k4jun

Friday's Gen Rep Game

Date1988

Wayyy nicer than my old planet ocean rep

FudgyDocker

I'm going both. Gen head, rep bracelet.

fatarms

Was this revealed yet?   The suspense is killing other people. 

k4jun

It is a franken so it is Both:)

Gen:
- dial
- hands
- crystal
- crown
- helium
- bezel (+assembly)
- pearl

Rep:
- bezel insert
- case back
- case

Bracelet I do not know, I've bought it as 'unknown' and am sure it is not a typical $35-40 rep from ebay/Lina.

18 hours ago, tribefan said:

I have not seen a bracelet like that in the rep world.

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup2: Typical rep SMP bracelets have engraving on the clasp (only) but this one has also engravings on the SEL and links, and those engravings are correct for gen.
And this - in yellow - typicall rep SEL is made of one solid piece of metal, this bracelet have SEL like gen (mid-link-section is a seperate item, pushed into the endlink and then screwed).
ZenbLc.jpg
ZenSSI.jpg

When paired with gen springbars - it did not fit my gen, but it fits gen case when paired with slimmer springbars.
If anyone recognises this bracelet as the rep please let me know where to source such bracelet.

Pins - all pins in the removable links been replaced for gen pins, yeah perhaps they are not aligned but quite frankly alignment of the pins is not something what I care (even on my gens).

I don't get what you guys mean with bracelet being rough. The bracelet  was showing quite a wear and it's been refinished but even now I don't see it as rough, I would say it looks like 15-20 year bracelet should look, perhaps even too rounded but not rough.

21 hours ago, deju said:

sping bars for sure aren’t. They are bent to fu..... 

True :thumbsup2:The bracelet was a huge problem cause it wasn't fitting to the MK case. No wonder it didn't fit as the springbar holes were completely different

snluv.jpg

I have tried gen, rep, aftermarket springbars, straight and curved, all that was pointless as the SEL did not stay inside the case. Almost thought it is a lost case but thankfully @tripdog123 has cast some spells and had reshaped the SEL.

19 hours ago, Intresting said:

Am also suspicious why the pictures have the hands covering the datewheel.   Perhaps its to hide a tell.... :)    

Sir, that is some deep deeeep paranoia... :D

or not! :D:D:D

ZenxrX.jpg

I haven't found a gen 1120 DW yet, so for now it is sporting a MK 2500D DW, a little bit of the fantasy as this watch was never produced with 2500 movements.

As someone has pointed out, the smudged raindrops (and single AR crystal) haven't helped you to see it but printing on the dial is Ok. The dial is gen but have had some damage to the lume hence 4 markers been re-lumed.

BOKL5.jpg

19 hours ago, Intresting said:

Caseback Omega logo below the hippocampus looks too large compared to gen.  

:thumbsup2:yes, another tell is height, this caseback is 1mm taller than gen.

22 hours ago, TagMeInIt said:

The other thing for me is the Helium valve on the reps is 'usually' bang on 10 - you can see this one is lightly past it, just as the gens are.

:thumbsup2:true mate, gen helium is at 10.10, all cheap 21j cases have it wrong at 10.00 or even 9.50.

Closed Factory case have had a correct placement but beveling on that case was all wrong.

15 hours ago, juanmanuelp said:

At least, bezel insert is a rep

8 hours ago, k3rm87 said:

Also insert seems questionable,

22 hours ago, SunnyG said:

I'd say Rep..surely a Gen wouldnt have a misaligned pearl (looks slightly to the left within the triangle)? 

:thumbsup2:

Yep, gen pearl fitted into a rep insert, not my work but indeed the centering is off. On some photos you can also see that insert is not pressed correctly into the bezel. I did not care about it yet, this was ad-hoc just to check the action of bezel springs. Gen insert will be installed eventually.

Imo, the bezel is the biggest tell, it is a really old part which looks like 100 year old, all edges are soft as hell and does not really match to quite fresh case and bracelet. Not a fan of reworking of  those small scallops but hey, it has to be done.

Well done guys:thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Intresting

Good bit of fun @k4jun  :D    
It just so happened all your pics had the DW covered.   Who knows if it was coincidental.  Paranoia.  Maybe a touch  :fearlessleader:   So the DW is rep?  Its pretty good and centred, and will be a harder tell.
Did you do the relume yourself?    The fact that only 4 needed reluming was a little confusing.   I thought the 12 marker looked slightly "off" but the rest seemed ok.   Adds to the suspense and fun I suppose.

In any case, it looks really good.  Wear it in good health. 

k4jun

No mate I have no skills to work on the lume, it's Trip work, like the most of the head' assembly.

Yes, DW is rep. A correct font for this watch is this:

date-disc-calendar-for-movement-eta-2893

Watch is not in its final form yet but I feel it is a solid base;)

Intresting

So DW is next?  Will be looking forward to seeing your finished product.   You must really love Omega to do this. :)  

GingerApple

I have never felt more cheated! This is up there with the infamous 'Gen Snob Wanker/Just a Swatch' controversy of 2020.

