ianmarsh

Greetings from London

ianmarsh

Hi, total newbie to replica/homage watches but I've fallen for the look of vintage Panerai watches but my wallet says "no!"  As, more importantly, does my wife.

BadPickle
3 hours ago, ianmarsh said:

Hi, total newbie to replica/homage watches but I've fallen for the look of vintage Panerai watches but my wallet says "no!"  As, more importantly, does my wife.

:lol: welcome to the forum 

tribefan

You've come to the right place. Hint: while you are researching PAM's, also research Cartier quartz for the wife. ;)

GingerApple

Waste as much money on reps as we do and your wife will soon leave you, thus solving your dilemma.

Welcome aboard.

thomson

Hi there.....

Robse1

You entered Hell....ehm Watch Heaven. Welcome Mate :D

ianmarsh

It seems to be getting worse.  First I bought a simple rep of a Tudor GMT.  All good, so far.  Then I commissioned a vintage panerai build.  This was excellent (and I probably should have stopped there).  But then I bought a cheap vintage panerai build, and broke the movement trying to see for myself how it had been put together.  Now I have a new movement waiting for a better dial currently in the mail from Ukraine so I can repair it.  Plus another dial and a case and a movement in the post so I can put one together myself.  

papabear244
It seems to be getting worse.  First I bought a simple rep of a Tudor GMT.  All good, so far.  Then I commissioned a vintage panerai build.  This was excellent (and I probably should have stopped there).  But then I bought a cheap vintage panerai build, and broke the movement trying to see for myself how it had been put together.  Now I have a new movement waiting for a better dial currently in the mail from Ukraine so I can repair it.  Plus another dial and a case and a movement in the post so I can put one together myself.  

Newbie here also going down the rabbit hole of building Pams. I like the look of the 127 but I find the 47mm too big for me which is why I am planning to build a “44mm 127” myself.

I am surprised you broke the movement, may I ask you how did it happen? I didn’t think it would be so delicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianmarsh
On 22/12/2020 at 14:18, papabear244 said:

Newbie here also going down the rabbit hole of building Pams. I like the look of the 127 but I find the 47mm too big for me which is why I am planning to build a “44mm 127” myself.

I am surprised you broke the movement, may I ask you how did it happen? I didn’t think it would be so delicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure what happened.  I bought a watch off another website and was promised everything with the watch was fine.  We have a slot for the mail pretty low down on our porch door but our regular postman knows he can open the door and leave mail on the floor.  Over Christmas, I guess the postman might change and for this one single delivery, whoever decided to deliver it opened the porch and stuffed the watch in its jiffy bag and marked fragile through the letter slot high on the inner door.  So it fell about five feet onto a wooden floor.  This movement doesn't have the incabloc shock protection that other models do, as far as I understand.  Whether this would have helped or not I cannot say as it is only supposed to work on drops of 1m or so.  Anyway, the watch worked perfectly well if kept horizontal, but when worn the mainspring wheel (probably not the correct term) would catch on other parts of the movement.  Now maybe it was sold to me in that state, or maybe my temporary postman made a mistake or maybe I was heavy-handed when inspecting the watch (my money is on this explanation).  But I've now sealed up the high letter slot and warned my regular postman that delicate stuff is incoming.

My dials from the Ukraine have arrived so I have a lovely 3646 with a vintage brown dial besides the creamy 6152/1 I commissioned.  The second dial is a brand new-looking california and I am planning to put this in a rose gold case still on its way from China to resemble a PAM00740

tribefan

I see your future. It involves all of these tools. Buy them now and save a watch or two. That's about what they will all cost anyway.