ASU1808

Watch winders? What movement? Need advise. Thanks

ASU1808

Since none of  the REP come with any manuals that  dictate what TPD or direction movement preferred   Im seeing some winders that go 2800 RPD, and then some as low as 600.  Some rotate all day. Some rest ever 4 hours, etc... And does the movement really mater clockwise, counter clockwise or Bi directional?  I dont wear the same watch and rotate ,  a lot mine  sit for 4-5 days  without wearing.... Any advise.  Most high end watches I have want about 850 RPD.....I  assume the  cheaper movements  need more, but I dont want to burn them out...

Thank you

Edited by ASU1808

GenTLe

Don't use them, they just shorten the life of your watches. Prepare the watch the evening before hanwinding them and setting time and date, if the morning after there's no time.

Thommo82

You wouldn’t leave your car running in the garage whilst you were not using it would you?

Same goes with your watches. 

• Like 1

Member X

One situation I can see them being useful, though, is for watches with crown/case threads made of chocolate...  I'm looking at you SOH v2 :mad:

In that situation, I think setting the time/date and then caaaaaarefully doing the crown up, and then strapping it to a watchwinder that runs for a couple of hours each day, would surely be less risky (for the crown/case issues).

Hot Little Xixi

I know this is an old thread but just in case anyone reads it, it's not like leaving your car running in your garage. Leaving your automatic watches sit in a drawer is like not running your car for two years then wondering why the hoses and seals are all cracked and leaking. From all the research I've done most experts and watchmakers agree that letting an automatic watch sit idle dries out the oils that lubricate it, shortening its lifespan. Winders also avoid hand winding which is not good for automatic watches, some more so than others. For example, in genuine ETA automatic movements hand winding can break off gear teeth and send them into moving watch parts. I keep all of my reps on winders. The only downside is I have to buy another winder every 4 reps...

Edited by Hot Little Xixi

fatarms
3 minutes ago, Hot Little Xixi said:

I know this is an old thread but just in case anyone reads it, it's not like leaving your car running in your garage. Leaving your automatic watches sit in a drawer is like not running your car for two years then wondering why the hoses and seals are all cracked and leaking. From all the research I've done most experts and watchmakers agree that letting an automatic watch sit idle dries out the oils that lubricate it, shortening its lifespan. Winders also avoid hand winding which is not good for automatic watches, some more so than others. For example, in genuine ETA automatic movements hand winding can break off gear teeth and send them into moving watch parts. I keep all of my reps on winders. The only downside is I have to buy another winder every 4 reps...

Yeah, depends where you read and what article.  This is a neverending argument.  Some say let them sit, others say let them run.  Oils may dry up, but what about fatigue on parts if they're kept running.  Then you need a service plus parts.

I'm arguing with a sex doll.  Go me.

• Like 3

Devil
3 minutes ago, fatarms said:

I'm arguing with a sex doll.  Go me.

:rofl:

Hot Little Xixi

I'm not that perfect but thank you for the compliment! 

Wet kisses,

Xi