Amit

Review Rep vs Gen Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue

Amit

I bought a gen of the black bay 58 blue shortly after release. I know they got a lot of flack for the release being unimaginative but from a business point of view it makes total sense. Especially now when you consider so many other brands jumping on the blue theme bandwagon.

Pretty sure there are threads regarding the build quality and overall review of the 58 blue so I won't go into that here.

The rep is not mine it was purchased by a friend and I am forwarding on his behalf, I took the opportunity to take some comparison pics and share my opinion of the rep vs gen. I didn't have callipers to measure dimensions so all observations and opinions are based on feel in hand and from images. So let me give my thoughts and give you the pictures after.

1. Looks like ZF did a great job with the case, I guess it should be expected as they already repped the black 58. The only thing I thought was slightly off was the polishing on the chamfer. Maybe it was too wide as it gets to the lug. Also the lug tips on the under side didn't look flat to me but rather had two angles. Again you can judge yourself from the pictures.

2. Bezel color looks perfect! I couldn't tell side by side any difference at all. The bezel font again looked pretty good, maybe some were a bit fatter than gen but again to my mind not noticeable and almost definitely wouldn't be at an arm's length on the wrist. The bezel action is a bit softer, less clicky then the gen. Not a big deal or deal-breaker for me.

3. Dial seems to be the right colour (95%) when observing straight on. The gen shifts shades slightly in the light but nothing like a sunburst effect. The rep doesn't seem to do the same but again I wouldn't call it a tell.

4. Hands and markers overall are very good, they are the right size and length. The only thing I really noticed when side by side was the polishing on the gen hands and markers was better finished. I guess that is just to be expected, but that polishing gives a look of depth and crispness. The markers again are very good, placement is correct and size.

5. Dial text looks like the correct font, but it looks bolder on the gen and as a result has more dimension. The rep text is very flat in comparison. Again it wouldn't be noticeable unless compared up close and compared to gen.

6. The pearl on the rep is slightly wider in dimension compared to gen. As a result the pearl surface area is also wider. To be fair it doesn't actually look wrong but it's not the same as the gen. I have seen some QC pics where the placement of the pearl is not centred, if it's a big deal to you than worth keeping an eye out for.

7. Crown is the very first thing that jumped out to me even before I looked at my gen. Initially I thought it was not screwed in. The crown itself is not the issue, the size and shape is good and the knurling/teeth also look good. The tube and the threading mean the crown does not screw down as flush as the gen. There is also a pic of the rep where there seems to be a gap where the tube meets the case. I'm not sure if this is an issue or would affect waterproofness.

8. Lume colour is correct but not as strong, again this is not an issue for me nor should it be for anyone. The lume colour itself is correct and that's what matters.

9. Caseback engraving is a lot cleaner and precise on the gen. The font looks fine. Really not much to say about it.

10. Movement is obviously different of course. No point comparing here. I assume they used a 2824 clone in this case.  *Rotor is noisy AF on this one.   Ok maybe not AF. *

11. Crystal on the rep is more box shaped, you can see in pics of the gen that the crystal has a soft domed shape. The difference in the shape of the rep crystal distorts slightly the outer edges of the dial. Almost looks like the Swiss made text is cut off or even initially I thought the dial was slightly larger on the rep but I concluded it was down to the crystal.

I did not take pics and compare the rep bracelet to gen as mine has been boxed away and I wear it on leather or NATO strap however it felt about right in terms of weight. Build quality and finish also seemed pretty good.

Conclusion...

I think this is a great rep for the price I would have no hesitation in purchasing one for myself if I didn't have the gen. In fact I'll probably pick up one of the black 58.

And now onto the pics, I wanted to crack out the DSLR but I misplaced the charger so these are pics from the mobile with some minor tweaks in lightroom. Unless otherwise stated images where watch has springboard is gen.

Gen

IMG-20201211-113649-1.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-113656-1.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-120058.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-120114.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-120811.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-120815.jpg

Gen on top

IMG-20201211-120616.jpg

Gen on top

IMG-20201211-120427.jpg

Gen on top

IMG-20201211-120746.jpg

Rep on top (Doh!!)

IMG-20201211-120313.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-121453-3.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-121438-1.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-120904.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-120912.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-120919.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-120924.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-120942.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-121033-01.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-121110.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-121057.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-121301.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-121319.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-121350.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-121337.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-121404-2.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-121413-1.jpg

Gen

IMG-20201211-121613-1.jpg

Rep

IMG-20201211-121605-2.jpg

Edited by Amit
Added more info
  • Like 16

k4jun

Photos are very good and massive thanks for this thread! :beer2:

Possible for you to check the hands direction on gen and on A2824?

GingerApple

Awesome review!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time. I'm struggling to see the chamfering difference you mention, but your other points I can see. Like you say though, although things like the pearl being different could be a tell (if you really, really know what you're looking for), I actually like the rep pearl, maybe even prefer it! You can't beat that Gen dial though.

Lovely review and lovely rep and Gen. Cheers!

baxter

Awesome review .... Ale will be offering you a job on the Pam review team :D

• Like 1

Amit

If I understand you correctly turning the crown anti clockwise moves the hands clockwise. 

