austinsom

PRS516 Chrono battery replacement

austinsom

Well, this is a little embarrassing! It seems I have been stumped by a simple battery change on this PRS516 - no matter what has been tried the case back refuses to even budge.  I wonder if it has been glued on!

There are no keys for a case back remover, or gaps to get a case knife in.  Several attempts have been made, which has nicely scratched up the back, but just no movement at all.  A sharp blade wont even fit in.  A razer blade might, but that is asking for trouble.

It seems I might need to send this to N Korea for a small nuclear blast to get it open :nuke:

Has anyone had one of these and managed to get it open for a new battery?!  If so, please share.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I should add, this is a rep, which probably means it has been welded on :lol: 

VA264g.md.jpg
VA2u8A.md.jpg

Edited by austinsom

GingerApple

Have you tried asking it nicely? Hope this helps.

BTW, my brain always reads your name as 'Autism'. I doubt this will help.

• Like 1

austinsom

Haha, lol - I get that alot, especially with online games when I do something dumb :D

I have tried asking it nicely, swearing at it, and threatening it with death by boiling, but it remains defiant. Maybe it's a spy...

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

Glue a nut to case back and use a spanner, if it's a screw-on. Acetone will remove the glue afterwards,

austinsom

That's the trouble, I have no idea whether it's a screw down or snap-on given that lack of clues.  I suspect snap on, but am not sure! Failing anyone who has open one of these, I may glue a nut on and attach it to a wall and towbar and see where that leads.

splke

certainly looks like a snap off/on caseback 

but no sign of an in !

imagine it will be even harder to get back on after :Doh:

NCRich

That back pops off.  99% sure.  You need a thin blade to get under it.  Sometimes you can start with a straight edge razor of thin kitchen knife just to prise it up a bit so you can get to it with a case knife.

austinsom

Thanks for the tips so far. The only thing that fits under it that I have is a DE razor blade, and obviously that has no strength at all! 

I did manage to get a utility knife blade under there and thought that might be enough to move it, but no movement and the blade snapped. 

Just about to take a cold chisel and 2lb lump hammer to it to see if it really is glued down! I’m not risking a kitchen knife as the only ones I have that are thin enough are razor sharp and cost significantly more than this thing is worth. 

Let’s see if it can break a solid lump of iron too ;)

tonyh7

Rich is right! Out of curiosity I had a look at my prs516. Had it years so it must be due a battery. It is a press on case back, and a little application of a sharp knife (small swiss army blade for me) got it off. Even better the watch was undamaged and I still had 10 fingers and thumbs. New battery in no probs. Bit of a fiddle getting the case back on again but provided the gasket is in place a bit of brute force and ignorance soon sorts it out. 

austinsom

Strange.  This one won't budge at all. I have tried a very fine bladed screwdriver, pen knife, swiss army knife, craft knife, utility knife, thin dinner knife and a case knife.  It just wont move at all.  Think it can just go and live in a drawer!

NCRich
1 hour ago, austinsom said:

Strange.  This one won't budge at all. I have tried a very fine bladed screwdriver, pen knife, swiss army knife, craft knife, utility knife, thin dinner knife and a case knife.  It just wont move at all.  Think it can just go and live in a drawer!

https://widgetsupply.com/product/bcx62.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAi_D_BRApEiwASslbJ0uRpqbD1HAcZTSxeTPSZZmMhAlg_iRSoBzKW4qrCzzGkNDlVUNnbBoC_-sQAvD_BwE

These work well.

narikaa

^^^

This (same principle as the cold chisel /hammer you alluded to - I use the wooden handle of a DIY type screwdriver to tap it)

You'll probably see a discrete location you should have used once it's off (probably near the base of one of the upper bracelet lugs)

Edited by narikaa
  • Like 1

austinsom

Thanks all for the tips, I will check out that case back opener, and also one I found that has a thin flat hook on the end to get under the back.  If that doesn't work, back to the hammer!

SteveA

Snap off /twat on.You just need to persevere with the blade you choose.I had this problem and kept filing a screwdriver down until I could get it under.Like Reg says there is probably a spot near to one of the lugs in around the 12.05-12.10 position (try each in turn).You will need a caseback clamp/press to get it back on.

Good luck

tonyh7

Outsource the fecker to a half decent repairer. A battery change won’t cost much and afterwards you can ask them how they got the bastard to yield!

• Like 1

GingerApple

Just take it to Timpsons - half of those fuckers know how to crack a safe, let alone the back of a watch.

Theviking

My father in law has one of these, changed the battery a few months ago. It's a pop off back. It was a bitch to get off. I used a razor blade as recommended by Rich. Maybe you could try shimming it up with some thread.

austinsom

Just thought I would come back to this and post an update, mainly as I hate threads where advice is requested and then you never find out what happened!

As you can see from the original photos, the back was quite scratched up from previous attempts, and as those are hidden, I decided to break out all my available tools.  I quickly discounted the jack hammer, pick axe, SDS drill and chainsaw as a bit girly and went straight for the nuclear option.  Unfortunately my friend Kim with his small collection also couldn't get the back off, so back it came.

Eventually, I tried the other suggestions, including thread, razor blades (I don't recommend this, easy to take off a finger tip!) and finally a Stanley knife.  I did try various case back knives, but all were too thick to slip in the non-existent gap between the case and back.

After much prying, and one blade later on the Stanley knife, I heard a rush of air like Indiana Jones when seeking the Ark, and the case back popped up about a foot in the air.  I would post pics of the carnage, but picr.me is fecked right now.  

It turns out the back on this bastard is a friction fit type, using a red spacer ring in between the flange of the back and the case to seal the gap and provide grip.  It wasn't greased so I suspect this is why even Geoff Capes would have struggled.

Long story short, I stuck a new battery in and BOOM, working again.  I hope this is some sort of Japanese (I went for a Seiko one) miracle/fusion powered battery.  I do not want to do that again. Ever. Except for beer for Saturday. maybe.

• Like 1

austinsom

As Picr.me seems to be working again, the photos that go with the above post are now here to view for your morbid fascination. 

Z6xoUy.md.jpg
Z6xGBf.md.jpg
Z6xw8X.md.jpg