Thommo82

Thommo’s Collection

Flinnt
17 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

My AD got one in for me to check out in person. No commitment as he said if I don’t buy it he likes having one in the shop anyway. 

Haven’t had time to check it out yet. Still not 100% sure as the GS Spring Special Edition is really, really nice too. If you don’t know it, check out this review; 

That is bloody beautiful. I think I would still stick to the snowflake for my own personal reasons- the wonderful times had in the snow in Japan with my wife. But if it weren’t for that I think I’d be sold on this Spring edition. 

• Like 1

paccbet

Thanks for posting buddy. That GS would fit in well with your collection. Love that vintage Certina from Brent!

• Like 1

Thommo82
24 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

That is bloody beautiful. I think I would still stick to the snowflake for my own personal reasons- the wonderful times had in the snow in Japan with my wife. But if it weren’t for that I think I’d be sold on this Spring edition. 

This spring edition is a bit more pricey than the snowflake, but only marginally. I just think it takes the snowflake to a new level. Still on the fence about which one to get 

tribefan

That Draken is an ugly, horrible and evil watch. You should rid your self of it quickly. With WW shipping please.

• Like 1

Thommo82
2 minutes ago, paccbet said:

Thanks for posting buddy. That GS would fit in well with your collection. Love that vintage Certina from Brent!

The Certina is really nice mate!

I like that GS are really just a watch lovers watch. If you are not part of the community you will have never heard of them. 
For me personally, they are the ultimate grail. 

3 minutes ago, tribefan said:

That Draken is an ugly, horrible and evil watch. You should rid your self of it quickly. With WW shipping please.

Ha! 
Very affordable mate, $350USD

Comes in other colours too, well worth checking out mate.

• Like 1

Ant0702

Great collection and great thread. Really lovely blend of watches. 

• Like 1

Thommo82
1 minute ago, Ant0702 said:

Great collection and great thread. Really lovely blend of watches. 

Thank you

I’m currently trying to cover all bases. A GMT, moonphase, Grand Seiko springdrive and G-Shock mudmaster are on the shortlist. 

Edeeot

This is really an incredible collection, thanks for sharing.  I see you have a vintage Seamaster on your want list. Love mine, GL on finding one for your collection.

ZZuy4b.jpg

• Like 2

Thommo82
5 minutes ago, Edeeot said:

This is really an incredible collection, thanks for sharing.  I see you have a vintage Seamaster on your want list. Love mine, GL on finding one for your collection.

ZZuy4b.jpg

That’s lovely mate!

There is a certain charm to a vintage seamaster. I wish someone in my family had bought one years ago to pass down to me

• Like 1

tribefan
2 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

Ha! 
Very affordable mate, $350USD

Comes in other colours too, well worth checking out mate.

:thumbsup2:

Been looking around, not all that easy to come by. Really like that one, nice collection! Another one to add to the hunt.

Thommo82
31 minutes ago, tribefan said:

:thumbsup2:

Been looking around, not all that easy to come by. Really like that one, nice collection! Another one to add to the hunt.

If it helps
https://www.drakenwatches.com/

semperfi55
On 13/09/2020 at 04:40, Thommo82 said:

Certina DS-2 Precidrive Chronograph;

The chronograph function on this Certina has a 100th of a second timing feature. When engaged, the central green chronograph hand ticks once per second and the white chronograph hand beneath it races around the dial once every second. Fantastic to watch. 

I love the one second/revolution function. Managed to play around with a Zenith Defy 21 at the AD and that hand TEARS around the dial! 

Is the Certina quartz or mechanical? If quartz, that function must eat up a lot of battery (if used).

Was there a specific watch/point when you decided to switch to gens? Or more of a gradual realisation?

I admire that your collection focuses on the designs you like, never mind the branding. Personally, I still can't get past the branding hangup (e.g. ooooh it says Rolex/AP/Patek/Lange/ VC on the dial, that makes it better!).

Thanks for taking the time to add descriptions for each watch too. Enjoyed reading about watches that I'm unfamiliar with :thumbsup:

Thommo82
1 hour ago, semperfi55 said:

I love the one second/revolution function. Managed to play around with a Zenith Defy 21 at the AD and that hand TEARS around the dial! 

Is the Certina quartz or mechanical? If quartz, that function must eat up a lot of battery (if used).

Was there a specific watch/point when you decided to switch to gens? Or more of a gradual realisation?

I admire that your collection focuses on the designs you like, never mind the branding. Personally, I still can't get past the branding hangup (e.g. ooooh it says Rolex/AP/Patek/Lange/ VC on the dial, that makes it better!).

Thanks for taking the time to add descriptions for each watch too. Enjoyed reading about watches that I'm unfamiliar with :thumbsup:

Hey mate,

The Certina Chrono is a Quartz Precidrive movement made by ETA specifically for Certina. It is a very high precision Quartz with an accuracy of 8 seconds per year. 
I focus my collection on mechanical watches, however I, like everyone else, must adhere to my budget, and a mechanical watch with these features doesn’t make financial sense. 

As far as the switch to gen only, I just wasn’t happy looking at a name on the dial of my watch who didn’t make the watch. In saying that I have no issue whatsoever with replica watches, I still admire them, they are just not for me anymore. 

I agree with the branding hang up. I research the hell out of a watch before I buy it. I look for extreme value for money with watches that go the extra mile and in turn make me smile when I wear them.  Value for money in brands such as Longines, Oris, Certina and Hamilton, which all feature in my collection is fantastic. I have a rather wealthy friend who has Breitling, Rolex and Tag Huer watches in his collection, and despite maybe the movement housed inside, I see no difference in quality and finishing when compared to some of my watches, only price. 
To take that one step further, My Formex Essence has (IMHO) equal if not better finishings than my friends Rolex Deep Sea, and the bracelet on the Formex feels better. It really is that good. 
The are both chronometers, his with an in-house Rolex movement, mine with an SW200. 
Yet my Formex only cost me $1000USD and his Rolex cost, well, Rolex prices.....

Even if I had the budget for a gen Deep Sea, I would choose the Formex.

I think the beauty of this hobby is that we all like different things. I’ve seen watches of yours that fascinate me, however I have no desire to own them. We all have our own style. I for one am not hung up on collecting watches that I think others will like, I collect the watches that I like. 

I actually wanted to write more of a description about each watch, but just adding all the pictures took forever, so I made it brief. 

Glad you liked this post mate, it will be added to as my watches grace my presence.

Reuben