Sign in to follow this  
Jagsman

A7750 date setting

Jagsman

Hi gents, I’m looking for some help......

my much loved ebel panda has an odd issue. I can set the time with no issues, the watch keeps good time, but I can’t set the date. 

anything obvious? Or suggestions of someone trustworthy who could maybe help in the uk?

Thanks in advance and have a great new year

Jags

BadPickle

Quickset as well as in the time setting position? 

GenTLe
4 hours ago, Jagsman said:

Hi gents, I’m looking for some help......

my much loved ebel panda has an odd issue. I can set the time with no issues, the watch keeps good time, but I can’t set the date. 

anything obvious? Or suggestions of someone trustworthy who could maybe help in the uk?

Thanks in advance and have a great new year

Jags

If the date advance when it's midnight but you can't set it with crown in middle (date set) position, then you have a broken part in the movement. It happened to me too.

Most probably it's this part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233150505283

s-l300.jpg

The genuine one fits the A7750 perfectly and it's kept in place by just a single screw on a small plate covering it, the one you can see here next to day 22 on the date wheel:

BottomPlateWithCalendarDscn0744.jpg

The problem with it is that you need to:

1) take the movement out from the case (this is a front mount one, meaning you need A) to unscrew the caseback to remove the crown and the movement retaining screws, then B) to remove the bezel and the crystal to extract the movement from that side

2) remove all the hands and the dial to access it, which I'd not suggest to anyone with no expertise and tools.

It's not a difficult job per se, it's just tedious, as it takes quite some time to fit back the hands, and riscky because messing up the hands is very easy, and if they are the ones on the Ebel that are half colored in black it's practically a certainty. Finally it can be difficult to deal with the dial feet hooks that are quite unconfortable to reach on a 7750 movement. I serviced 2 of these watches (I have both the white and the black dial ones) and the half-black hands gave me some headache (I managed to find the solution to repaint them well, at the end and after quite some trial and error...).

Try to reach out some of the trusted watchmakers in the TD section, there is at least one in UK and for him it should be doable with no problems.

• Like 2

fatarms

Also, just in case you are not aware, NEVER set the date when the hour hand is between  9 and 3.  Always set the hour hand to around 6 before adjusting the date.  You know how the date starts to advance on a 7750 around 10pm?  It has engaged the date abscess when at that point, so if you try to set the date while the date wheel is engaged,  you can break it.  

This is the way I set the dates on all my watches regardless of the movement just to be safe.  Always check where the hour hand is before setting the date. 

• Like 1

Jagsman
13 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Quickset as well as in the time setting position? 

Its the quickset that doesnt work - it moves forward (day and date) if left to run. Day can be quick set no probs, just the date that cant, it has a tendency to stick half way between dates. Maybe one for one of our trusted repairers methinks, took me long enough to find the watch so might be best I dont muck about with it. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Jagsman

Update and a further question (sorry) I'm arranging to send the watch to be fixed, serviced and then sealed. However, since I have had the watch one of the case back screws has been missing. Its never really bothered me as you cant see it when its on the wrist. 

Can anyone suggest where it may be possible to find one of the screws for this particular case back? With that and a serviced movement the watch will be pretty much perfect (other than some small scrapes - adds character :-).

Cheers all

Jags

maplebank

Hi @Jagsman

I had a similar issue with one of my Ebels too.

I had one of those boxes of assorted screws for watch/spectacle repairs, which I'd bought from Amazon, and one of the scews in the set actually fitted!

Worth a try?

Jagsman
1 hour ago, maplebank said:

Hi @Jagsman

I had a similar issue with one of my Ebels too.

I had one of those boxes of assorted screws for watch/spectacle repairs, which I'd bought from Amazon, and one of the scews in the set actually fitted!

Worth a try?

Thanks Ill have a look

Jagsman

Eventually got this back after sending it off to Nick at watchRepairs UK - took a while (6 months - patience is all part of the game!) but its back, fully serviced, date setting fine and he even sorted the missing screw

jHCMWi.jpg

Pic, just because I love the results. Its a great watch with a lovely bracelet and feel to it. Ill be MUCH more careful when setting the date from now on!

Ps sorry for the terrible iphone pic - took it quickly in between Teams calls