will depend on what's possible.  Also, thanks for the tip!

It  would be like putting a new BMW 6L engine into an old Lada. Time and money wasted... And probably not even possible (stem height different, hands hole size different, case height different etc etc...).

GingerApple

The best thing I've come across to shut up noisy rotors is a miniscule amount of Molykote DX in the rotor bearings. Take the rotor off, turn it over, put the tiniest dab of Molykote DX on each bearing, use a toothpick to whiz the rotor round a bit to spread it, clean up if you've used to much and job done.

• Like 1

DMMU

I'm going to give that a spin and see if it helps.  Thanks for the advice!

paccbet

Oh.... a Monarch Polfy special, you don't see those much anymore

GingerApple

Polfy!!!!! :lmao:

Montres I can understand - not the most recognisable word, but Rolex!!?!