fatarms

How many watches is the right number for you?

fatarms

I've never owned more watches than my single watch box could hold.  I had a 10 watch box, my wife bought me one with 12 slots.  I gave the 10 slot box to my son.  So as of now, I limit myself to 12 watches total.  I guess the reason is guilt, and maybe not the guilt you think it might be.

I still have 2 slots open in my watchbox, but both of those watches will be here in the next few weeks, they're both in the air right now.  And when I have 12 in the box, I still have the favorite 2-3 that get the most of the rotation and the one watch that maybe sees the light of day once every month or two.  I feel guilty for spending the money on watches that just sit there, I want watches I'm going to reach for.  I don't have the "watch museum collection" feeling, where you just collect as many as you find interesting and want to own, but not necessarily wear.  So in the next few weeks, I'm sure that feeling is going to return and I'll feel the need to get rid of a watch or two (I've already got my eye on a couple I may move on.)

I think my ideal number would be about 4 or 5 and I wouldn't feel any guilt at all.  I have some watches in my collection that I've held onto for sentimental reasons.  Prime examples of that would be the gen 16750 from my wife's grandfather and the fiddy homage with the baseball glove strap (the fucking strap cost more than the watch did :lol: )  I played baseball for a long time, coached my son's team for many years, and checked an item off the bucket list while wearing it - went to a World Series game wearing it.  Add onto it the Seawolf II she bought me for our wedding, and there's 5 right there.

The thing is, I hardly wear that fiddy homage, so I feel some guilt just letting it sit there and can't find it in my heart to let it go.  I keep a beater or two in the box at all times.  I have a watch that my daughter got me for Christmas (it's a fake wood grain looking watch that's really made of plastic but the case back has an engraving on it and my daughter's name.)  So there's 5 spots of watches that are always going to be there out of the 12.  That still doesn't help with the guilt though.  This hobby has made me mentally ill... lol.

I've seen a couple people here over the years that had 300+ reps.  I don't know how you crazy fuckers do that :lol:

• Like 5

dingle

One

• Like 1

fatarms
7 minutes ago, dingle said:

One

at a time? :lol:

dingle
1 minute ago, fatarms said:

at a time? :lol:

Lol

I have worn just one, the same one, for 8 years now. Seriously. 

fatarms
28 minutes ago, dingle said:

Lol

I have worn just one, the same one, for 8 years now. Seriously. 

Oh wow, what model is that?  I would assume it's a gen as well?

Bill_C

I currently have somewhere north of 20... not sure exactly but my guess is about 23-24. Several collectables that are in storage, hence a ballpark number.

However, I have recently considered slimming down to maybe 4 or 5 daily wear watches and my collectables in storage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Depends on how many I can stuff in various drawers around the house and not catch heat from the Mrs.   Now I think I'm at 25 now with a couple I need to sell but been too busy (read: lazy) to list.  

Intresting

Always one more than I think.  :D 

• Like 1

tonyh7

I avoid counting. Firstly because the answer would probably horrify me. Secondly because what I don’t know, I can’t divulge under interrogation. 

• Like 1

Mr_B

I think 6 is the magic number, you could rotate 5 in the week and have that special one for the weekend. 

• Like 1

funkmaster

i have 12 slots in  in the box, 11 are full, pending 1 watch.

Bbsee

For me personally @fatarms, I mentally sperate the watches that I feel are of 'sentimental' significance, from the watches that I actually love wearing/really like. There might be 2/3 sentimental watches that aren't really of much financial value/I don't tend to wear, so I don't consider these as 'part of the collection' as such.

I would say a healthy collection (of watches you actually wear regularly), would be around 5. I'm currently on 4 watches I like and 3 watches of sentimental value/not worth much to sell, although I did have around 12 too at one point.

Edited by Bbsee

GC

Only one, but it would have to be a watch that was stolen from me many years ago. 

I’ll leave it at that

BADBILLY

I can still remember the Christmas that I got my very first watch back in 1977 , I was 10 at the time XWywEJc.jpg

Back then it was a big deal to have a digital watch . That's where it all started . I only kept about 10-12 various watches until 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit the US gulf coast .

I had a couple of Citizen and Seikos , usually in the neighborhood of $300-$400 USD , each .   I also had one Movado .

Quite a few years later I found myself in the market for my first luxury watch (Rolex) , and I couldn't make up my mind between two models . I stumbled across a couple of videos on YouTube regarding replica watches .  At first I was marveled at a couple of internet web sites that advertised the reps for about $1000-$1500 , (thankfully those sites didn't pass my litmus testing ), and then I found some Noob sites and almost purchased from there , but was still skeptical .

Once I found this awesome website ,  RWG , a whole new world opened up for me .  My plan was to get two replicas to determine which model I would purchase as the genuine .

Pandora's box was open at that point , why not just get a couple more just to be certain that I didn't miss a better choice .  These day's there are over 60 in my collection , and I am in the market for a third watch winder wall safe .  I think that I might start a rotation and let a few go to other enthusiasts , because there are at least 5 that I am waiting to purchase . 

Maybe , a lot of us go through phases , like the Gold phase , the Rollie phase , the IWC phase , etc..... .... ....

I am glad that I found the fine folks here at RWG , that have opened up a really fun hobby .  Yeppers I believe that I am finally getting closer to determining which model I want for a gen, just want to get a few more before I finally make my decision............LOL.....

• Like 6

Pob

I would be happy if you move to my place for a week or two and help me get my collection down to 5-6 watches. I have round 60 and can't get myself to sell. I hate selling and never could do it, first I always miss the watch I sell that I almost never wear anyway and second I hate stupid questions while selling. My collection moved away almost entirely from reps long time ago so is non reps that win at the moment. Anyway would be happy I could be like you or many of you who can actually sell watches to buy new. 

• Like 1

deju

Really I think 2 maybe 3 is the amount. 

I have probably just over 20 now. mix of rep and gens. 

My gens have not been worn in over a year most 2-3years now. It’s all a bit silly. 

I think a nice tool watch for work, a nice watch for special occasions and a weekend watch would be good. 

really envy those with the one in one out rule. I’d like to achieve that level of Zen. I really do try to only buy keepers now.

• Like 1

BravoDelta

ZthR94.jpg

Jibuti

Dozen. Or13, lucky number. 

Jonnybaws

Ideally if you wanted a collection 7 would be a good number, 1 a day.. but that's not always possible and it's human nature to want a bit more.. I had too many a while back, I'm whitling them down , not sure I'll get to my magic number of 7 though..

• Like 1

hasel5

I tend to stick to a couple of watches for work normally a quartz tbh. Then have a swap in evening weekends to the small collection and thats a mix of gens and reps

• Like 1

NCRich

I don't understand the question.

• Like 4

splke

For most of us idiots it is definitely  1 more than we currently have :Doh: 

• Like 5

CaptainFantastic

Apparently 39 isn’t enough because I ordered a Longines Spirit the other day...:facepalm:

• Like 2

Frazzle

Well I’m down to 6 at the moment. The box has been empty for sometime now! Divorce will do that to you. Hopefully in time I can build a collection again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jibuti
7 hours ago, NCRich said:

I don't understand the question.

perfectly understandable for someone who's total of totals of watches is close to:

Infinity Symbol Vector Card HD Stock Images | Shutterstock

so solution might be

MAYBE YOU NEED A Q TIP - Star Trek Q | Meme Generator