FunnyStarSystem

Help with 2836 Stem Issue

FunnyStarSystem

Hi gents,

I had an issue where the gmt hand on my noob explorer ii 2836 fell onto the dial and was gumming up the works because it couldn't clear the hour markers, so I removed the movement and set the hand back into the correct position (it seemed to have slipped down the pinion somehow, never seen anything like it before). But that is the least of my problems now because...

When removing the stem I noticed that the release button wasn't very pliant, had to check a diagram to be sure it was even the correct button, and it was. It required a good bit of force, nothing too much I didn't think, and eventually allowed for the stem to release. Once I fixed the gmt hand and put the movement back into the case, the hole where the release button had previously been now seemed empty! I used a loupe, and dug around carefully with an xacto point to see if it had gotten misplaced to the side, but no luck. And no amount of pressing into the bottom of the hole would allow for the stem to click back into place. I thought I had removed it in the correct position (with the movement stopped) but really have no idea what happened. For what it's worth this may be a flaw with the manufacturing because the hole and button appeared very coarse to begin with. 

Any ideas what I can do to get the stem set back in correctly, short of removing the hands and dial and taking the movement apart? I'm guessing I've somehow mucked up the keyless, but hoping there's something I can try to be sure, this was not a cheap watch!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've tracked down where this came from, didn't realize I am at least the fifth owner already! :D Seems that @simey83 had Rolie have a go with the keyless in the past, perhaps he can be of help - ? I have a feeling this may be curtains for the old girl, time for a new movement most likely.

Dr Fun Socks

Your going to need to reset the keyless. If your super lucky you may be able to poke the displaced part back into its hole from the side but you’ll definitely need to at least loosen the dial to achieve this. If your feeling brave, follow this video on the parts of disassembly and reassembly of the keyless. 

• Like 3

FunnyStarSystem

I was afraid of that. But thanks so much @Dr Fun Socks. There are plenty of resources including that very helpful video, the problem is more my eyesight and hand steadiness :blind:

But I'll give it a go, and post the tragic aftermath on here as a cautionary tale for all the sightless, unsteady noobs. It's a perfectly lovely piece besides the keyless, so most likely once I have grimly and utterly finished her, I will transplant a proper ETA in her chest cavity, and enthusiastically declare, "It's Alive" like a 1930's Hungarian mad scientist.

BravoDelta

Buy two of these, like me...one for each eye... :blind:

ZaWav1.jpg

• Like 1

Jibuti
22 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

Buy two of these, like me...one for each eye... :blind:

ZaWav1.jpg

Fuck, do you have whale sized eyes?! 

Diluted

same exact thing happened to me, i had to do this _twice_. It just takes some patience.

• Like 1

BravoDelta
23 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

Fuck, do you have whale sized eyes?! 

JK...I only have one :D. But they are really nice. 

• Like 1

Dr Fun Socks

For what its worth, if you have the tool and are pretty handy its an easy job. If you dont have the tools it will probably cost less to send it to someone who does. Plus they wont total the watch which could be a risk you run :p

• Like 1

semperfi55

@FunnyStarSystem why didn't you tag me in this mate, shocked to hear about this!

Did the loose GMT hand scratched the dial?

How's it going with resetting the keyless?