Awk Ward

How long do these watches last?

Gallonerro

I have some Rlx which are around 5 years old. They all still run great 

trevorwilkin

It depends on how you wear them and how you take care of them, both when you wear them and when you deposit them. I have seen people wearing accessories at a medium price for over five years, and I also saw people wearing accessories that cost a fortune and destroyed them in less than two or three years. That's why this is pretty relative. However, if you need a guide about the watches, you should ask the guys from New Bond Street Pawnbrokers. They are the best in the domain when it comes to watches, their history, and so on.

Edited by trevorwilkin

trailboss99
4 hours ago, trevorwilkin said:

What is the oldest watch in your collection?

If you are asking about reps,  2008 21J  Noobmariner. If you mean watches in general, a 1730 chain and fusee pocket watch.

BadApple
5 hours ago, trevorwilkin said:

What is the oldest watch in your collection?

In my collection I have one that is is old as 5 weeks (well it has been Christmas and there is a Postal strike) 

• Like 1

BM284
6 minutes ago, BadApple said:

In my collection I have one that is is old as 5 weeks (well it has been Christmas and there is a Postal strike) 

That is something for you mate… usually it’s in m2m after stating that it’s ‘a keeper’ :lol:

BadApple
44 minutes ago, BM284 said:

That is something for you mate… usually it’s in m2m after stating that it’s ‘a keeper’ :lol:

:D

Hot Little Xixi

I've been in this hobby  for two years and I've learned to service and repair my reps myself. If you buy the basic tools and do your research and watch YouTube videos you can learn to do just about anything to a watch without needing a watchmaker. I'd be super nervous if I paid $400 for a rep and had to ship it off for repairs or try finding a local watchmaker who'll work on illegal counterfeit items. My parts box is full of messed up movements ( the cost of tuition to rep repair school) but now I'm able to regulate my watches for accuracy and if they break I can replace the entire movement in about an hour. I probably spent the cost of one high end rep on tools and supplies but it was well worth it.  Knowing I can keep any rep virtually forever for the cost of a $25-$75 movement is peace of mind. I'd highly recommend that you learn how to work on reps.

Edited by Hot Little Xixi
Spelling. English is my second language...
  • Like 1

Horace Derwent
4 minutes ago, Hot Little Xixi said:

I've been in this hobby  for two years and I've learned to service and repair my reps myself. I

This is so cool !

I would like to learn myself....any chance to have a video tutorial on Youtube ?

Hot Little Xixi

There are tons of video tutorials on YouTube. Just type in whatever you want to do or the type of movement. I wrecked  about 5 or 6 movements during the learning process but if I could learn to successfully service and repair my reps anybody could. I just wish I could do the really skillful work like reluming dials and hands without making a mess.

Kisses,

Xi

GingerApple
51 minutes ago, Hot Little Xixi said:

... if I could learn to successfully service and repair my reps anybody could.

I find it really hard. It must be those small, dainty, female hands of yours.

Hot Little Xixi

I'm glad you find it hard  thinking of my dainty little hands...:boobies3:  but seriously, my boyfriend got me into reps and he has  me install seconds hands on dials for him when his big fingers are fumbling and he's ready to throw the movement at the wall. My long fingernails are also great for picking up rotor and winding bridge screws on 2824s...

Michel78

Most good reps last long time, just few have trouble from the begining and will always have. But the factory made the movement assembling so industrial that there is no much issues. It's not like they make them in a small store with bunch of slave, and if you take good care of the watch it will last long

GenTLe
16 hours ago, TheOtherSpareGinger said:

I find it really hard. It must be those small, dainty, female hands of yours.

LOL :D

It's all into tools and steady hands. My favorite tweezers for the watches are a pair I got from neurosurgery dept of a nearby hospital, they changed their stock and this came home from my aunt who works there.

Amazing ones similar to these but without the grip on the endpoints. F*ck, I see now these are like 470$ :blink:

57c8a1bb-f0db-4fab-9de4-ad750096e024-800

Other cheap but good ones are the Vetus, that sometimes I also use, like these (mainly the 5SA and the 00 ones are the most useful): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32806627046.html

• Like 1

Hot Little Xixi
On 26/04/2023 at 03:38, Horace Derwent said:

This is so cool !

I would like to learn myself....any chance to have a video tutorial on Youtube ?

My BF just read this and told me that it appears that  you're asking if I could make a video of myself working on reps. That's really funny because not only am I a total amateur newbie but  I like to work on my reps totally naked. Don't in know why, I guess it's a zen thing or something. I feel totally one with the project when I'm completely naked. I also usually run around the house naked too. I only work on reps when I'm home alone because I need to concentrate without my BF doing stuff to me and distracting me.  Stopped that after I wrecked a perfectly good 3804 when he crawled under the table while I was trying to remove the stem. :mad:

Mystery Shopper

Your avatar reminds me of @DB Cooper. He had a Chinese GF as well. She was a real doll. :D

• Like 1

fatarms
3 hours ago, Mystery Shopper said:

Your avatar reminds me of @DB Cooper. He had a Chinese GF as well. She was a real doll. :D

I bet it's Stormy.

Horace Derwent
17 hours ago, Mystery Shopper said:

@DB Cooper !! 

3C07f4.png

He disappereed from this board several months ago (last visited October 2022)...who knows... 

Edited by Horace Derwent