Fucker!

k4jun
2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I have never felt more cheated! This is up there with the infamous 'Gen Snob Wanker/Just a Swatch' controversy of 2020.

Fucker!

So it is 1:1 Furball :D

Kernow

So, are we going to see this evolve further? :)

k4jun

Probably it will be something like this :D

ZYMIuj.jpg

Figmo

What I observed before reading the rest of the thread was the lugs to bracelet fit, because it's one of the first places I look. The presence of a noticeable gap between the two, the width thereof, and whether the gap is the same width or widens toward the lug tips is what I check.

In this image it's readily apparent:

Ze5GgY.jpg

I also observed that the bezel insert isn't seated flush with the bezel, which is another of the telltale signs I look for and is also visible in several images. Now I didn't bother to check whether or not it is a franken, but was confident the watch isn't 100% gen based on these and other indicators. On a final note, the "freshness" of the brushing on the case is a potential sign to look more closely, however an NOS or freshly OEM serviced piece will also look more "fresh" and shouldn't be counted out based only on that.

Darkstar5

I was going to guess rep based on the bezel insert not sitting flush and the lume on the dial looking so white. I think we were cheated ;). Looks great though!

If you get a bezel assembly for an America Cup SMP I bet it will solve the flushness (is that a word?) issue. The WG inserts are thicker than the standard aluminum insert. The pearl looks great on that insert though for an aftermarket. That's usually the tell for me.

EDIT: nvm... Just saw that it's a gen pearl and that you haven't bothered to fit the bezel completey yet. 

Edited by Darkstar5

k4jun

I do have photos of this demo - other insert reworked to take gen pearl and all resting on the bezel.
A bevel/chamfer between the bezel and insert is much nicer.

Zqo4Kc.jpg
ZqofUt.jpg
ZqoFQ2.jpg
ZqoGRE.jpg
ZqqzQP.jpg
ZqqjUJ.jpg
ZqqDxo.jpg
ZqogXk.jpg

k4jun
11 hours ago, Figmo said:

What I observed before reading the rest of the thread was the lugs to bracelet fit, because it's one of the first places I look. The presence of a noticeable gap between the two, the width thereof, and whether the gap is the same width or widens toward the lug tips is what I check.

Mate, that sounds very much like "The seekers of the best SEL on the Best sub", and is pretty much correct for ceramic subs;)

As a serial gen Omega owner I can assure you that Omega is more relaxed in regards to the SEL.

Figmo

Quite possibly! The way some sub hunters go on about SEL fit they're not 100% happy unless theirs required a hydraulic press to install :D

Be that as it may, unless I can spot something sufficiently incorrect on the dial or bezel, I next look at how well and neatly various parts are attached to its case. 

BravoDelta

I had the gen of this...

ZYEDEb.jpg
ZY7gti.jpg
ZY7ceX.jpg

jcagara08

amazing project here @k4jun wear it in good health buddy,

if you don't mind can you disclose how much was spent on this project?

and what is the movement you've installed on it?

the bracelet looks gen though, from where?

k4jun
18 hours ago, jcagara08 said:

amazing project here @k4jun wear it in good health buddy,

if you don't mind can you disclose how much was spent on this project?

and what is the movement you've installed on it?

the bracelet looks gen though, from where?

Hey mate, it is powered by MK' A2824, a total for 2254 project was $940-960 probably. 

jcagara08
On 13/04/2021 at 22:45, k4jun said:

Hey mate, it is powered by MK' A2824, a total for 2254 project was $940-960 probably. 

thanks for the reply, I am doing a 2531.80 build too but I will probably just use an ST 2130

by the way how in particular was it possible to fit the gen bracelet on the rep case?

did tripdog bore new holes closer to the edges of the lugs?

I am afraid of this issue, I hope the MK case has the holes for the spring bars almost at the end of the lugs so I can fit a gen 1503/825 bracelet

k4jun

@jcagara08 for me ST2130 and ours "A2824" probably are one and the same movement. If you are looking for the upgrade over the a2824 - perhaps try ST1812, it will give you a correct hands' and DW' direction, like gen.

Gen 1503/825 SEL and MK case do have a good fit. I have a gen 1503/825 on the other MK franken, don't remember have I used gen 1.8mm springbars or slimmer aftermarket springbars but i will check that for you.

brang1

How DARE you post a questionnaire that does not include Rolex- you should be put in stocks sir  - begone Witch 

jcagara08
On 16/04/2021 at 13:17, k4jun said:

@jcagara08 for me ST2130 and ours "A2824" probably are one and the same movement. If you are looking for the upgrade over the a2824 - perhaps try ST1812, it will give you a correct hands' and DW' direction, like gen.

Gen 1503/825 SEL and MK case do have a good fit. I have a gen 1503/825 on the other MK franken, don't remember have I used gen 1.8mm springbars or slimmer aftermarket springbars but i will check that for you.

interesting, if ever I will go with an ST1812, would I need a new movement ring to put inside the MK case or will the stock movement ring intended for the 2824 2836 eta movements do well?

how are the lug holes made in the MK case, is it at the end points or in the middle of the inside lugs? Do I need to bend spring bars in this case?