Sign in to follow this  
kolchak

what's up with my Tat ti case?

kolchak

Just noticed the sides of my Tat case in between the lugs have a flat spot in the same place

on both sides. Is this due to a thick strap rubbing a soft ti case or are all Tat cases like this?

Also, Tat cases historically have some sharp edges - what is best way to file them down?

thanks much

IMAG0962.jpg

IMAG0963.jpg

gottahaverolex
Just noticed the sides of my Tat case in between the lugs have a flat spot in the same place

on both sides. Is this due to a thick strap rubbing a soft ti case or are all Tat cases like this?

Also, Tat cases historically have some sharp edges - what is best way to file them down?

thanks much

IMAG0962.jpg

IMAG0963.jpg

I believe they all have this. My ti case fromy 177m has theses as well. Not quite as pronounced but they are there

kolchak

thanks much

IMAG0962.jpg

IMAG0963.jpg

I believe they all have this. My ti case fromy 177m has theses as well. Not quite as pronounced but they are there

Thanks man - didn't know it was a ti thing.

Dr Yan

i received one from TAT with the exact same problem.

i sent it back to him and he replaced it.

the one i got in exchange still wasn't perfect but it was better so i just kept it.

at least on the replacement the flat spots were regular shaped semi circles and the same both ends

kolchak
i received one from TAT with the exact same problem.

i sent it back to him and he replaced it.

the one i got in exchange still wasn't perfect but it was better so i just kept it.

at least on the replacement the flat spots were regular shaped semi circles and the same both ends

I assume he does it to fit the thicker straps. My "bald spots" are almost symetrical & I'll be happy until they move to the back of my head.

Dr Yan

as far as i can make out the gens have a slight indent in the same place to accommodate the strap.

i had a look at a 177 in an AD last week.I think the lugs on the Ti cases are a little shorter, well there is a little less strap clearance at any rate.

The gen doesn't look anything like this though it is very smooth and difficult to notice.

the other thing i noticed on the tat case is that the brushing between the lugs is vertical where on the rest of the case it is horizontal, this doesn't help either.

i have tried to brush the case with a scotch pad but the titanium seems to be too hard.i have ordered a scotchpad for my dremel to try that.

Dr Yan

BTW if you put on a rubber strap it totally covers the dents anyway but leather doesnt

kolchak
as far as i can make out the gens have a slight indent in the same place to accommodate the strap.

i had a look at a 177 in an AD last week.I think the lugs on the Ti cases are a little shorter, well there is a little less strap clearance at any rate.

The gen doesn't look anything like this though it is very smooth and difficult to notice.

the other thing i noticed on the tat case is that the brushing between the lugs is vertical where on the rest of the case it is horizontal, this doesn't help either.

i have tried to brush the case with a scotch pad but the titanium seems to be too hard.i have ordered a scotchpad for my dremel to try that.

Will a scotch pad used around the edges of the case smooth out rough spots?

MikeMcNair

They all do indeed have them and it is for the strap.

And yes, scotch pad works wonders. I have used one on mine many times (almost daily) to ensure it looks brand new.

I recommend the "synthetic steel wool" which is virtually identicle but it does not deteriorate with use.

Looks the same, feels the same, but works better IMO

Dr Yan

Hi Mike,

do you have a link to where you can buy that?

Drhulee

This is what is referred to as the "strap dimple" and is one of the main complaints about PAM rep cases. Some older, harder to find, case sets and newest ones (005K etc) have a proper "dimple" which looks more like a thin notch just like the gen. Those "D" shaped dimples are the worst.

kolchak
This is what is referred to as the "strap dimple" and is one of the main complaints about PAM rep cases. Some older, harder to find, case sets and newest ones (005K etc) have a proper "dimple" which looks more like a thin notch just like the gen. Those "D" shaped dimples are the worst.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Guess I'm .starting a Pam collection at the right time in rep history..

E-Dub

Ok, so digging up this old thread because Kolchak referred me to it. I got this 177 from a TD just before CNY. Haven't worn it because of these "dimples". This is not Noob or H-Factory. TD says its "better quality" than H-Factory, but I didn't expect the case to look like this from other PAMs that I've owned (never a titanium one though) and I am debating trying to send it back if its not normal or just sell as "catch and release" to avoid the hassle of waiting.

What do the experts think?

Here it is like Kolchak's pic above:

dimple.jpg

With a thin rep strap:

dimplethinstrap.jpg

And with a Thick aftermarket strap:

dimplethickstrap.jpg

So should I make a grievance? Or is my 177 supposed to look like this? Still not clear based on the answers to the other thread and to this one above.

What would you do?

E Double

BTW, I've sent the dealer an email, but haven't (didn't expect to) heard back yet.

E-Dub