Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

Centering a crooked cyclops for BoneyJR

MikeMcNair

As you will see the cyclops on this sub was WAY off, and this watch was sold to another member on here, then returned, and once returned Boney asked to have the cyclops fixed.

Before......

540b737c.jpg

As you can see it's WAY off.

Now, it is possible to remove the cyclops itself, but I found it easier to remove the whole crystal and simply put it on streight.

To do this one must have a flame/torch lighter or simply a torch that can put out a small, blue, triangular flame about 3/4" long. This I found to be the best ammt of heat so as to not damage anything else.

Simply put the flame on the crystal for 2-8 seconds and you will see one of 2 things: either the crystal will rise, or you will see the nylon spacer ring become more visible.

At this point remove the heat quickly and turn overthe watch. The crystal will fall out (make sure a towel is down, and DO NOT touch the crystal as it is not only very hot, but since all glass is technically still liquid (look it up if you don't believe me) it holds heat VERY long.

So wait 5-10 min before handling the glass!!!!

Then, simply place the glass in the proper position, ensuring the nylon spacer is in properly (should look like a sliver of an upside down cone)

Then use a trusty press to put her in like so (be sure to press it in a few different ways by rotating the watch in the press, this guarantees that the crystal sits FLAT)....

Also be sure to use a "cupped" die on the crystal side so it accepts the cyclops, if you use a flat one it wil never sit streight...

a93cca46.jpg

Notice the crystal is perfectly FLAT...

d7d99674.jpg

If this is a watch with the crown pasered at 6, simply line that up and you will find that the cyclops was not crooked at all, in fact it was just the crystal! So I lined up the crown at six and this is how she looks now...

7c30fae2.jpg

This is a bad shot but you can see how the bottom of the cyclops is now parallel to the bottom of the datewindow.

9420d4cf.jpg

And since this is pressed with proper spacer and all she won't let water in :lol:

Should boney want me to seal it from the inside, I'll do that next, but otherwise not a hard job at all.

More to come....

HWG

Nice work, yet again. Didnt know you could reset a cyclops.

jcagara

Damnnnn

Definitely the service I need, mine's kinda limping, the crown is properly alligned at 6 o'clock BTW.

nice job

downfromtheglen

Nicely done, sir.

Balad1

Once again, you da man Mike.

Impressive!

MikeMcNair
Nice work, yet again. Didnt know you could reset a cyclops.

Thanks guys.

And yes Dave, you can actually REMOVE the cyclops and re glue it with GS Hypo-Cement. Some jobs call for that(like the post above where the crown IS lined up but the 'clops is not) at which point it is virtually the same process.

Member X

Good work :lol:

I've not tried it but freezing the crystal before replacing it mightmake getting it in easier too - I know you can do it with vintage builds with plexi but I'm not sure about Rolex!

Freezing them makes them smaller so they might drop in easier (plexis do, anyway) and then they expand to fill the gap fully when they warm up :Thinking:

MikeMcNair

If one does not have a press I highly suggest freezing it X said, makes life easier!!!

Member X

Don't put it straight in the freezer once you've heated it up, though! :lol:

KeNnY

Very good, yep I have done it also with a sub. DId you also glue around the crystal ? :lol:

MikeMcNair
Very good, yep I have done it also with a sub. DId you also glue around the crystal ? :daffy:

Even though I wasn't asked to, I did he he :nana: