borut_pisk

What's the catch? Is there a catch? Looks like, but...

borut_pisk

Hi guys.

Was searching sth on Ebay and spotted coincidentally this seller page.

https://ebay.com/usr/boltingdartsltd

Check his other items for sale. Click on category Wristwatches abd then take a look at his inventory.

At first sight looks like a heaven for watch collector/enthusiast, but it looks like there is a catch...

He has a lot of items for sale (I just looked in category watches) and some starting prices are "ridiculous", to good to be true.

And if you click on some item, on pics, there is a description that the seller doesn't accept any bids on items, but item have its Buy it now prices. And seller also doesn't answer to messages via Ebay, but on some email...  all looks (and probably is) like a scam profile, but what I don't get is that this seller has pretty long story on Ebay (registered since 2007; looks like an established Ebay member; feedback is really good...), which makes me wonder...where is the catch?

Could be possible that this sellers profile has been "hijacked"/stolen/copied? 

What are your thoughts, have ever had an experience with those kind of Ebay sells?

Btw... not looking to buy from this seller, but as I said, I spotted this seller by coincidence, while I was searching for sth else. Now I just want to see where is the catch, in case if in the future I would spot something similar.  And I am registered on Ebay since 2002 and I am not a complete noob there, I have some experiences with fake and scam adds etc. (I would say I can spot them...). Just want to hear from you if you know these new ways to scam people?

Thanks.

Edited by borut_pisk

TanGo

I know that it is possible to buy an ebay account with a good reputation.

• Like 1

fatarms

I've seen quite a few of those in the past month and the accounts are shut down very quickly. 

deju

Hacked account. 

tribefan

Looks like it's already gone. There are some threads in the scam section on hijacked accounts. There were a bunch of them popping up a while ago, if you look closely at the url's listed listed in the description they were spoof sites, not actually eBay.com. 

fatarms

The few I saw wanted you to email someone at a pawn-shop dot store email address.  A little email sleuthing on those showed they were less than legit.  These hijacked accounts are new to me, I've only seen them recently, like the past month or so.  Is this a new thing or have I only just noticed them on ebay? 

borut_pisk
7 minutes ago, fatarms said:

The few I saw wanted you to email someone at a pawn-shop dot store email address.  A little email sleuthing on those showed they were less than legit.  These hijacked accounts are new to me, I've only seen them recently, like the past month or so.  Is this a new thing or have I only just noticed them on ebay? 

Yes, this kind of scams are also new for me, that's why I asked for opinions here.

I also spoke to my colleague and he said that those kind of scams are also spotted on some cars/motors search websites (like autoscout24 or mobile.de).

deju
16 minutes ago, fatarms said:

It's far from new, they always aim for popular high ticket items, Guitars, cars, camera's, laptops watches ETC.

They always ask you to email an email address rather than use ebay.     

fatarms

I know one of them was a legit pawn store account that had no real history of selling a lot of watches.  Had a reputation rating over 10,000.  All of a sudden there were about 100 luxury watches selling for $3000 with an email address.  Even some A Lange & Sohne $50K+ models. 

Glaude
6 hours ago, TanGo 838 said:

I know that it is possible to buy an ebay account with a good reputation.

This ! 

You can find accounts on darknet marketplaces for cheap

• Like 1