Simonix

My Panerai “Mini” EGI Build.

Simonix

I have had my 47mm EGI since June this year. It was purchased second hand from   @hasel5. I believe it is originally from Silix, but still unsure.

Here is a couple of photos of it when it first arrived with me. 

Zm6RXs.jpg
Zm6NI3.jpg

Note that it had a flat mineral crystal with blue AR, a squared off/flat bezel, screw in lug bars, and a fairly course grain brushed finish. The dial had very orange markers, no aging, and the hands were black. The caseback had various engravings all round the disc.

Here are a couple more pics of the bezel/crystal, caseback and case, as it was. albeit after a bit of subtle polishing to "get a feel" for it.

Zm6GWD.jpg
Zm6fxY.jpg

After dong some research on the EGI watch on the Homage Forum, I found all the major "flaws" noted above, and set about modifying it to get a more vintage look and a bit more gen like shape.

First off, I removed the dial, repainted and lumed using a lighter cream colour, and added speckles of pastel pencil to add a bit of vintage "colour". I sanded back the black hands, to (luckily) discover brass underneath. The sanding actually helped make the existing lume look quite nice, so left them as they were. Finally I added a bit more pastel colur and light sanding to the dial surface to age slightly.

The end result was this...

Zm6SQk.jpg

Next, I used a method outlined on HF by the well respected "EGI guru", Kp0y. I removed all the innards, and crystal and gaskets. Then boiled the case for 5 mins, so I could loosen the glue and prise out the bezel markers. I could then reshape the bezel to get a more rounded shape. As I don't have a lathe, I had to "round" the edges of the bezel and reshape, using my dremel, and lots of sanding pads. I still have the blisters.....haha! once polished, I then re-glued the markers back in place with epoxy resin.

The end result was this.....

Zm6xhJ.jpg

I then took the caseback, and sanded away the outer engravings with the dremel and sanding wheels. Then hand polished, much like the bezel. (more blisters!)..

The end result was this.....

Zm6VuW.jpg

Next, I polished the case up, removing the brushed finish and any tool marks I could find. I drilled the lugs out to 1.8mm, and made some pressure fit lug bars.

Finally, Kpoy sent me one of his custom 5.5mm raised solid plexis to fit.

Zm8DIQ.jpg
Zm6gZS.jpg

Matching the watch head with a lovely custom "74" strap and aged buckle by Jose Aguilar, completes the package.

Here are some final photos of the finished build (For now). And thanks, if you are still reading this after me "waffling" on for so long! haha!

Zm8HlK.jpg
Zm8ZdL.jpg
Zm8jxR.jpg
Zm83W8.jpg
Zm8Kfv.jpg
Zm8221.jpg
Zm8A6j.jpg
Zm8Lu4.jpg

• Like 5

Simonix

Here’s a comparison. The 47 “Mini” EGI with the 44mm 064... 

Oh, and by the way, the genuine EGI was 60mm!!!

Zm8Gkc.jpg

• Like 3

Jonnybaws

Lovely build!!
And, if you're ever crazy enough to sell the 064, then may I call dibs on it now please?

• Like 1

altoronto

Love it, I admire your craftsmanship. I have one with waffle dial, cheap glass but is on my hand much often then any other watch from my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Simonix
Just now, altoronto said:

Love it, I admire your craftsmanship. I have one with waffle dial, cheap glass but is on my hand much often then any other watch from my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

You will have to post a photo of yours on here, in the weekly wrist thread. Would be good to see the waffle dial!

OJHorology

The "Shut Up and Take My Money" Content Strategy | Four Dots

• Like 1

deju

Considering you didn't have a lathe and did the bezel by hand that is some serious efforts and skill well paid off! Changing the crystal also made a helluva difference!

• Like 1

Simonix
5 minutes ago, deju said:

Considering you didn't have a lathe and did the bezel by hand that is some serious efforts and skill well paid off! Changing the crystal also made a helluva difference!

Thank you! Yes, the plexi is something else!

5 minutes ago, OJHorology said:

The "Shut Up and Take My Money" Content Strategy | Four Dots

HAHA!

I won't consider selling this for a good long while. I have to at least wait for my skin to grow back on my fingertips.....

• Like 1

billywhiz

Nice build indeed. - Jealous :) 

• Like 1

edwinowl

Nice job. I’ve still got my solid plexi from kpoy

theyre monstrous lol. 

• Like 1

rikracy

Very impressive work, sir!!

A great looking piece you have there!! :clap:

• Like 1

Simonix
7 minutes ago, rikracy said:

Very impressive work, sir!!

A great looking piece you have there!! :clap:

Thanks pal. Long time no speak. Hope you and family are well. 

rikracy
9 minutes ago, Simonix said:

Thanks pal. Long time no speak. Hope you and family are well. 

All good here, thanks!:thumbsup:

I might have to commission you to build one for me!!!

• Like 1

Jibuti

great job S., great.

I mean it...

Of course, when time comes we both know who gets that 064... :B):

Nudge Nudge GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

Earloflondon

Nicey. Wear it in good health. And thanks for an explanatory thread. I'll use this for modding mine along with Kp0y's

• Like 1