Glucany

My first rep and review: OMF Omega Speedy Dark Side of the Moon

Glucany

I have just received my first proper replica, Omega Speedy Dark Side of the Moon, and I am really happy with what I've got! :D  

First of all, I'd like to thank Li and Lana @JTimewatch:  the whole process, from ordering to payment, QC to shipment and delivery was smooth, clear, stress free.   All my questions were answered patiently and professionally, and at the end I got a replica watch that looks and feel better than I expected.  

As per the rep itself, a couple of premises  first:  I love Omega Speedmasters, I own an older gen Speedy Professional and I consider the DSOTM one of the best looking chronographs out there,  so I might be a little impartial.   Also, I am not a watch expert, I am not  a collector, and I have only briefly handled the DSOTM gen once at a TD,  so my "review" is far from accurate...more like sharing my first and second impression.  Last, I tried to take the best pictures possible and clearly the iphone 12 is not that magic photographic machine I thought it was - will try harder next time.   Here we go:

Overall Impression.  Straight off the box (bomb proof, thanks Lana) and in my hands,  the watch itself looks and feel like a real watch.   Heavy, elegant, luminous, solid.  The dial, looked at from 20 inches (approx the distance from eyes to my bent arm) appears crisp and clean, very much gen like.  Definitively not so the strap which looks and feels really bad, nor the movement on the open back case - although the engravings on it are really crisp and gen-like.

Positives

- I think the dial is really nice and sparkly, with printing and marks very, very close to gen without magnification.   

-I don't want to jinx myself, but the 7750 beating inside sound really good, actually it makes no sound;  the second hand sweeps perfectly smooth, as does the chrono hand (i gave myself 1 start-stop-reset a week, right now I am done using it  till April ).   

- The case ceramic looks top quality and from memory quite similar to gen;  the finishing is really good on the bezel and on the side and back of the case (but not on the lugs). 

- The bezel markings, as well as those on the back of the case, are in my opinion very crisp and credible.  

- The crown clicks out in position 2 and 3 and then back nicely, crisp;   hands sweeps smooth and date changes easily.  However, resetting time feels too "light", for lack of better words, maybe not shit-replica-like, but definitively not luxury time piece like. 

- Case shape:  I might be wrong,  but case and lugs are very sharp and well defined, close to gen (by memory of gen handling and benchmark with internet gen photos).  

Negatives

- Definitely the date window and date wheel.   Although the size and shape of the window seems OK to me, the date is placed waaaay too deep down, to the point that at certain angles the numbers are not see-able.   I have read somewhere, either here or next door, that it should be possible to fix that and push the DW up;  if true, that would improve the watch appearance by a lot.  

- Also, the watch is thick, very thick:  measured with my jeweler wife's caliber, it's 17.4mm thick vs 16.5mm for the gen - so the replica is actually not too bad, it's just the watch that's a brick.

- The strap is really bad, really.   And the clasp feels like it's too light (although my wife, the jeweler, swear it's ceramic and it's supposed to be that light.

- Crystal is bad.  It's clear if you look at it from the front, but at an angle or from the side it looks too think and plasticky.

- Open back.   It's an instant reveal, so don;t take it off your wrist ever.   If someone insists, say you have a viral dermatitis and you'd rather not.

So, at the end, would I buy it again?  Yes.   I am actually thinking of swapping a gen crystal, DW and strap in (by the way:  if anyone knows if the replica can take gen DW and crystal, please let me know).   Would I recommend anyone to buy it?  Uhhmmmm, maybe not, unless you love the real watch.  

Is this a super rep? Hell no.  Is it a A+ or a NWBIG? Not even close.   But here's what I think:  if you keep it clean and scratch free, wear it with confidence and claim viral dermatitis is anyone asks you to take it of your wrist, 99% of the people from across the room will think think this is real. 

Z8azGY.jpg Z8aZi3.jpg Z8aHLD.jpg Z8ajps.jpg Z8aK8k.jpg

NCRich

Nice looking watch.  I don't know about the crystal size.  Best thing is to pop it out and measure it.

Mystery Shopper

Very nice but I agree with you that the DW is subterranean. I have seen the gen and this doesn't have the 'shine' that the gen has.

Its still a good watch though. Don't let your head explode with dark forebodings too & I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.

:D

• Like 1

BadApple

What factory is this?

Yeah the old 7750 sunken datewheel is pants as it is with so many other decent reps but on this model it is all wrong with numbers too high in the aperture and that horrible white line ???

Glucany
On 16/01/2021 at 02:05, BadApple said:

What factory is this?

Yeah the old 7750 sunken datewheel is pants as it is with so many other decent reps but on this model it is all wrong with numbers too high in the aperture and that horrible white line ???

OMF.    My pictures are not good: white line is not there, just a light reflection of sorts, and the numbers are centered, although really sunken.  

If there was a way of pushing the datewheel up one millimiter, this would be more than a decent rep.

paccbet

Shame this watch is a bit big on me cause I love it

Chaparral

That's beautiful. I have it on the list but have wary of the 7750 configuration.  I'm guessing by now they've got the bugs worked out and it should be pretty solid. Congratulations on a beautiful watch.