Sign in to follow this  
wat44

Royal Oak Automatic

wat44

38mm dia x 9mm thick (Tony $218, Andrew $258, Josh $308)

(Angus/Lay say 36mmx 10mm - $238)

(Silix says 35mm x 11mm - $208)

I think everyone claims "swiss Eta 2824-2"

2c2c307b13f9c506ed5edc71f91c89bd.image.800x531.JPG

surely these cant all be the same watch????

Which would be the one to get?

(I couldnt see it listed by Robert or on Asiakrono or Marys sites)

gen (39x9.4)

000018-005.772.jpg

wat44

this is the no secs version (15202) which I actually prefer: 39mm x 8mm

10_0.240.jpg

Silverspeed

I think there was a rep of the no sec version by MBW. From what I know expansive and not that great.

The older versions, the 36mm classic, will be hard to find I guess. I believe the best version is the new

Royal Oak Jumbo at 40mm

prestigewatchco

I have seen 5-6 different samples of this watch with both center second and no center second hand. They varied in quality although all were supposedly swiss. I saw one that was an SW200 that was the best of them all but to date it has not to my knowledge been produced yet

wat44

ok - I will wait! - thank you

wat44

Mary did some digging

there are two versions, "new/old eta movement"

I struggle with language barrier and some dealers, so I've tried to clarify what movement is in each one - any ideas?

It seems as though Mary has a better version than is advertised on any dealer site

eg josh has $350 version

and $300 version

but Mary has a $400 version

can anyone help?

wat44

$400 gets you a new ETA movement

$300 gets you a refurbished / old eta movement (and a draw in the lottery, I guess)

$250 gets you asian clone

(add $50 to the above prices to go with Josh!)

wat44

can someone help me with these pics? Mary says one is 21j, one is swiss - but I cant tell which is which

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

GC

This one is the 21j movt...

IMG_1476.jpg

This one is the ETA/Clone movt...

IMG_1485.jpg

wat44

thanks - and can you tell the different cases?

mbjoer

I can't tell the difference between the movenemts, but one rotor has a sitcker. Big NO-NO on watch in this class.

The etched rotor would look better, but this one seems to be in a funny position. It has not been attached in the right position.

Also an etched rotor exists which is the same golden colour as the movement. Personally I thikn that would look rather better than the one shown here.

Edited by mbjoer

wat44

the swiss version shown is the latest available

I just cant tell the difference between the cases - they are from different factories

honeybear

Wasn't there a swiss ETA version with a nicely laser engraved rotor? The rotor with the AP sticker on the Swiss ETA above looks quite cheesy.

wat44

the swiss version above is the latest version - if you are offered a different one, it will probably be a used/refurbished movt - and you do not want that

Wiz

The dial on the second one is way nicer.

KeNnY
The dial on the second one is way nicer.

+1 on that, I think also, and said it also to wat :) glad that I am not alone lol

Silverspeed

No pun intended but judging from those pics neither version looks any special.

A similar style watch like the new PP Nautilus with the Selitta movement will be a much better rep in terms of finish and built quality

honeybear
the swiss version above is the latest version - if you are offered a different one, it will probably be a used/refurbished movt - and you do not want that

How do you know that the movement you mentioned isn't used or refurbished either? Except for Sellita SW-200 or SW-220 movements, I would assume that any ETA movement is used, refurbished, or an asian clone, and nothing about the movement in the picture suggests to me that it is new.

In any case, this is the laser engraved rotor I was referring to, which is much nicer than that silly AP sticker on the rotor.

AP-2010-10-20-01-06_2_enl.JPG

wat44

Mary said new Swiss - so it's new Swiss

Only Mary and Robert are worth listing to...

honeybear

No offense intended, but if you can't even tell the difference between an Asian 21j and an ETA movement from case back photos, what makes you think you can tell if Mary pulls a fast one on you? If you trust them, then that's great, but in your situation, I would wait for the SW200 version which is in the pipeline, so that there is no uncertainty that it's a new Swiss movement.

Given the Swatch group's clamp down on the sale of ETA movements, perhaps you could have Mary explain to us where the replica manufacturers are able to source factory fresh and new ETA movements.

wat44

I'll let Luth field the Mary pull a fast one...

You might be new in town, so I'll let you in on a little secret : sellita movements are also cloned!

Wiz

No offense intended, but if you can't even tell the difference between an Asian 21j and an ETA movement from case back photos, what makes you think you can tell if Mary pulls a fast one on you? If you trust them, then that's great, but in your situation, I would wait for the SW200 version which is in the pipeline, so that there is no uncertainty that it's a new Swiss movement.

Given the Swatch group's clamp down on the sale of ETA movements, perhaps you could have Mary explain to us where the replica manufacturers are able to source factory fresh and new ETA movements.

Mate, there are still brand new gen ETA movements available in HK, and apparently they're still easy to source over there.

Thing is, some makers do provide used ETA movement, but some others provide brand new gen ETA. The fact that every gen ETA movement is either used or refurbished is a legend, that have been able to spread thanks to smidsy and his movement teardown.

honeybear
Mate, there are still brand new gen ETA movements available in HK, and apparently they're still easy to source over there.

Thing is, some makers do provide used ETA movement, but some others provide brand new gen ETA. The fact that every gen ETA movement is either used or refurbished is a legend, that have been able to spread thanks to smidsy and his movement teardown.

Be that as it may, there is still clearly a price premium for a factory fresh ETA movement, and thus there is an incentive for factories and wholesalers to substitute the recycled movements for the new movements. Dealers, even trustworthy dealers, pretty much have to take the factory or wholesaler's word as to whether a new movement is used. I don't think Mary keeps watches in stock, which suggests to me that she has to go to the replica wholesale markets to get her merchandise, and short of disassembling the movement, there is no way for her to verify that the movement is indeed new.

wat44

Her watchmaker does take the back off and inspects the movement - one of the reasons we like her

Wiz

Be that as it may, there is still clearly a price premium for a factory fresh ETA movement, and thus there is an incentive for factories and wholesalers to substitute the recycled movements for the new movements. Dealers, even trustworthy dealers, pretty much have to take the factory or wholesaler's word as to whether a new movement is used. I don't think Mary keeps watches in stock, which suggests to me that she has to go to the replica wholesale markets to get her merchandise, and short of disassembling the movement, there is no way for her to verify that the movement is indeed new.

I've had litteraly dozens of reps in hands that were supposed to come with gen ETA movements, and I can tell you that good dealers know which factories sell brand new ETA and which ones sell refurbished or clones.

So mate, believe whatever you want to believe.