mattpne

PAM1392 Rep Vs Gen

mattpne

I recently purchased a PAM1392 from @mos009 with the intention to compare to my gen version. The aim being to see if it could replace the gen in my collection and free up funds for something else I have my eye on!

I’m no professional photographer, and by no means a PAM expert but here’s a couple of side by side pics @Philiusmaximusand my initial thoughts (gen is on the grey ostrich strap):

ZYacCv.jpg
ZYaxc8.jpg
ZYabwR.jpg
ZYabwR.jpg

ZYaS3Q.jpg
ZYaF7S.jpg
ZYagS1.jpg

First impressions are that the replica is a really solid, high quality watch. Looking face on, it’s practically indistinguishable from the gen. The dial printing maybe isn’t as crisp, and the date font is a smidge too thick but you’d need them side by side to notice.

You start to notice the differences when viewed from the side, with the rep being a good few mm thicker than the gen. Most of this is in the screw down caseback.

The back of the watch has differences too...the obvious one being the difference in movement but then more subtle differences like the depth and precision of the engravings and the strap change mechanism.

The strap change mechanism itself works well but not with the same smoothness as the gen.

The crown guard and lever is really well done and no discernible difference to gen.

I believe the rep has a seagull st255 movement and it’s been running well so far (losing maybe 20-30 seconds a day). Time and date setting all very solid. Both the gen and the rep do have a level of rotor noise but nothing that bothers me.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the watch. Is it enough to make me sell the gen? I think it’s too early to say at this point...I’d like to live with it for a few more weeks before making a decision on that.

Thanks, Matt

• Like 6

deju

@mattpne it’s a tough call I feel with the gen vs rep debate when it comes to Panerai. 

ultimately I sold my 177 Marlin when I got a gen 177. For that model the detail differences are tiny and it’s really down to Crystal quality and movement to spot it. 

Do I regret it? in some ways yes and very much for your initial thoughts. I could have 10 super rep panerai for it. 

I loved and got the same excitement feeling wearing the Marlin as I do the gen. 

I’ve recently got a 56c replica which is like a 177 but destro, and to be frank I prefer it 100x more than the 177

So for me it’s my first and last Gen Pam, unless I trade the 177 into another one. Just far too many amazing variations available. 

• Like 2

Rx4Time

Yep.  I agree it's a tough decision.  I picked up the genuine 237 planning to sell off a few of my similar ones like my 088 Franken and 089.  Now the 237 sits in the box quietly hiding as I'm afraid to scratch it or damage it and I still wear the reps.   

• Like 1

mos009

i regret selling my pam therefore ordered v12 noob pam 111 :( but thank you for the comparison. to my untrained eye it would have been identical 

• Like 1

Jonnybaws

Looks like the midcase (to my not so great eyesight) is the same on both Gen and Rep, the main difference appears to be in the height of the bezel and caseback, with better clone movements you'd think this could be improved upon in later releases. Obvious tells with the movement but that's not seen when on the wrist, there's the odd tell here and there but nothing major, certainly not for me, I'd happily wear that Rep!

• Like 1

splke

nice review/compare thank you

it was the strap that was the tell for me so keep the rep sell the gen pal

when i came into this game i was always told never buy a gen pam !

• Like 1

Jonnybaws
9 minutes ago, splke said:

Aye, buy a good Pam rep and pair it up with a proper aftermarket or OEM strap, job done!

• Like 1

mattpne
29 minutes ago, splke said:

Ha, the strap on the replica in these pics is actually a gen Panerai strap too! 

Philiusmaximus

Brilliant comparison. I had a gen Pam once. Wouldn't do it again, the reps are too good. The only gens I have now are ones I like that aren't replicated.

• Like 1