Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

A7750 winding problem, everything else works fine

fatarms

Hi guys, the Breitling Superocean Abyss Chrono rep I bought on m2m a little while back has an A7750 movement in it.  Pretty sure these things have been around for at least 5 or more years, so chances are the movement is pretty old as well.  The timekeeping is great, the chrono runs just fine (I don't use it, but tested it a few times to make sure that wasn't an issue), the rotor charges the watch perfectly, time and date setting are smooth.

It's just the winding... turning the crown is super resistant and gets moreso with each turn.  Like hurt your fingers resistant, very hard to turn the crown.  Not really an issue, I know, I know... use the rotor to charge a 7750...  But when setting the time and date, when screwing the crown back in, the watch also winds as it's screwing back in (my gen does the same thing.)  And usually by then, there's some charge to the movement and screwing the crown in is difficult.  I'd imagine it is probably something in the keyless or the winding gears.  Is there anything that's easy to do to try to fix the issue?  I suck at working on movements.  A lot.

It's not a huge issue, everything else works great on the watch.  It functions as it should and probably better than some watches the same age.  I'm contemplating just swapping the movement, but not sure which variation of the 7750 I need.  I've seen a few different variations.  The gen 7750s are close to $400 or so, the asian movements are less than half of that amount.

Any suggestions?  Something easy to try?  Replace the movement?  Suck it up and live with it, you pussy?  Log out and go fuck yourself?  Be brutal, I'm open to anything.  Except peanuts.  I hate those things.

Rx4Time

Remember, the ETA 7750 Chronograph seconds hand post is a different size then the A7750, so you'll have to source a genuine hand.  Also, the date wheel is plus or minus on working.   When I swapped the Asian clone for an ETA on my IWC slevin, I had to replace the day and date wheels with ETA ones as they wouldn't seat correctly.  Personally, unless it's a keeper, I'd just drop another clone 7750 in there, or have that one serviced since I sounds like it's been good overall.  

• Like 1

fatarms
7 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

Remember, the ETA 7750 Chronograph seconds hand post is a different size then the A7750, so you'll have to source a genuine hand.  Also, the date wheel is plus or minus on working.   When I swapped the Asian clone for an ETA on my IWC slevin, I had to replace the day and date wheels with ETA ones as they wouldn't seat correctly.  Personally, unless it's a keeper, I'd just drop another clone 7750 in there, or have that one serviced since I sounds like it's been good overall.  

Do you know what the ballpark amount is on servicing an A7750 and who does it?  I know Katt won't touch them amongst a bunch of other things, so limited resources in the US...  Just wondering what the comparison would be between servicing a 5+ year old movement vs the cost of a new one.

FudgyDocker
9 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Do you know what the ballpark amount is on servicing an A7750

Chronograph servicing is round about £130 ($175). So compare that to the cost a new movement, and you have your answer :)

BadPickle

Take the auto wind module off and clean it. There’s a thread here about it.,.. maybe @kennycoder or someone did it?  Can’t recall who, I’ll see if I can find it. 

BadPickle

Take the auto wind module off and clean it. There’s a thread here about it.,.. maybe @kennycoder or someone did it?  Can’t recall who, I’ll see if I can find it. 

I’m shit at searching on here :lol: 

I found this which might help, but bear in mind most of the members on the thread are now banned 

• Like 1

Rx4Time
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

Do you know what the ballpark amount is on servicing an A7750 and who does it?  I know Katt won't touch them amongst a bunch of other things, so limited resources in the US...  Just wondering what the comparison would be between servicing a 5+ year old movement vs the cost of a new one.

Tickleshoes, misiekiped, vac, strodda all from RWI will work on them.  Not sure about watchknob or osacom, but I think they will also. 

• Like 1

kennycoder
On 21/12/2020 at 21:35, pickledbeetroot said:

I found this which might help, but bear in mind most of the members on the thread are now banned 

I wonder why :D