thomas1406

Crown OMG SeaMaster 43.5

thomas1406

Hello,

I have a problem today with my OMG seaMaster planet Ocean 43.5,

I can change date and hours, but i can't screw the crown on the case.

It is an ETA movement 
Nickel Plated Swiss Eta 2836-2 Automatic Movement, 28800bph, 25J, Decorated Insignia Rotor, Modified GMT Functions, All Markings of Omega 8605 Calibre Present

Does somebody can help me to understand the troubleshooting?

I post pictures here https://we.tl/b-4YsX53br1j
Thanks a lot

Edited by thomas1406
Add info

BadPickle

Most likely the crown threads are stripped, new crown needed.

FudgyDocker

Strange, I've always thought that tube threads were external. On yours, they appear to be internal. But when you look at what's on the crown, there's nothing there! Stu is right, stripped crown threads - new crown required. 

And I suspect that it's OMF, not OMG :giggle:

GenTLe

If, as most probably, the crown thread is gone, you basically have 3 choices.

A) replace the crown, but it can easily happen that soon the new one will end up the same

B) block the crown clutch (with superglue or something similar), shorten the stem and use it as a non screwdown crown. Again it my be tricky to block the clutch in a stable way

C) considering the tube thread is inside, you can pinch A BIT the tube in order to have the tube tighter so that it grips on the crown again. And this too requires a delicate usage of the crown from that moment on.

4 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

Strange, I've always thought that tube threads were external. On yours, they appear to be internal. But when you look at what's on the crown, there's nothing there! Stu is right, stripped crown threads - new crown required. 

And I suspect that it's OMF, not OMG :giggle:

There are quite a few with this configuration. I.e. the Breitling SOH which also had the exact same problem (I pinched the tube and, for now, it works). Also the BigPilot are done that way.

shudoctor
Hello

FudgyDocker
8 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

A) replace the crown, but it can easily happen that soon the new one will end up the same

B) block the crown clutch (with superglue or something similar), shorten the stem and use it as a non screwdown crown. Again it my be tricky to block the clutch in a stable way

C) considering the tube thread is inside, you can pinch A BIT the tube in order to have the tube tighter so that it grips on the crown again. And this too requires a delicate usage of the crown from that moment on.

@thomas1406 - given that you probably paid a lot more for one with a Gen ETA in it, out of the options above, I would say the following

A. is the correct way to repair the watch
B is an irreversible Bodge
C is an irreversible Bodge

I would go to the TD that you purchased the watch from, send the pictures you have posted and ask if they'll try to source you an OMF crown for it, or a crown and stem complete. Then you'll need to replace it.

thomas1406

Hello everybody,

Thanks a lot for all yours detailled answers.

I have contacted the seller and he source the part for me.

Then i change the crown,

What do you think about to change the tube too?

But i have no idea to remove it and replace it? Can you help me?

It seem tube is screwed in the case and perhaps with glue...

Hope these part will are to so expensive...

Thanks friends