fatarms

How many watches is the right number for you?

GingerApple

There's no way if be happy with a handful, I'd just get bored. I wear at last two watches a day and more like three a day during lockdown. That means I easily wear most of my watches during a month. I have just shy of 75 at the minute. Based on my routine, I reckon about 65 is my sweet spot so I'll try and get rid of some of the lesser worn soon. There's no way I'll go above 75, they just won't get worn.

• Like 2

Mr_B
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

There's no way if be happy with a handful, I'd just get bored. I wear at last two watches a day and more like three a day during lockdown. That means I easily wear most of my watches during a month. I'm a have just shy of 75 at the minute. Based on my routine, I reckon about 65 is my sweet spot so I'll try and get rid of some of the lesser worn soon. There's no way I'll go above 75, they just won't get worn.

You sad bastard. Can’t see how you wear more than one a day unless you change your outfit also, sporty in the day, classy in the evening? lol

deju

When are we deciding the 10 @TheGingerFerret ? 

I’ve gone through the collection and have my zenith and Tudors selected 

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, Mr_B said:

...unless you change your outfit also, sporty in the day, classy in the evening?

Exactly! Except the other way round: suits/smart daytime, scruffs at night (and smoking jacket after dinner obvs).

6 minutes ago, deju said:

I’ve gone through the collection and have my zenith and Tudors selected 

Tudors are going nowhere! Well, maybe the BB36. Zenith could go perhaps.

Mr_B
Just now, TheGingerFerret said:

Exactly! Except the other way round: suits/smart daytime, scruffs at night (and smoking jacket after dinner obvs).

How sophisticated 

Glaude
9 minutes ago, Mr_B said:

How sophisticated 

Don't forget to picture the ginger is those clothes, kind of ruin everything if you ask me ... 

I'm with Rich, I don't understand the question, I have no plan of ever stop collecting them, if I reach a thousand, so be it :lol: 

• Like 2

Jonnybaws
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

There's no way if be happy with a handful, I'd just get bored. I wear at last two watches a day and more like three a day during lockdown. That means I easily wear most of my watches during a month. I'm a have just shy of 75 at the minute. Based on my routine, I reckon about 65 is my sweet spot so I'll try and get rid of some of the lesser worn soon. There's no way I'll go above 75, they just won't get worn.

Yeap, WFH, watches in the office it's a miracle if I don't switch a couple of times.. can only mean one thing, 31 watches isn't enough :D

Flinnt

When I first discovered rep sites with TDs and suddenly had the confidence to buy reps I thought 6 would be perfect. I’m up to 22 watches now, rep and gen. I just need a couple more. Which is the perfect amount. A couple more than I have, that is. 

black263

Clare and I have about 60 between us.  I say about, because, truly, I have no idea without going upstairs and counting.  Ideally, I'd like 4 or 5.  Chance of getting there -square root of not a lot.

Edit.  Checked and it's 68.  I have 50 and Clare 18.

darryldale

I've managed to scale things back significantly and keep the collection to 3-4 watches tops.

Current collection:

Submariner - Gen

Montblanc Chronometrie Ultra Slim - Gen

Omega SMP - Rep

Phoenixboy

seven, because i cant afford anymore, so its time to add straps...:giggle:

als86

Great thread...

I have always liked shiny things so at 12 I got my first proper watch which was a Citizen Auto 18 jewels then followed seikos etc. Still got them in the garage somewhere.

For years after that my interests changed and I only ever wore one watch from being a teenager up to about 21 ish then I got a nice gen Sub (regrettably now sold) as I didn’t wear it for fear of damaging it I then started buying reps.

My first rep (will never forget) was a breitling navitimer and was all I can describe as a “satellite dish” my parents were in stitches when I put it on my wrist it was gigantic :lol:. Day 2 the strap pin broke and 10 mins later the hands flopped to the bottom of the dial lol.

