Simonix

PAM 088 GMT re-release VS FAC.

BadApple

Not been reworked - its a 7750 engined re-run of the original however a welcomed addition to the PAM revival.

Noob Fiddy much needed and some of the Radiomir 1950's 47mm jobbies - hopes are high for 2021......

• Like 1

GingerApple

I saw it was getting a lot of stick next door - crown guard not shiny etc - but it could just be typical VSF prototype issues that are fixed by the time it hits the shelves. I've never liked this one personally anyway - I wouldn't look twice at the Gen. Great to have the option though!

• Like 1

Simonix
21 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I saw it was getting a lot of stick next door - crown guard not shiny etc - but it could just be typical VSF prototype issues that are fixed by the time it hits the shelves. I've never liked this one personally anyway - I wouldn't look twice at the Gen. Great to have the option though!

Most reps seem to get a lot of stick next door. But the “flaws” they pick up on, are normally minuscule. 

BadApple

@Jibuti Picked the shit out of my PAM911 and his words were  verbatim from next door. He'd just cut and paste. 

"Futile... You do not need gen strap for watch with wrong dial cutouts, hands, CP, lume, CG pin...  - Funny my QC pics show none of this 

So as you say @TheGingerFerret they may well tidy things up on release. 

• Like 2

altoronto

...and it’s 12hr GMT not like Noob’s 24hr GMT :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Simonix
22 minutes ago, altoronto said:

...and it’s 12hr GMT not like Noob’s 24hr GMT :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch! Now that I don’t think I could live with!! That would mean the 24hr gmt markers would not read correctly?!

• Like 1

tribefan
37 minutes ago, Simonix said:

Ouch! Now that I don’t think I could live with!! That would mean the 24hr gmt markers would not read correctly?!

Yeah, that would be a pretty big deal on a high end rep, for me at least.

• Like 1

Rx4Time

Unfortunately this one's got lots of glaring issues at the moment.   Crown guard is completely wrong, but can be replaced if you can source a polished one.   It's a silly thing to get wrong from a high end maker.    Movement is unacceptable considering the A7750 gmt is easily obtained and functionally different, both in how it's set as well as the 12 vs 24 hours GMT hand. Other issues, while there, are easier to overlook since it would take a closer look to see and know what was incorrect ( open cap on seconds hand, engraving, etc). 

Simonix

CG wouldn’t bother me as I could polish that up no problem, but the gmt movement flaw is a big no no for me. 

Flinnt

I would’ve bought a vsf pam gmt earlier if it actually had 24hr gmt function. It’s about time vsf fixed this. How anyone finds it acceptable is beyond me. 

BadPickle
32 minutes ago, Flinnt said:How anyone finds it acceptable is beyond me. 

:lmao:

• Like 1

Jonnybaws

Flaws and all. Not bothered, always liked this so have one on the way... Also given the Pandemic when am I ever gonna need the GMT function, certainly not any time soon!

ALE7575

Brushed CG instead of polished, with very sharp corners, gen corners are really rounded and soft. Gen has brushed only the lever. 

CG is the modern Luminor CG,  wich gen has from H series. Just the square hole for the crown  looks a bit smaller than gen, because  gen seems to have more space to pull out the crown. Besdides the gen corners are much rounder and, due to this reason ,the gen CG looks thinner and smaller. For this watch a current CG from a Luminor 44mm caseset, polished and with nicely rounded edges would have been enough.   

Lug holes are placed higher, like it happens on KW/XF cases

12 hrs GMT

Frozen halo on date cyclops

The second subdial @9 has no concentric circles like gen

Dial layout is almost perfect, but the hour markers are a bit thicker and a bit greenish

Subdial @9 is a bit bigger.

"R"of PANERAI and LUMINOR is also wrong and there are some differences in "m" and "a" in Automatic inscription.

Nice but a bit inaccurate caseback

Inaccurate movement, gen is a OPVIII based on ETA 7750 with BW @7,  the rep has a Clone P.9001 mvmt. with BW @7 (???)  

As a little flaw, the clasp of the strap should be polished (no worries about that) 

Many flaws to be a good super rep 

ALE

• Like 2

Jonnybaws

It’s got a load of flaws, some can live with it some can’t, on the wrist I love it..

ZBaRJP.jpg

• Like 1

ALE7575
44 minutes ago, Jonnybaws said:

It’s got a load of flaws, some can live with it some can’t, on the wrist I love it..

I agree !! Really nice,  one of my preferred PAMs

And I like the strap, congrats 

Your frozen halo seems less evident 

Enjoy it !

ALE

• Like 1

HAIRlab_DC

Personally, I've always preferred 29's thanks to their unique (for Panerai) bezels , but that's a very good rep. On EDIT: I'd be very, very down for an 89, though.

Edited by HAIRlab_DC