deano19980

Losing time

deano19980

Hi all,

I bought a SCG rose gold Daytona with a 7750 movement at the beginning of November and it is already losing time, today it has lost 15 minutes in 5 hours. Can anyone help with somewhere i can get it looked at or what the issue may be.

Dean.

GenTLe
20 minutes ago, deano19980 said:

Hi all,

I bought a SCG rose gold Daytona with a 7750 movement at the beginning of November and it is already losing time, today it has lost 15 minutes in 5 hours. Can anyone help with somewhere i can get it looked at or what the issue may be.

Dean.

Can you point out the exact model on a TD website? Because there are 2 versions with 7750, one with slim version and fake minure/hour counter which is good. And the "old" one with a crappy movement which is prone to failure after some time due to the bad system they used to move the running seconds from 9 to 6 o'clock.

deano19980

Hi, thanks for your reply. The watch is a Rolex Rose Gold Daytona from the JH Factory

Zo0BWE.jpg

I hope this is what you meant in your message.

Dean.

deju
27 minutes ago, deano19980 said:

The watch is a Rolex Rose Gold Daytona from the JH Factory.

5 hours ago, GenTLe said:

And the "old" one with a crappy movement which is prone to failure after some time

Yup it’s a phat case A7750, they are nasty nasty movements. Only reason ARF slim version is ok is that they removed the chrono when sliming the a7750 main plate 

deano19980

Is there a fix (apart from buying a better movement) as I paid £330 4 weeks ago?

Simonix

If it’s just losing time, then the movement might just need regulating. 

basically “turn up the speed” a little. Normally done by adjusting a lever or small screw on top of the balance wheel. You need a Timegrapher in order to know if you’ve done it right though. 

deano19980

Appreciate your advice, thanks.  Is there anyone in or around Cheshire who could do this or knows someone who does?

deju

This is what needs done 

You can get free timegrapher apps for PC and android phone. If you know any musicians I tried it once attaching a violin mic to the watch and got a very good reading on the PC.

• Like 1

tribefan

In addition to our vendor forum here, there are some UK / EU guys here that might be able to help:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

Lot of people won't work on chronos. Also, I would not assume the worst, could be something basic that a watch maker can fix and it will run long time.

There is a lot documented here on those movements, two core issues, one they are chronos put together in Chinese warehouses, think storage unit, and two, how they get modified to work for that watch. Not uncommon for people to have these serviced straight away new for preventative purposes.

GenTLe
11 hours ago, deju said:

Yup it’s a phat case A7750, they are nasty nasty movements. Only reason ARF slim version is ok is that they removed the chrono when sliming the a7750 main plate 

I agree with you about the bad A7750 on this one (as like all BPs, JH and old A7750 Noob ones). It's not correct the thing about the ARF: the removed crono parts aren't in exact relation with the fact that their 7750 is ok. They use the thin 7750 that was developed by ZF for the IWCs, which have the sec at 6 and minute at 12, and has a good transfer system for the sec at 6. The missing working parts at 9 and 3 are the direct result of the fact that the movement was modified with the IWC in mind, also making it possible to have a non sunken date (which there isn't on the Daytona, but it's there in the IWCs).

10 hours ago, deano19980 said:

Is there a fix (apart from buying a better movement) as I paid £330 4 weeks ago?

Not really... The fix would have been make some proper research before buying it :( And you can't also swap movement with a ARF one as the height of the stem will be different and the case hole will not align.

GenTLe
10 hours ago, Simonix said:

If it’s just losing time, then the movement might just need regulating. 

15 minutes in 5 hours? = 1:12 a day? I think that's out of range of regulation... Plus it will not solve the problem caused by too much drag on for the power of the movement.

Simonix
6 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

15 minutes in 5 hours? = 1:12 a day? I think that's out of range of regulation... Plus it will not solve the problem caused by too much drag on for the power of the movement.

Not sure about that actually. 
And it’s worth a try instead of binning a watch surely?!

GenTLe
11 minutes ago, Simonix said:

Not sure about that actually. 
And it’s worth a try instead of binning a watch surely?!

Yes, why not? I think it's just an agony prolongation but still...

• Like 1

GingerApple

To lose that much, would demagnetisation not be a starting point? Ever leave your watch near a magnetic source OP?

• Like 3

Wires
43 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

To lose that much, would demagnetisation not be a starting point? Ever leave your watch near a magnetic source OP?

I have had 2 watches come through the post that we’re losing time massively over short periods of time. I bought a demagnetiser and both worked perfectly straight after. @deano19980 I’m in Warrington if you want to see if it does any good, they aren’t very expensive and are a good thing to have in

• Like 1

deano19980

That would be a great start and very kind of you @Wires. I'm in Stockport so not far from you. Are they readily available?

deano19980

Not been on here much since joining in 2016 and havnt been involved in forums before so apologies if I'm stating the obvious but I would just like to throw out there how humbling it is for me to see people using their free time to give their advice and very detailed knowledge about myself and other members issues and questions. Just saying!

Wires
deano19980

I've ordered it for tomorrow @Wires, so I'll give it a go and see what happens. Next step if this doesn't work is to find a watch repairer who won't hit it with a hammer when asked to look at it.

GenTLe
6 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

A magnetized hairspring gains time, not the opposite :)

• Like 2

deju
6 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

A magnetized hairspring gains time, not the opposite :)

My thoughts exactly :Hmmmph: fucking noobs eh :rofl:

deano19980

Now I am confused (not that it takes much). I'll give it a try and see. Like I said Next step, watch repairer.... 

deano19980

How does this work then?

5 hours ago, Wires said:

I have had 2 watches come through the post that we’re losing time massively over short periods of time. I bought a demagnetiser and both worked perfectly straight after. @deano19980 I’m in Warrington if you want to see if it does any good, they aren’t very expensive and are a good thing to have in

@deano19980 

Edited by deano19980

GingerApple

Fucking noobs.

ZqKqcc.png

(Disclaimer - Gentle has forgotten more about watches than I'll ever learn so I'd be inclined to listen to him rather than me. Definitely don't listen to Deju, he's stupid).

• Like 4

Wires

There isn’t only the hairspring to magnetise though

What effects does magnetism have on your watch?

Most watch movements are made up of tiny steel components. More often than not, magnetism will cause a watch to gain time, but it can also cause it to lose time or potentially stop. A medium to strong charge will pull these pieces in different directions, potentially slowing down cogs or bringing them to a halt.

• Like 2