Popperini

A Substantial Shoal of Subs

Popperini
1 hour ago, HomeRye said:

The three you've got look pretty good :-)      Do you do much modding yourself?  I fancy getting into that - so perhaps should get my finger out and buy some kit.

From your posting then I'm very tempted to get a COMEX dial 1665  - I'm assuming Marvellous Replica is the best source?

Yep, I've spent the last two years getting into modding. Still got a long way to go before I can really call myself a modder though... :) 

Deffo get your COMEX dial 1665 from Marv - M's prices are unbeatable and he's great to deal with.

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
12 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Yep, I've spent the last two years getting into modding. Still got a long way to go before I can really call myself a modder though... :) 

Deffo get your COMEX dial 1665 from Marv - M's prices are unbeatable and he's great to deal with.

M offers a nice discount for paying in Bitcoin too :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

HomeRye
Yep, I've spent the last two years getting into modding. Still got a long way to go before I can really call myself a modder though...  

Cheers mate - good steer :-)

Popperini
9 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

M offers a nice discount for paying in Bitcoin too :thumbsup2:

a) I wouldn't know where to start with Bitcoin

b) How much cheaper can the Cartel watches get than $100..? :) 

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
10 hours ago, Popperini said:

a) I wouldn't know where to start with Bitcoin

b) How much cheaper can the Cartel watches get than $100..? :) 

A.) https://www.coinbase.com/ It's a good time to start dabbling actually.

B.) He sells more than just JKF cheepies :thumbsup:

All said in love and respect for your amazing collection :)

Popperini
1 hour ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

B.) He sells more than just JKF cheepies :thumbsup:

Hehe, yeah I know - I was just jokin' around! :D 

The gambling element of crypto really scares me too much to even dabble...

• Like 1

UmpaHimself

Damn, I thought I liked subs and had too many (5). Great collection!

Cracks me up that you started with not knowing what a screw down crown is to full blow addiction. Watches are the best!

• Like 1

Waspy
On 16/10/2020 at 21:28, Popperini said:

The gambling element of crypto really scares me too much to even dabble...

it's really not that hard mate, no gamble really, you buy Bitcoin and pay it out in the same day.

But why bother? Marv does bank transfer, as I'm sure you know.

Popperini
8 minutes ago, Waspy said:

Marv does bank transfer, as I'm sure you know.

Yep, zackly!

Member X

Great collection!  And I thought I was bad for buying similar things  :)  lol

18 hours ago, Waspy said:

it's really not that hard mate, no gamble really, you buy Bitcoin and pay it out in the same day.

But why bother? Marv does bank transfer, as I'm sure you know.

That seems to be saying that a Bitcoin is now £10k+ ???

So one only buys a fraction of a Bitcoin?

These sort of questions are why I don't use electronic money :lol:

Bill_C

So one only buys a fraction of a Bitcoin?

That's correct. You can purchase any fractional amount of a coin. This goes for any cryptocurrency. The process for buying and paying in cryptocurrency is pretty straightforward once you do it once or twice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem

I only mentioned it because I know some people keep an investment account of Blockchain, and it's as easy to use as PP if you want to purchase something, easier actually because there's no currency exchange, and it's instantaneous. It takes time to set up the account initially, so I wouldn't recommend it simply for purchasing a rep, but once you have an account, nothing is easier imho. 

• Like 1

Member X

Thanks, chaps :)

The risk of currency movements / 'exchange rates' and all that stuff makes me very hesitant to use something like that, other than as an instantaneous payment tool!

Anyone sitting with serious money in cryptocurrency is far braver than me... :D lol  (which is why they have serious money and I don't, I'm sure!!)

stormtooper4

WOW 

jcagara08

Amazing post!

but this really answers the age old question;

"Who has the best sub?"

Popperini

@stormtooper4 and @jcagara08 thanks! (Especially for steering the thread back on topic - ie a Sub celebration - and off bloody cryptocurrency...) :) 

stormtooper4
16 hours ago, Popperini said:

@stormtooper4 and @jcagara08 thanks! (Especially for steering the thread back on topic - ie a Sub celebration - and off bloody cryptocurrency...) :) 

I was pretty speechless at your collection TBH , a tad envious but equally impressed by your choices and acquisition skills.

But I am blown away by your photography skills, some of those shots are superb especially some of the group shots .

I never knew there were hexagons on the Bamford dials and the print on the comex is a standout 

Edited by stormtooper4
  • Like 2

Diplomatico

@Popperini Insane collection, well done! :bugeyes: Now that you've won the sub game let's jump aboard the DJ and GMT train :) 

Popperini
18 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

@Popperini Insane collection, well done! :bugeyes: Now that you've won the sub game let's jump aboard the DJ and GMT train :) 

I do like the GMT. And I'll hopefully finish enough of the GMT projects I've got squirreled away to justify a little article one day..!

And Mrs. Pops is on the DJ train - as I've bought her 4 of 'em!

Diplomatico
28 minutes ago, Popperini said:

I do like the GMT. And I'll hopefully finish enough of the GMT projects I've got squirreled away to justify a little article one day..!

And Mrs. Pops is on the DJ train - as I've bought her 4 of 'em!

Looking forward to it:clap:

butler182

Great read, great pics, well done!

• Like 1

BoobBandit

sweet mother of everything large and small! 

dude. Woah. Lol.  Momentarily speechless.

Thanks for writing this up. Beautiful pictures, and thanks for sharing!

enjoy your collection in good health! Cheers !

• Like 1

Gliu

Wow. came across this. AMAZING...

@Popperini

In all your online travels…..have you ever encountered any 38mm or 39mm sub rep that doesn’t have overly antiqued lume? Similar to the 5512 and 5513 you show - those are nice and not overdone.

For instance trusty time has some 5512, 5513 and 6200 reps listed as 39 and 38.5mm but lume is overly antiqued, not as nice as your 5512 and 5512 examples. Are those true to gen 40mm or 39mm reps? And trusty has plenty of 38mm big crowns but again, overly aggressive antiqued lume.

Spent tons of time searching with TDs and this forum and others to no avail, appreciate any guidance……

Popperini
14 hours ago, Gliu said:

Wow. came across this. AMAZING...

@Popperini

In all your online travels…..have you ever encountered any 38mm or 39mm sub rep that doesn’t have overly antiqued lume? Similar to the 5512 and 5513 you show - those are nice and not overdone.

For instance trusty time has some 5512, 5513 and 6200 reps listed as 39 and 38.5mm but lume is overly antiqued, not as nice as your 5512 and 5512 examples. Are those true to gen 40mm or 39mm reps? And trusty has plenty of 38mm big crowns but again, overly aggressive antiqued lume.

Spent tons of time searching with TDs and this forum and others to no avail, appreciate any guidance……

The early big/small crown Subs were 38mm. The Subs with lugs increased in size - the 5512 is meant to be 39.5mm and the 5513 is 40mm. Half the time the descriptions on the TD sites are bollocks, so I wouldn't take much notice of them. The common cartel (BP, JKF) Sub reps are all pretty much exactly the correct dimensions - not that I've ever bothered to check, because they're used as the base for some lovely builds, which is good enough recommendation for me. The lume on cartel Subs is as you see it in my photos. So again, I'm not sure where you're seeing "overly aggressive antiqued lume" on TD examples.

Take a look at Marvellous Replica's offer on cartel Subs. It's been running since 2016 and is the best way into vintage Sub buying, IMO.:

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/120447-special-offer-jkf-vintage-rolex-1680-5512551355145517-1665-series/

None of the JKF models listed there has antiqued lume.

• Like 1