Matze71

Timegrapher test

Matze71

Can someone please explain the results of the timegrapher to me? 

ZnVUmS.png

Rx4Time

Basically, 292 is the measure of how far the balance is moving with each beat.   It's not gaining or losing any time in the position  (+/- 0 sec/ day).   Just means the movement is relatively healthy.   Looks like this measure was done over a 4 second period.   I'd personally like a longer measure, but it gives you an idea of overall health at least.   

deju

I can confirm the results are conclusive....

The power socket in that room is working. 

• Like 2

RLR267

Thank you for this post.  I just got QC pics of my first Rep and had no clue what that final photo was supposed to be showing me.  But if I may inquire - warning, newbie stupid questions coming - what difference does the Amp # make?  Do we want a bigger or shorter angle?  Does this vary by movement?  Is there a range?

Maybe I can be more direct in this:  My QC pics show:  

RATE:  +3s/d  (I gather from above that means my watch will gain 3 seconds per day  or 1.5 minutes per month).  

AMP:  280  (The watch is an Omega Rep, VSF A8900 Movement.  Is 280 good, bad, or within range?)  

B.E.:  0.0 m/s  (no comment on the OP result so may I assume that zero is good?); 

Power bar/Signal Stgrenght (at least I think that is what it is) = 3 out of 7 bars (Does this factor into anything?  Is 3/7 acceptable?  For all I know that is the battery strength of the TimeGrapher?)

Other info to help:   Beat Rate = 28,800; Lean Angle = 52.0; Period = 12 s; and Sound =  <check mark>

So excited - first Rep and can see a couple things that I think the Rep missed,  i.e. Gen has Seamaster "etched" not painted on (but I can certainly live with that minor issue, in fact even Gen pics on OmegaWatches.com look "painted" so I certainly am not going to refuse on that one issue.  Color appears off a slight, but I have decided the AR coating may be to blame and, well, AR coating . . . yeah!  Bottom line, unless these numbers are out of range, I think it is a keeper.

tribefan

Short version is those numbers are all very good. Long version is there are numerous thread on what they mean in detail. Also, that is just one snapshot point in time in one position so the numbers can vary.

It run 3 seconds fast a day

Balance wheel spins on average 280 degrees

Balance wheels spins exactly in time, no beat error.

• Like 1

SCShrek

The basics to know:

Understanding the results

So you've got your timegrapher, you've input the BPH, Amplitude and Lift Angle, and now you want to know what to look for. I'll preface this strongly by saying that a) I am in no way a trained watchmaker and b) the timegrapher only looks at a quick snapshot of the watch, it doesn't give the whole picture. For instance, how it runs when the power reserve is low.

1. Rate - How fast/slow the watch runs in seconds per day.

This is the most basic statistic and will at least let you know how accurate your watch is. If your watch is COSC certified, in order to be in good health it needs to be running between -4 and +6 seconds per day. Otherwise it will depend somewhat on the watch, but with a few exceptions you should consider the following to be a good range of your movement's health. If it is wildly out of these ranges, you should bring it to a watchmaker to get it checked out. 

• Excellent -  +/- 7 s/d
  • Acceptable - +/- 20 s/d

2. Amplitude - the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel

• great : 270-310
  • acceptable : 250-270

3. Beat Error - how equal each swing of the balance wheel oscillation is.

• Excellent : 0.0 - 0.5 milliseconds
  • Acceptable : 0.6 - 1 milliseconds

A little bit more in depth and probably TMI:

Waspy
1 hour ago, RLR267 said:

RATE:  +3s/d  (I gather from above that means my watch will gain 3 seconds per day  or 1.5 minutes per month). 

Your watch will not gain (or lose) 1.5 minutes per month, I guarantee it.

+3 seconds on the timegrapher is only while the watch is in that one position.

But it's no biggie, you learn to live with it.