lexidium

Tank Francaise

lexidium

Had a look  round for a Tank Francaise but not many doing them and the good ones are over $800.
I would be very loathe to pay that for something I've only seen a picture of.
Has anyone seen or bought one?

Cheers
Lex.

GingerApple

$800!!?! Are used Gens so cheap???? 

Edeeot

Most of the TDs Reps are less than $200, I doubt that even used Gens are anything close to $800.  Sounds like someone is selling you a bag of hot air.

FunnyStarSystem

This is a Quebecker version of the G-Shock, correct? With the numbers all in Quebecois?

Edeeot
6 minutes ago, lexidium said:

Hmmm. Amusing.

They are on Trusty time and Perfect clones . . . . sporting an eta 2000 movement.
https://www.pfclones.com/cart10016-tank-franchine-ss-men-sapphire-crystal-swiss-eta-2095.html

I stand corrected, I was looking at the quartz versions, but $800 is still pretty steep for me on a Rep.

GingerApple

Lol!

What a mental price.

I can't imagine anyone has ever bought one of those tbh. Are they still available or are they some ancient rep that was listed ten years ago?

FunnyStarSystem

That very random 868 strikes me as a placeholder using lucky 8, not sure what 6 signifies in Han culture, perhaps sucker? I would say quite certainly this is not in stock, and was never sold at that price :deathstar:

To the OP, send that link, or any other with the image of the watch you want to one of our TD's, Mary and Marvelous come to mind, and they will let you know if they can get it and how much it will cost.

Otherwise maybe post this in the Cartier section and/or use the word Cartier, because not everyone knows what a French Tank is or who makes it. Sounds very sexxy though I must say.

fatarms

That example claims to have a Swiss ETA 2000 movement in it.  It also says it comes with a box set.  I'm guessing that's what is causing the price to be so high.

Go with an asian movement and forget the box.  Ask a TD about one with an asian movement and how it compares to that model.

GingerApple

ETA 2000 movements don't seem to have been available for many years so I really doubt this watch is available.

automatico

Cartier stories...

I bought a genuine 28mm x 32mm  90% condition steel Cartier TF on the original bracelet from a watch trader 10-22-05 for $100 cash...he bought it from a pawn shop, no questions asked.  It had a decorated 20 jewel ETA 2000-1 with Cartier signed rotor.   I sold it on eBay later.  At that time they had a list price of $3000+.

Because I was familiar with the genuine watch, I will say (imho) there is not much practical difference in a genuine TF automatic and a high quality replica with a swiss ETA cal 2000-1 except for water resistance and the quality of the bracelet/crown and screws/threads in the case...but not the replica at $800.  Maybe $400 or so.  Quartz at $150/$200 maybe.  I vote for quartz.

Since then I have owned quite a few steel Cartier TF quartz replicas and other than some having the date at 6 instead of 3 they are basically identical to genuine.  They all had Hattori (Seiko) quartz movements and I never had trouble with any of them except for one my wife took for a swim.

Same story on a Cartier Santos purchased new in 1990 (quartz steel/gold $1700), later traded for a slightly used tutone Breitling Chronomat on a Breit leather strap.  

Had a genuine Pasha auto on a strap back when they first came out, it had an ETA 2892-A2.  It was unimpressive, traded it away.

Still have a $100 steel quartz Santos replica (Hattori/Seiko) and it will probably last for many years if taken care of...it's already 10+ years old.

"ETA 2000 movements don't seem to have been available for many years so I really doubt this watch is available."

Made since 1992, now called the 2000-1, still in production, list price $300+/-.  Basically a smaller ETA 2892.  I do not care much for them.

• Like 4