G_sus

Conflicting TD Information...

G_sus

I have a WTB out for a piece, which I assumed is out of production - No luck, so I thought I’d have a quick trawl through the TD websites for inspiration/alternatives

A TD next door had what I wanted listed on the site (I know not an indicator of stock availability) so I pinged them a message to see if still in production, along with a few TDs from here just in case

To say the responses I got were mixed would be an understatement!

I’ve had two tell me it’s freely available, two tell it is out of production/unavailable, and another TD even going so far as to say they sold all the units ever available, and anyone who says they can get it is a liar and a scammer!

Obviously not naming names here, but what am I to believe?

Really want this piece, but don’t fancy having my ‘play money’ tied up with a TD for  something that doesn’t exist!

I don’t have a ‘regular’ TD, as 99% of my purchases have been made through M2M

This just a case of suck it and see (Ooo’er) and part of the ‘game’?

Simonix

This will probably end up being a thread of people saying “I always use such and such TD, so contact them and go with what they say”

So I will start off... haha. 

I have used Mary, and she has found watches for me that other TDs have stated as not available. She has always come through for me. 

• Like 8

Foxindebox
1 minute ago, Simonix said:

This will probably end up being a thread of people saying “I always use such and such TD, so contact them and go with what they say”

I have used Mary, and she has found watches for me that other TDs have stated as not available. She has always come through for me. 

^^^ this

• Like 2

splke
10 minutes ago, Simonix said:

Agree but she has also told me she could get something i paid and then was told it was  unavailable so even the best can trip up

• Like 1

black263

Mary is a one-woman-band.  She doesn't seem to deal in anything like the volume of the others, and will go the extra mile to source hard to find watches.  It seems to me that the big boys have a few go-to factories or wholesalers from whom they buy, and if these suppliers don't have what you want, the TDs don't waste time hunting for you.

Many years ago, I was looking for a watch, and Mary said it was out of production.  Big TD said it was in stock.  I sent my money and got a "sorry, no longer available; please select something different" response.   I got most of my money back.  About three months later, Mary emailed to say she had found what I was looking for.  I learned a lot from that encounter

Now, I would only use three dealers.  Mary, obviously.  Reg, because he may only have a limited range of cheapies, but he actually holds his own stock and if he says it's available you can believe him.  Toro, because he is a genuinely nice guy, and having shared a few beers in his company, I have rock solid trust in him.

• Like 2

Waspy

I'd just like to add Marvelous Replica to the list.

BadPickle

let’s face it, we all have our favourites and can tell  tale where they’ve been unhappy with a dealer or two, I had a bad time with Mary once so won’t use again, that’s just how it is. 

Ryan or Angus for the big volume stuff, they both seem to be a big players with the factories and can get stuff as and when it’s released, like they’re first in the queue 

steve for everything else cos he doesn’t pull my pants down with the delivery cost

• Like 2

G_sus
14 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Steve for everything else cos he doesn’t pull my pants down with the delivery cost

This

Hundred times this

Million times this

’The price you see is the price you pay’

deju

Some of the smaller TD’s maybe able to find you the watch from return, b-stock etc. The bigger ones probably don’t want the hassle.

because chances are when a batch is done any now available are going to be parts watches and returns. 

So 2 questions is it a model like a sub where they are just waiting on the next version or is it like the Ebel that when it’s gone it’s gone. 

If it’s a returning model wait it out. 

If it’s rare reach out to smaller TD’s and roll the dice on what you get. 

let’s avoid “what TD people use” like @Simonix said. As every TD will get mixed experiences from members, it’s business. 

• Like 1

Flinnt

It pays to develop a relationship with a small TD. In my very limited experience (with reps, but I draw on all experiences) I’ve found once they trust you as an honest repeat customer they’ll say “I’m not sure, let me have a look” and then get back to you with “I’ve found it” or not get back to you because they haven’t found it. 
Small business will always help you out more...if you have a relationship. Big business is big business, you have to fit what works for them. 

• Like 1

GingerApple

What watch are you seeking?

Degsy1880

@black263
 "Toro, because he is a genuinely nice guy, and having shared a few beers in his company, I have rock solid trust in him"
now this is interesting or is this a whole other story ha ha 

like others have said all have their favourites I dont buy often but i have my goto's when I do due to past experience 

G_sus
47 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Fixed Chrono hand SS Daytona 2824 or 23J movement :drevil:

• Like 1

deju
16 minutes ago, G_sus said:

It is probably available without the mod... there is a post somewhere on how to do it. That could be an option 

• Like 1

Waspy
23 minutes ago, G_sus said:

Can I ask why you want a 21j?

Why do you want the hands fixed?

Why not just get a quartz?

Cheap as chips on the Gate, like under $50

Here's mine:

Z5mQ9j.jpg

I cheated though and took a pic when the running seconds hand (at 9) was exactly at 12 :D

Chavezzito
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

LHD Pelagos :fearlessleader:

G_sus
25 minutes ago, Waspy said:

Can I ask why you want a 21j?

Why do you want the hands fixed?

Why not just get a quartz?

Cheap as chips on the Gate, like under $50

It’s a good question!

Couple of things!

I have no use whatsoever for the chronograph, despite liking the looks - A7750 makes the piece thicker, and potentially unreliable - This counts those versions out

I’ve been recommended the DH Quartz version previously, and have seriously considered it

Think I’d like a mini sweep on my seconds @6 as small as it is!

I’ve also been working on waiting/saving for pieces I really want, rather than settling/hoovering up anything in sight that is a good price

Must resist...

Waspy
13 minutes ago, G_sus said:

Think I’d like a mini sweep on my seconds @6 as small as it is!

Yes, sorry, my mistake, the running seconds is at 6.

But surely a 21j or ETA clone does not have seconds at 6?

Edited by Waspy

k4jun
3 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

steve for everything else cos he doesn’t pull my pants down with the delivery cost

What is his screen name?

G_sus
18 minutes ago, Waspy said:

Yes, sorry, my mistake, the running seconds is at 6.

But surely a 21j or ETA clone does not have seconds at 6?

They sure do

Chrono hand is fixed at 12

Sec @6 running as per gen

Best of both worlds for me :bananarider:

Waspy
2 minutes ago, G_sus said:

They sure do

Chrono hand is fixed at 12

Sec @6 running as per gen

Best of both worlds for me :bananarider:

You live and learn... on RWG

Waspy

And as if by magic, this arrived at my door 5 minutes ago...spooky.

It was ordered 11 days ago and cost £46.

It is a gift for a family member.

ZXsQBX.jpg

G_sus
3 hours ago, Waspy said:

And as if by magic, this arrived at my door 5 minutes ago...spooky.

It was ordered 11 days ago and cost £46.

It is a gift for a family member.

ZXsQBX.jpg

You may well have to PM a link for that my good man

Doesn’t look like il have any luck elsewhere...

Waspy
33 minutes ago, G_sus said:

You may well have to PM a link for that my good man

Doesn’t look like il have any luck elsewhere...

Done :clap: