Whorologist

A call from Watches of Switzerland!

Whorologist

Most of us mere mortals wait for the day we get a call from the Rolex (or Patek/AP) AD offering up one of those prized pieces. I have been lucky enough to get the call twice in the last year and to my surprise I got another call from WoZ this evening offering me the GMT II Master! Three watches in the space of a year...this can’t be real? To good to be true?

Well. The first odd thing was the timing...around 7:30pm. I didnt expect folks in retail to work out of hours but was told with lock down they are short staffed and they have to meet their targets.....right ok. Nevermind, I’m still giddy with excitement.

Secondly, the guy didn’t sound very professional. Not someone I would expect working for WoZ. Very casual style. Fishing for information. Asking about my top four watches I want (they have my register of interest already). Said they are going through the list and still need to discuss internally blah blah. I’m trying to convince him I’m worthy of whatever piece he has to offer. Still giddy with excitement.

He said the watches are in demand (obviously) so he needs to know if I can pay now. I asked if he will email me the details like last time. He reluctantly agreed to do so. I’m still not accepting this could be anything other than a genuine call. Mainly because the number he is calling from is the number of my AD!! Still very excited...

Finally the email comes and my excitement turns to despair. The email is nothing like the genuine one i have received in the past and clearly is a scam. WoZ send you a secure payment link and do not ask you to transfer via bank transfer as below.

e18ad6fb5cc2c8b8862e6ca504ab1ab9.jpg

Folks, I don’t know how he got hold of my number or how he managed to call using the genuine WoZ number (inside job?) but if you have done business with WoZ be wary of receiving a call from Rupert Hughes (or anyone else) using emails ending with watchesofswitzerlandsales.com

I need to recover from this trauma by purchasing some reps. You can help my mental health by promptly responding to my WTB - I will take a Tudor Pelagos or Tudor Harrods off you smile.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

deju

You can buy tools to spoof caller id 

my bet is a data leak of emails / contact details from WOZ and they will call everyone knowing a high percentage have watches on a waitlist. 

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem

They'll probably read this thread at some point, so you may want to ask them directly if they'd like to fuck off. :D

Unfortunately there's countless ways they could have gotten the information to put this scam together, thankfully you're not an idiot @Whoreologist, and sharing is caring.

GingerApple

Clever, sneaky buggers. They'll make 000,000s from this.

Popperini

Jesus. Scary. Well spotted.

Mystery Shopper

It will be interesting to see what the real WoZ says when you report it. Maybe they will reward you in some way.

FudgyDocker

Hmm, a quick domain name check reveals a recent registration...

ZXPElp.jpg

deju
38 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Clever, sneaky buggers. They'll make 000,000s from this.

Expect a call shortly from a Scottish sales rep, totally legit. 

Glaude

Like with fishing emails : go yourself on the mentioned website in the email to check whatever verification the potential scam email is asking you to do, here call your AD with the number directly (not from the call history) and ask more info about what you've been offered

Whorologist

3df9909b3682318fcbebcd62de71edee.jpg

This guy is persistent. Feel free to bombard him with calls

GingerApple

Report the twat here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Only takes 5 min and may save someone from getting scammed. Assuming your UK.

k4jun

That is incredible, new level of scamming, thank you for sharing.

Did you let (gen) WoS know?

Theduke.williams
On 02/03/2021 at 20:36, TheGingerFerret said:

Report the twat here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Only takes 5 min and may save someone from getting scammed. Assuming your UK.

As Ginger says!

There's quite a bit of info for the Fraud squad to use here - bank accounts and phone numbers.

Maybe the scammer reads these pages, but probably not, being as he's still trying to keep you hooked. 

Would be nice to see the authorities nab this bastard.

Also need to get the scam website taken down.

BadApple

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.watches_of_switzerland_company_limited.4d6b4adeead68fc4459961707019199e.html

It's Goldsmiths Jewellers based in Leicestershire...... but the website clearly isn't.

Any bank payment you make to that account number and sort code will check to see if it belongs to the actual company. 

tribefan

Sort code is for a TSB branch in Glasgow. You can email Lloyds and copy the FCA to let them know they really don't Know Their Customer, and they have a scammer falsifying his account information.

sharkman07

It's very common now that Indian scammers use VOIP calls and can make their own number to appear as any UK number.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Whorologist

Looks like I wasn’t the only to receive a call

• Like 1

tortuga368

bunch of bastards...knowing full well that fomo is very real, especially when it comes to those aspiration pieces that you've been waiting forever for...