Alan32

Hidden gems or fashion watch faux pas?

Alan32

Just wanted to get a few opinions on a couple of watches I bought recently.

The first I bought because of its  futuristic bezel design.  It  is a dive style watch 100 m WR, 316l, solid end links and bracelet with a Swiss (Quartz) chronograph movement with date complication that has a small second dial which becomes a 1/10 seconds when the chronograph is started and the movement when hacked the small second resets to the twelve o'clock.

ZjYXzY.jpg

As you can see it's a Gianni Sabatini (who TF?) and cost me £19.99

The second is a 42mm , 316l, solid links /end links  50m WR minimalist  dressy watch with an ETA 2824-2 movement and sapphire front and back.

ZjYkkk.jpg

ZjYwVo.jpg

ZjYMaJ.jpg

As you can see it's by Calvin Klein  and cost me £130 ( Original Msrp @ £600 )

The question is, These are both  good high spec watches and very cheap but, how many people would not entertain these watches because they are Fashion brands?

(note to modders these 2824-2 are going for between £80 in TK maxx through $139 on Joma shop to £169 on e bay, a lot less that the movements alone!)

paccbet

That CK is super nice actually. Like Ralph Lauren (who uses JLC movements) I'm surprised that the CK is an auto movement, let alone an ETA. Mad!

• Like 2

Thommo82

Have seen various CK watches for sale at fantastic prices for the specs. 
Call me a snob, but I just don’t want CK on my dial. 
In saying that, I bet it’s a great watch

Alan32
14 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Have thought about a dial swap but I like the idea of wearing a hidden gem:D

FunnyStarSystem

The funny thing about Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren is they both were just poor Jewish kids from the Bronx who made good. The idea that anyone from my parent's generation and neighborhoods would grow up to run international fashion houses is endlessly hilarious to me, and yet a very large percentage of the big American fashion houses came from the same roots. 

• Like 1

Flinnt

The CK is a great looking watch and I would’ve bought it because of the movement. 
But yeah I don’t think I’d want Calvin on the dial. Maybe a silver Sharpie mod? 

• Like 2

GenTLe

Personally when I see these things they're a no-no for me. Each factory should concentrate on their main production, so as much as I hate "Ducati's underwear", or fake brands like "Marina Militare" (this is a fashion brand that fake to be connected to our Italian navy - but it's not -) similarly I hate when some company which does a totally different product pick up a watch produced by someone else and slap on it its brand.

It's just a tentative to pick some money from people that doesn't know the article.

About that "Gianni Sabatini": that's clearly an Italian name, but I didn't manage to find *anything* on the web about that brand. It's probably some spin-off and I seriously doubt it's made in Italy (as it's not written anywhere, and considering the value of the "Made in Italy" if they were done here, it would have been written all over...).

Alan32
5 hours ago, Flinnt said:

The CK is a great looking watch and I would’ve bought it because of the movement. 
But yeah I don’t think I’d want Calvin on the dial. Maybe a silver Sharpie mod? 

You could try this!

This was the idea when I got the CK but I like it and it is going in my "quirky" box along with my "James Stewart" chronograph and my "Vladimir Putin" signed quartz:D

• Like 2

Alan32
On 16/09/2020 at 21:39, Thommo82 said:

Watch is so good I bought the gold version and have ordered an unmarked  gold rotor , retro dial and blued hands, so I can have a fancy/dressy watch for less than the price of a movement:D

all I have to do now is not f@£k up the mod:imok:

alange
On 17/09/2020 at 10:46, GenTLe said:

Personally when I see these things they're a no-no for me. Each factory should concentrate on their main production, so as much as I hate "Ducati's underwear", or fake brands like "Marina Militare" (this is a fashion brand that fake to be connected to our Italian navy - but it's not -) similarly I hate when some company which does a totally different product pick up a watch produced by someone else and slap on it its brand.

It's just a tentative to pick some money from people that doesn't know the article.

About that "Gianni Sabatini": that's clearly an Italian name, but I didn't manage to find *anything* on the web about that brand. It's probably some spin-off and I seriously doubt it's made in Italy (as it's not written anywhere, and considering the value of the "Made in Italy" if they were done here, it would have been written all over...).

Totally agree. For watch brands I always stick to watch companies that tend not to make any other products. (And reps, of course :D)

SteveA

The Gianni Sabatini is awful ,I wouldn’t entertain it because of the way it looks.The CK doesn’t look too bad but Iam with the others ,I don’t do designer/ fashion brands.

Philiusmaximus

My Dad gave me a Paul Smith watch not long ago. It was good looking and actually got a lot compliments.

I don't do fashion brands so haven't kept it and probably won't buy another which is a bit of a shame as it was nice looking.

Rx4Time

The Gianni Sabatini looks like a throw back to the turn of the millennium, a variation of a tag 2000.    Not my thing.   The Calvin Klein, couldn't wear it because of the name.   It's worth it to harvest the movement, and that's about it.  Maybe drop the Asian clone you are replacing in it and give it as a gift (inform them it's not the original movement), but that's about it.

k4jun

CK is surprisingly stunning watch, if it was 'gen/rep thread' I would immediately call it rep because it looks too good to be gen CK! :D

funkmon

It really is. I owned 4 of them, and I'm currently flipping them on eBay. Great option for a Swiss watch, but over time I just stopped enjoying the look of them, so I kept on not wearing them. Hence, to eBay they go!  I'm fine with my microbrands and stuff right now.

I will say, though, exactly nobody ever commented on my Calvin Klein watches.

darryldale

The CK is a nice looking dress watch and I would throw it on a decent leather strap and use it as such.

Couldn't see myself wearing it on bracelet or those other two atrocious straps.

thomaspek

Although Calvin Klein is a brand, you can still buy their company's watches for little money, and your post is proof of that. Of course, I am not a fan of such watches you have purchased, but everyone has their taste, and I have no right to judge you. On the contrary, I want to congratulate you that you are the owner of such a watch. I have been saving money for about three months, and I want to buy myself a new classic gold watch on this website https://topwatch2.com. Do you think it's worth buying watches only from well-known brands, or can you try to purchase watches from Noname companies?

Edited by thomaspek