Big Beetle

ZF Factory Pilot Chronograph Spitfire Bronze

Big Beetle

Well, my second rep of the week turned up today and brightened an otherwise miserable and overcast Wednesday in the UK.  I ordered this one from Mary and her service and QC was excellent (I've left a review)

Much as I like Rolex, Patek etc, I tried to stay away from the obvious and order something a little different. One watch which I've always wanted since the day the gen came out has been IWC Spitfire Chrono in bronze. I'm not one for gold watches, but stainless gets a bit samey.  The colour of this watch is stunning and I can't wait to see what happens when it starts to develop a bit more of a patina. That said, I love the current colour so much, I'm severely tempted to wipe it over with beeswax or something to seal it up.

Having compared this to close up pictures of the original, I can't see any difference. It feels reassuringly weighty and the dial, hands and case are extremely well finished. The chrono buttons have  reassuring 'thunk' in operation and the chrono hands spring back with alacrity. The case back has the crisp detailed engraving of the original and the top of the crown is highly accurate with the ICW logo in place. Overall, the watch was faultless.

So plus points:

• Looks gorgeous and different from every other chrono I see around
  • The face, case, case back and crown are very accurate
  • The 41mm case is a really comfortable size
  • Day and date line up nicely in the window (although I'll have to give it some time to see if they roll over sweetly)
  • It's keeping good time (in the 24 hours I've had it!)

Any criticisms? Well....bearing in mind I've never tried a gen ...

• perhaps the leather strap is a bit stiff and isn't as supple as the gen might  be (I don't know as I've never held one) 
  • there's a bit of to and from play in the crown when setting the time
  • you can hear the rotor on the winding mech occasionally (I've put it as a criticism as it bothers some - I actually like it as it feels mechanical on your wrist)

If you can see any dust or artefacts in the pic, they're not on the watch! I gave it a quick wipe on my shirt and that was it! The mark on the back was butter off my fingers - morning tea and crumpets :)

ZeZ9NK.jpg  

ZeZTtb.jpg ZeZXNp.jpg ZeZP5i.png

This is a pic of the gen for reference - note, this is a pre-production model, they dropped the red 'Spitfire' for the production ones - bit of a shame that imho.

ZeZp0X.jpg

• Like 3

Michael Knight

Mine says hi !a9d0c65dc7d1832394dab095745febfb.jpg

Cap'n

I had a ZF Big Pilot LPP and when it came the leather strap was really stiff - with wear it has loosened up somewhat and is now lovely and supple - one of the best leather rep straps I've had. This is now one of those watches that I say I'll never sell - as you do and then change your mind. I saw the gen version of this watch in Dubai and like you, can tell very little difference. ZF seem to be spot on for IWC's

Nice watch btw - I'm with you, don't do gold but this bronze looks really well. I could be tempted if ti was slightly bigger - 42mm seems to be the smallest I get away with these days and in reality prefer a bit bigger. Really like it on that fabric strap though sir - enjoy. 

NCRich

That is a sharp watch!

tribefan

Gotta love bronze. One of the better rep straps and buckle too. Sweet watch, thanks for posting!

Oh, tea and crumpets after the watch pics, noob. :)

Cheers!

Steve36

Wow.... look better than I expected.. very nice fellas. 

Michael Knight

One thing is a very obvious tell tho:
The subdials are wrong positioned. The small second is at 9 oclock...the gen has it on 6 oclock.
But I couldnt care less.

Big Beetle
1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

One thing is a very obvious tell tho:
The subdials are wrong positioned. The small second is at 9 oclock...the gen has it on 6 oclock.
But I couldnt care less.

Forgot about that! Same as you though, doesn't bother me! 

Michael Knight

Already some nice patina on it!fc06dbdfcc01b2418df8b250405dd104.jpg20e17d31229cdc17fa54cb42aa424dfd.jpg

BadApple
7 hours ago, Big Beetle said:

Forgot about that! Same as you though, doesn't bother me! 

Still a beauty

Michael Knight

Nope. His last pic is a gen.

Big Beetle
1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Already some nice patina on it!

I’ve put some wax on mine this afternoon - see how long the current colour keeps.

Redfire1066

It is a real beauty that watch there . ...  ...  I am a fan of the  vintage style Big Pilot watches. . .    . ..  the  @BadApple  amazing posts on RWG of these Big Pilot's Watches have left me :drool:at times   .. . . . ...   :thumbsup2:

Nikosaldente

That's a Stunner mate! Congrats!

Can't wait to see how it looks when the Patina starts!