Both gen and rep

6 minutes ago, baxter said:

Awesome review .... Ale will be offering you a job on the Pam review team :D

LOL. Happy to receive the gen PAMs for doing comparisons. 

• Like 2

Amit
9 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Awesome review!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time. I'm struggling to see the chamfering difference you mention, but your other points I can see. Like you say though, although things like the pearl being different could be a tell (if you really, really know what you're looking for), I actually like the rep pearl, maybe even prefer it! You can't beat that Gen dial though.

Thanks mate. 

Yea I think it's the polishing and because of that its hard to capture in images. If you look at the side profile of the lugs maybe you can just see the polishing is slightly wider than on the gen. 

Pics 11 and 12. Again it's almost imperceptible. 

• Like 1

Amit
15 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Also I think a lot is down to the crystal on the gen, it really makes a difference to the dial IMO. 

Mystery Shopper

I looked at the pics before I read your text and the differences by eye are minimal, they would be negligible on the wrist.

Super rep for sure. :D

Great review Amit. :thumbsup2:

Intresting

Thanks so much for the review!  Great pictures.  I can imagine we will see even greater clarity if you had the DSLR.   :)  Biggest tell (if you can call it big) is the dial and crystal profile.  But you really have look at it through a lupe and probably side by side with a gen to spot it.  Perhaps the 3D lettering is most noticeable.  But ZF is 1/10 the price.   You can get the almost the entire rep BB lineup for the price of 1 gen.   Amazing.
Thank you again.

Chavezzito
1 hour ago, Amit said:

LOL. Happy to receive the gen PAMs for doing comparisons. 

Hahaha!

Great write up Amit :thumbsup:

Leet1983

Great review,Looks very close , make you wonder if it's worth buying gen 

Foxindebox

Nice one, great write up!

I'm getting my Gen next week and can’t wait :)

NCRich

Great write up!

• Like 1

tribefan

Great review, thanks for doing this. Did you have a rep bracelet to compare to gen? When I first picked up my rep it seemed lighter than my BB58 black, the bracelet just felt different. I weighed them both on the same scale and they were both 134 grams, so it wasn't an actual weight difference, but the bracelet does feel different between the two reps.

Amit
28 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Great review, thanks for doing this. Did you have a rep bracelet to compare to gen? When I first picked up my rep it seemed lighter than my BB58 black, the bracelet just felt different. I weighed them both on the same scale and they were both 134 grams, so it wasn't an actual weight difference, but the bracelet does feel different between the two reps.

I mentioned that I didn't do a side by side of bracelets. Mine is stored away with the box as I always wear on leather strap. 

I don't think there will be have been any significant update in the bracelet from the release of black to blue. 

1 hour ago, Foxindebox said:

Nice one, great write up!

I'm getting my Gen next week and can’t wait :)

Start researching what straps you wanna wear it on :D

• Like 2

nuvolablue

Great review and pics. Thanks for taking the time and effort. Looking forward to adding this and the black to my collection even more now !

Figmo

Kudos and thanks for the thorough review and detailed observations, not to mention the comparison photos. That would indeed be exceedingly difficult to tell on the wrist.

deju

I can see the over chamfer especially at the top of the crown, as the chamfer is cutting into the hole. 

reality is that’s and extremely close rep you can see minute details by how thinks have been made like with the bezel but without Side by side loupe wankers this is a super rep IMHO

fabbe79

Thanks for the review! Great job from ZF!

Inviato dal mio SM-G781B utilizzando Tapatalk

Jonnybaws

Ship an empty already damaged box, claim the Swedish customs stole it...
Then, we'll meet up at the Champion and I'll buy you a drink for the Tooter, @Chavezzito need not know....

funkmon

Wow. I have this rep, and I have handled a gen and I couldn't see any differences in real life other than a certain...well, it just seemed slightly fancier. It was so hard to get the blue version a while back, presumably still is, a rep was the best move. I'm wondering about that gap like you mentioned at the crown. Now that you mention it, I do see it. I wonder if this will hurt mine's chances of being waterproofed if I send it in for service. HMM!

MAJ75

@Amit Excellent job on the comentary & photos, really comprehensive.

ZF deserve the place on the NWBIG list with this piece.

I've seen the blue a couple of times in jewellers windows & I've liked it more than I would have thought, ultimately though for me the black version is still the far classier of the two.

Mrluwin

Great rep of a great watch, thanks for doing this comparison

Amit
4 hours ago, funkmon said:

Wow. I have this rep, and I have handled a gen and I couldn't see any differences in real life other than a certain...well, it just seemed slightly fancier. It was so hard to get the blue version a while back, presumably still is, a rep was the best move. I'm wondering about that gap like you mentioned at the crown. Now that you mention it, I do see it. I wonder if this will hurt mine's chances of being waterproofed if I send it in for service. HMM!

let us know, i'm sure anyone that owns it would like to know

Chavezzito
19 hours ago, Jonnybaws said:

Ship an empty already damaged box, claim the Swedish customs stole it...
Then, we'll meet up at the Champion and I'll buy you a drink for the Tooter, @Chavezzito need not know....

Or...he could just ship me a pizza slice :christmas4: