TonyInUSA

JF v5 and ZF 15400 rep comparison

TonyInUSA

First post but thought I'd try and contribute something, since I've been trying to decide which one (JF or ZF) to keep. 

I have both of these in hand, and will be selling one. It's hard to decide which one to go with! Here are some observations. I tried taking single photos/video with both in frame as lighting, etc, matters, and hopefully this allows better comparison. When playing the videos, one of them starts off bad quality, I'm not sure why):

1. +1 JF: Movement of JF v5 looks more "real" compared to the ZF. Also the ZF has some differences versus the real movement, the JF matches the real one more. One note, on the ZF, the gear next to rotor spins with the rotor, while on the JF it does not.

2. +++1 ZF: Thinness, this is HUGE and very noticeable. I didn't know it would make such a big difference, but the ZF sits so much nicer on the wrist. I feel like I'd be less scared of "bumping" into things. Also, the reduced thickness is the caseback, putting entire watch closer to wrist, giving it a nicer profile on the wrist.

3. ++1 JF: Bracelet looks better. They are both fine, but the polished sides of the ZF feels more "rounded". When a polished surface reflects light, it can appear black. On the JF, when a polished surface is black, the entire polished surface is black. On the ZF, due to the rounding, parts of the polished surface is black, parts are more white. Hopefully this explanation makes sense.

4. +1 ZF: Blue tint looks better with the ZF, though the JF has more of a sunburst effect. The sunburst effect is worse on the ZF.

5. +1 ZF: Dial printing is more pronounced on the ZF, I think it looks more realistic too when I compare to gen images online (I wish I had a gen on hand!). One note, on the JF the "swiss made" is actually printed on dial and goes up and down like gen, while on the ZF it appears flat, unlike gen.

6. +1 JF: Printing of Royal Oak and serial number on caseback and AP in crown looks more like gen on the JF. On the ZF, printing appears white, while the printing appears more "black" on JF (more like gen).

If people feel this is helpful, I can also take pictures. As of now I like the bracelet of the JF, and watch itself of the ZJ, but the movement of the JF.

- Tony

• Like 2

RolexCollector

If i was you i would take both better parts of both to build the best one if they fit :)

This way you will have the best watch and could try to sell the other!

Edited by RolexCollector

Brienb

So what did you do in end? Which one did you decide to keep and sellm

HAIRlab_DC

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.  The thickness and dial printing  and color (though neither has the blue nailed v. gen, based solely on pics, IMO) are on the wrist improvements which trump all other considerations.  The movement and caseback differences are 100% non-issues for me, since anyone who knows the gen would ID both rep movements instantly. The crown would be an issue for me but a minor one compared to the others. As suggested above, you could just swap the crowns and bracelets on the ZF, and sell the less accurate watch.  But if those beauties were mine,  I'd keep the ZF, sell the JF and use the funds to invest in a couple nice straps for the ZF.   BTW,  have you seen this guide on thinning the JF, which would, if it really bothers you, allow you to use the JF caseback on the "ultimate combo" and make the watch you sell a little more valauable?  https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/modification-repairs/8233491-how-to-thin-your-royal-oak 

monkeylove

really nice comparison @TonyInUSA.

I own the ZF V2 in white dial version and I can say the bracelet is a little bit rough compared to the JF Ap roo diver ss bracelet, but absolutely different as per finishing: 

Regarding the polish surface  sides, they are black or white depending on the light and they doesn't appear rounded to me. Looking at your photos, ZF bracelet is out of focus and, maybe, this cause the round effect.

Seeing your linked pics, you're absolutely right regarding the sunburst of the ZF blue dial. The white one, on contrary, is absolutely gorgeous as for polished indices and hands (difficult to share in photo)

https://imgur.com/LkPBk5w