Sign in to follow this  
turnipz

Tudor Snowflake Help

turnipz

Hey guys I've slapped together a tudor snowflake from one of joshs cases, I used a 2784 movement in it. The problem I have is the stem from the 2784 is too short and I'm a newb so I have no idea how to get a stem that will fit, can anyone point me to an ebay ad with the correct one or explain how I can find the right one. Also I need a rolex crown that would fit it as joshs crown is huge, any help would be appreciated.

ed) one more problem I had is the movement moves around in the case a lot, how exactly do you tighten a 2784 to the case?

flottiglia

Try Cousins UK or Otto Frei for a full length stem.Failing that you could get a stem extension for it.

Etas are usually fastened into the case with two small tabs held with a single screw on each,you can probably find these on the Bay just search for ETA mounting tabs or similar.Again Cousins or Frei would have them too.

I'm not familiar with the case so i wouldn't know if you also need a movement ring or whether the movement will secure straight to the case on a Snowflake.

turnipz

Hmm the original 21j that came with the watch used those mounting tab, thinking about it there is a ring around the inside of the watch with which a tab would screw in to, I guess thats how it works just got to find the position in which to mount it to the movement. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Would the extender have to be cut very precisely or can I just use a dremel or something to chop it down? Also does it block you from screwing in the movement or inhibit the stem from going into the movement in any way I would have to worry about?

flottiglia
Hmm the original 21j that came with the watch used those mounting tab, thinking about it there is a ring around the inside of the watch with which a tab would screw in to, I guess thats how it works just got to find the position in which to mount it to the movement. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Would the extender have to be cut very precisely or can I just use a dremel or something to chop it down? Also does it block you from screwing in the movement or inhibit the stem from going into the movement in any way I would have to worry about?

I would go for a new full length stem personally and then you can know your'e ok and there no clearance issues between the stem and tube.

You can cut the stem with a dremel and fine cutting wheel if you like (I use side cutters personally) but you have to be precise and be very careful not to go too far and make it too short.I would do a trial fit with the full length stem and see how much needs to come off.Then cut erring very much on the side of caution and trial fit again.You can keep going a few thou shorter but you can't go back the other way if you overcook it !.Stems are quite brittle so don't put much lateral force on them when cutting.

Looking at a Snowflake case on Helenarous site it does have a movement retaining ring and he also sells the mounting tabs.The screw for the tabs locates on the movements baseplate and the mounting ring may have cutouts for the tab to locate into.

The Eta 2784 is 11.5 ligne and if the 21 jewel was a DG 2813 type then that is the same diameter so you may be able to use the original retaining ring perhaps with minor mods as the 2813 is a touch thicker i think.

turnipz

Alright thanks for the tips, I think I could put the tabs in but it is tough for me to see where they screw into the movement.

mountingtab.png

Would one be the screw I circled in red?

flottiglia
Alright thanks for the tips, I think I could put the tabs in but it is tough for me to see where they screw into the movement.

mountingtab.png

Would one be the screw I circled in red?

Yeah thats the spot.The screw heads are not normally as big as that when you use tabs.The Longines movement looks as though its set up for use with a movement ring and the bigger screw head would overlap onto ring and secure that way.

turnipz

Do all movements require clamps? The donor watch I got the 2784 from did not have them, though it does have a piece that sticks out that requires you turn the movement 180 degrees before insertion. Am I okay with just that or do I need clamps as well?

Amit

i think theres a place called helenrou online that has stuff

never used them but see what other say

flottiglia
Do all movements require clamps? The donor watch I got the 2784 from did not have them, though it does have a piece that sticks out that requires you turn the movement 180 degrees before insertion. Am I okay with just that or do I need clamps as well?

Sorry mate,missed your last question on the thread.

Its more common for them to secured with tabs and screws but not exclusively.As you say on the donor watch it was a different set up and a perfectly good one.I doubt the retaining ring you have from the donor will fit the new case without some modification,you would be very lucky if it did.There will almost certainly be differences in the internal case diameter.

On the other hand the ring that retained the 21 jewel in the snowflake may well be pretty close as the two movements are the same diameter and obviously the ring came out of the case your'e using.

I would go the clamp and screw route,its simple,effective and cheap.

Post some pics up if you can,makes it easier to visualise the set up and parts you have on hand.

turnipz

Appreciate the help I will post more pics when I get a proper camera, it is very tough for me to get non-blurry photos with what I have. The ring for the old case does fit fine so I guess I am lucky, and it just has a small round chunk hanging out the side of the movement ring that requires me to turn the movement 180 degrees and put the chunk into the hole right where the crown goes in. xop.png

Would this be enough to hold the movement in? I dont know if it will break due to too much pressure from the clockwise/counter-clockwise rotation.

flottiglia

Sounds like it will work and your'e damn lucky !.

Has the Snowflake case got the cutout for the retaining ring lug to locate in?

Usually with this sort of set up it relys on the caseback flange holding the ring in place once the caseback is tightened.The movement still needs to be secured to the ring otherwise it will tend to drop a little at one side and rotor will catch the caseback.The Longines pic you posted has been in a watch with this type of arrangement.The larger headed screws would overlap onto the flange of the ring and secure that way.

turnipz

The case does have a ring on the inside for the retaining rings lug to fit in, which is why I have to insert the movement 180 degrees to fit inside the case. I insert the retaining ring lug into the hole where the stem comes out: asasq.png

I think you are right and I will probably need to find a way to attach the movement to the case better, I doubt this little tab on the movement ring will hold it in place well enough. I will mess around a little more with it.

flottiglia

It looks like all it needs is a mounting clamp under the screw to the right of the stem and one at the other side of course.You can bend the clamps a little to suit.

turnipz

Oh I'm a retard, forgot to mention that is a picture of a movement I found which illustrates what what mine looks like. Though your advice does still tell me what I need to do on mine, I appreciate the help.

flottiglia

No worries mate,i've only just spotted it was a gen Rolex movement so equally retarded !.

Member X

Dunce caps all round ;) :P :lol: lol

flottiglia
Dunce caps all round ;) :P :lol: lol

Your'e not wrong,i'm stood in the corner away from the rest of class right now ! :facepalm: