Sign in to follow this  
pamelo

Where to service reps?

pamelo

Simple question here. Where can one service reps, other than in China? My experience is your local jeweler is reluctant to work on reps.

For example, I have a Movado rep with the little "dot" on the face that has become unglued and is floating around the dial. I've taken it to two jewelers so far, who have refused to work on it ("we don't do reps"). You have to take the dial off from the back, but it isn't obvious how do do that once you have the back off. Looks like you have to unscrew the stem and remove the quartz movement and face hands. But the movement sits in a plastic housing,behind the face, and it's not obvious how to remove the plastic housing which is sealed inside the flanged metal case. There has to be a way, since the crystal is flat glass, and not accessible from the front.

Anyways, I'm stuck until I find somebody who will work on reps--hopefully local. I would think this would be a problem with some of the reps here. Eventually, these watches will need servicing.

Edited by pamelo

onzenuub

Ska, Francisco, Domi are guys who can help.

pollux1
+1 Onze

onzenuub
+1 Onze

Me thinks that is a very contentious answer.

pollux1
+1 Onze

You knew? It may or may not be the most contentious answer there ever was, in the realm of contentious things which must be answered of course.

pamelo
+1 Onze

You knew? It may or may not be the most contentious answer there ever was, in the realm of contentious things which must be answered of course.

I figured some of you guys might know. After all, every watch eventually needs servicing. :P

I googled it, and came up with www.cleanmywatch.com , in Long Island ,NY. Spoke to Russell on the phone.

He says he does any watch--including Chinese, reps, even tourbillons. He also will do gen Rolexes, Breitlings, etc.

regular maintenance on the latter, $400. including $50 he charges up front for inspecting any watch--counts in the cost if he works on it. That compares with $600 the dealers want to maintain these luxury watches. Figure on $25 in postage charges as well.

Says reps can be pricey if needing repair. He fixed a rep daytona for $700--probably a watch that cost $100-200 new.

I also have started phoning around in my area. I found a low end private dealer who services reps, and will probably bring my Movado in to her.

This is an important subject, by the way, for all rep owners. Suggest we build a list of trusted rep watch repairers on this site similar to the trusted dealer list. Especially USA repairers, maybe Europe, too. You know they are out there.

Edited by pamelo

onzenuub
+1 Onze

I figured some of you guys might know. After all, every watch eventually needs servicing. :P

I googled it, and came up with www.cleanmywatch.com , in Long Island ,NY. Spoke to Russell on the phone.

He says he does any watch--including Chinese, reps, even tourbillons. He also will do gen Rolexes, Breitlings, etc.

regular maintenance on the latter, $400. including $50 he charges up front for inspecting any watch--counts in the cost if he works on it. That compares with $600 the dealers want to maintain these luxury watches. Figure on $25 in postage charges as well.

Says reps can be pricey if needing repair. He fixed a rep daytona for $700--probably a watch that cost $100-200 new.

I also have started phoning around in my area. I found a low end private dealer who services reps, and will probably bring my Movado in to her.

This is an important subject, by the way, for all rep owners. Suggest we build a list of trusted rep watch repairers on this site similar to the trusted dealer list. Especially USA repairers, maybe Europe, too. You know they are out there.

If you're from LI, NY you have tp pm SFA about this. He is from the same jungle and knows his adresses fro servicing rep watches. ;)

+1 Onze

You're so very very right.

narikaa
He fixed a rep daytona for $700--probably a watch that cost $100-200 new.

Does he perchance wear a tricorn hat, a mask and a pair of pistols?

highwayman.jpg

Slim
I figured some of you guys might know. After all, every watch eventually needs servicing. :)

regular maintenance on the latter, $400. including $50 he charges up front for inspecting any watch--counts in the cost if he works on it. That compares with $600 the dealers want to maintain these luxury watches.

I know a very good watch repairer in the UK who will service a Rolex for £120 - it definitely pays to find a good independent watch man. That said it won't do the value of the watch any good if it's not maintained by a certified repairer, but if you aren't going to sell it that's not important.

MikeMcNair

I'm in PA :)

tsomers
+1 Onze

I figured some of you guys might know. After all, every watch eventually needs servicing. :)

Why wouldn't you just ride the watch until death and by a new one for 1/3 of the service price?

Mike can repair watches in the US, great communication pre repair, I would assume the same for during and post repair, but I not there yet =)

Tom

pier8387
+1 Onze

Why wouldn't you just ride the watch until death and by a new one for 1/3 of the service price?

Mike can repair watches in the US, great communication pre repair, I would assume the same for during and post repair, but I not there yet =)

Tom

Mike in US? Which Mike? I have a dead rep watch is waiting for repair.

tsomers
Mike in US? Which Mike? I have a dead rep watch is waiting for repair.

mikemcnair in PA, he posted two post up from yours, post number 10.

pamelo

If you're from LI, NY you have tp pm SFA about this. He is from the same jungle and knows his adresses fro servicing rep watches. :)

[

From Philadelphia/ northern Delaware area.

pamelo
I'm in PA ;)

Are you in the Philly area? I can drop it off to you. :)

MikeMcNair
I'm in PA :picard:

Are you in the Philly area? I can drop it off to you. :lol:

For others to know, I am indeed about 35 min from Philadelphia Pa.