Time passed and again interests changed. Since then I joined this forum a few years ago has seen my number of quality reps go up to around 9 with another 2 stuck in the post. My watch box only holds 12 but my parents gave me a 2 watch travel case so since filled that with 2 Gen Superoceans :thumbsup: that I was torn between a Gen Aquaterra or Gen Moonie of which I still may get one or both.

I had never considered PAMs as I always thought they were huge but now I can’t get enough of them plus my wrists have grown somewhat into my 30’s.

So yes I agree with @fatarms with the 5 or 6 as you tend to pick the same ones over and over. The hardest part on here is looking at daily wrist check and seeing a JLC, PAM or IWC etc thinking oooh looks nice and then one pops up on M2M :facepalm:.

The best thing about this forum and credit goes to everyone is the wealth of knowledge and tips you can get from members whom have been in this game longer than I have been alive, knowledge is a powerful tool any fool can know. The point is to understand. :thumbsup2:.

markismyname

Once I hit 8 that I really liked I'm not itching for more.

That said. I look everyday to see if there's something I really really want and if I do, I put it in a doc, then go back to it every month or so and ask my wife what she thinks.

Some watches we like more or less over time. The ones we like more after 3 - 12 months of waiting we'll get.

So if I stopped today with 8 I'd be pretty happy but I already added another one from Mary that's coming after CNY :)

gwkiw

I limited myself to (2) 6 watch cases.  Currently I have 9 reps and (2) average dude gens (a nice Bulova automatic and an Invicta cheapo sub kind of  copy). When I was first drawn into this hobby I did most of my rep purchases the first couple of years in.  Sold most of my average gens I had at the time to focus on getting more reps.  

I haven't purchased another rep for a couple of years or so now as I feel I have enough and need to make some decisions.  Out of my 9 reps I also found I pretty well wear only 3 of them daily in rotation.  My (2) Breitling EVOs (I'll never get rid of them, my first rep purchases)  and my Omega Speedy.  

Then I have a few I simply appreciate the unique style and design. I wear them on occasion. (2) AP's and a Pam684 (exc. rep).

Then there is my Patek 5070R,  great HW movement display back,  the face craftsmanship. I don't wear it much at all but I just really enjoy simply looking at it and appreciating the craftsmanship. 

The last couple, another PAM, a 676  HW, and an Omega Pl. ocean that I rarely  wear. These 2 will likely go up for sale to someone who will appreciate and wear them more, along with my Bulova and the Invicta that I don't wear at all.

Once I rotate those I will make the plunge to finally get the one (probably last) rep I have had a long desire for my collection is a Noob Daytona with the full function movement. The cost is just too high for me for a rep right now with our never ending crappy CA$ without some sell/buy financial transactions. I have other hobbies etc. that need funding also.  

Excellent thread!  Interesting how priorities move around but this is still an intoxicating and enduring hobby I will always appreciate getting involved in.     

NCRich

OK, if the number in your post was less than I thought it should be I will ban you now.  Starting with the OP.

• Like 2

hasel5
5 minutes ago, NCRich said:

OK, if the number in your post was less than I thought it should be I will ban you now.  Starting with the OP.

That will be most of us then 

NCRich
3 minutes ago, hasel5 said:

That will be most of us then 

Don't you have like a 100?

hasel5

Iam still in then a mix of about 80 gen and 100 reps

• Like 3

Junior88

How many watches is a good number for me..........

How high can you count? 

• Like 2

stephenc

I'm hoping it's 14!! Mainly because I already have 2 Gen and a smart watch (gotta watch the stress levels and blood pressure) and there are 10 rep that I like the look of. Yes the math doesn't add up, but nobody is stopping at 13!

BadPickle

I tell myself I could manage with 5....  

fatarms
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

Can we wait til my m2m sells first? :lol:

Jonnybaws
7 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

I tell myself I could manage with 5....  

A day? Watches are like fruit, that's what I tell myself ;-)

NCRich
3 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Can we wait til my m2m sells first? :lol:

Well.......guess we will just wait.

BadPickle
10 minutes ago, Jonnybaws said:

A day? Watches are like fruit, that's what I tell myself ;-)

:lol: