Popperini

A Substantial Shoal of Subs

Edeeot

Thanks for the great writeup. I really learned a lot about Rolex that I wasn't aware.  You have a great collection and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

• Like 1

Popperini
6 hours ago, dingle said:

It is time to sell and go genuine. 

Well, I do wonder about that... but I'm reluctant to commit to investing so much in one watch, when I know it wouldn't seem much (if at all) more special than the Frankens.

• Like 2

GC

ZKZuuS.gif

• Like 1

Mbari

Holy cacaw!!! Always inspired by your collection. The tropical Tripdog 5513 is amazing amongst many others. Curious about your rotation schedule

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Popperini
5 hours ago, Mbari said:

Holy cacaw!!! Always inspired by your collection. The tropical Tripdog 5513 is amazing amongst many others. Curious about your rotation schedule emoji6.png

Thanks buddy! Re. my rotation schedule - I tend to start on my back, then roll to the right, and I normally wake up on my back again.

dingle
17 hours ago, Popperini said:

Well, I do wonder about that... but I'm reluctant to commit to investing so much in one watch, when I know it wouldn't seem much (if at all) more special than the Frankens.

Trust me. It’s a different feeling knowing you have a genuine on......

FunnyStarSystem

@Popperini, have you done an accounting of the cost of replacing your collection with all gens? How many millions, I wonder?

• Like 1

wobble44

Personally I don’t think there is enough Subs here. I think it needs a 6 digit Franken to complete the set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Popperini
7 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

@Popperini, have you done an accounting of the cost of replacing your collection with all gens? How many millions, I wonder?

I started to do that in the "big spreadsheet of shame" in which I keep track of what I've spent, but I haven't kept that column up to date. I'll do it later on - it would be funny to see what it all adds up to.

7 hours ago, dingle said:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I know how nice it is to own genuine things. But as I said in the piece - I also know that a large part of what I'd feel would be anxiety about the value of a singular item, particularly given how clumsy I am. And I'm not wealthy enough to be dismissive about items that cost multiple thousands.

• Like 1

Intresting
6 minutes ago, Popperini said:

. And I'm not wealthy enough to be dismissive about items that cost multiple thousands.

errr.   any of the super frankens cost multiple thousands on completion?

GingerApple
8 hours ago, dingle said:

True, but 'different' doesn't necessarily equate to 'better' (for everyone). For me, if I put on a friend's Gen, I tend to think 'what a rip off'. Owning a Gen would be a negative different feeling for me, not positive.

Plus if I went Gen, I'd only have a few watches instead of tens of watches. I'm deffo sticking to reps.

• Like 1

Popperini
11 minutes ago, Intresting said:

errr.   any of the super frankens cost multiple thousands on completion?

The most pricey was two grand. Which I guess is "multiple", technically... :) 

Waspy

There certainly has been a mixed reaction to this post, but most are grateful for the time and effort you have put into it.

You certainly must have lurked a lot in M2M to hoover that lot up, time consuming I would have thought.

If you like to keep your watches serviced then that is a big financial commitment, of course you could just not bother if they are working OK.

Even if you wanted to sell them all and go gen, that wouldn't be easy, you couldn't exactly flood the M2M market with them all at once.

But of course the number of watches you want to own and your financial situation is your own business.

If it was me I would sell my least favourites, or duplicates, at the rate of one a month until I had enough for my favourite gen (probably a 16613LN would be my choice)

But still keep some of the best frankens for everyday wear and the gen for special occasions.

But that's just me. It's a free country, it's no one else's business if you want to crack on scooping up more subs.

Intresting
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

The most pricey was two grand. Which I guess is "multiple", technically... :) 

Exactly :)    But... its a great collection.   Rivals anyone's gen collection, looks wise.

• Like 1

Bill_C

I love this! I have been scouring both RWG and RWI's mod pages for a while looking for examples of 5512 and 5513 mods. You put everything I could ever want into a single thread and now I am more convinced than ever that I need to pick me up a "vintagized" 5513 for my collection. They are just brilliant.

• Like 1

nofitstate

That's some collection and some post! Nice to read a bit about them too. They say it's good to have a hobby, and you definitely have one right there. You'll never be short of a sub for any occasion. 

• Like 1

LarsonLarsen

Took me overnight, but finally got through the entire OP. Fun little journey!

Great write ups.

Great pictures.

Great post.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

dingle
13 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

True, but 'different' doesn't necessarily equate to 'better' (for everyone). For me, if I put on a friend's Gen, I tend to think 'what a rip off'. Owning a Gen would be a negative different feeling for me, not positive.

Plus if I went Gen, I'd only have a few watches instead of tens of watches. I'm deffo sticking to reps.

Noob. Time will tell. 

GingerApple

:rofl:

Fair comment.

I just think I'm too fucking tight to go Gen. Seriously tight.

I'm like the exact opposite of Junior's wife's vagina.

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem

The only thing really remaining to ask is, what's your address @Popperini?

I've often thought how funny it would be if I were burgled (I keep my high value gens separate and well hidden) to see the look on the thief's face when he finds out about Guangzhou's finest :D

Which reminds me a bit of this dude's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo&feature=emb_logo

• Like 1

ElvisFreak

thanks for the show of insanity....

Makes me want to watch American Psycho....:evilgrin:

Pepperoni, can you sell me that tropic 5513?

• Like 1

HomeRye

Wow, another incredible set of photos of your collection my friend and it's also really helped up my knowledge level on the various models and options. Lol, makes me laugh when I feel like thinning the heard when I'm still in single digits!!

• Like 1

HomeRye

@Popperini  Are there any subs that are still on your 'must buy' list that your collection is missing?

Popperini
1 hour ago, HomeRye said:

@Popperini  Are there any subs that are still on your 'must buy' list that your collection is missing?

I don’t think so HomeRye. The only Sub I’m still keen to build/acquire is a higher quality 1680. I’ve got a really good looking refinished dial coming from MoChaCha which I’ll be basing that on. 

I had a DSSD D-blue by BP which I sold, and I still think it has the best version of the D-blue blue/black dial. I also had a Noob, and the blue was way too dark. I’d snap up another BP if one came up M2M.

• Like 2

HomeRye
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

I don’t think so HomeRye. The only Sub I’m still keen to build/acquire is a higher quality 1680. I’ve got a really good looking refinished dial coming from MoChaCha which I’ll be basing that on. 

I had a DSSD D-blue by BP which I sold, and I still think it has the best version of the D-blue blue/black dial. I also had a Noob, and the blue was way too dark. I’d snap up another BP if one came up M2M.

The three you've got look pretty good :-)      Do you do much modding yourself?  I fancy getting into that - so perhaps should get my finger out and buy some kit.

From your posting then I'm very tempted to get a COMEX dial 1665  - I'm assuming Marvellous Replica is the best source?

• Like 1