Sign in to follow this  
onzenuub

A7750 handwinding damage. Wind at your own risk., So easy to cause damage...

onzenuub

Originally posted by Ziggyzumba at RWGcc.

Handwinding an automatic has been discussed in detail.

Short version, it's damaging to the movement unless you wind very slowly, and only just enough to give the movement a bit of a charge.

All movements are prone to damage, some more than others. The 7750 is at risk and here's what happens...

To recap, on a 7750 if it's not running, give it a couple of turns with the crown, nice and slow, swirl the watch in your palm to get it running, put it on and leave it alone and let the autowinder do it's job.

IF you note any resistance or find it hard to handwind, STOP, or your going to damage the movement.

This type of damage is not covered by my warranty. The rotor can't cause this type of damage, it doesn't turn fast enough, or with enough force to cause this damage.

Note the missing teeth.

3660927278_4f6f1c2eb9.jpg

Another view, you can see all the teeth that have been ground down.

3660927502_e27d090d10.jpg

What happens to the grinding gear...it makes a mess all over...

3660927720_c87ce23b15.jpg

3660129451_eb60b9a22b.jpg

3660129679_8c16227acb.jpg

3660129785_381c09467f.jpg

New gear compared to the old damaged one.

3660129845_56dd0d0fb2.jpg

I cleaned up the mess, the watch was reassembled, and is working fine.

Handwind with CAUTION and at your own risk.

hozso

Hi

Where is the buy part,this movement?

thanks

KBH
Hi

thanks

If you mean where can you buy this part? You can't buy parts for Asian 7750 movements. You have to find an old dead movement to get them from. But, many of their parts are interchangeable with Swiss ETA parts. I have no idea if this part is.

SirDomino
Hi

thanks

If you mean where can you buy this part? You can't buy parts for Asian 7750 movements. You have to find an old dead movement to get them from. But, many of their parts are interchangeable with Swiss ETA parts. I have no idea if this part is.

So what do you do? just wear it for a little bit or turn the watch to allow the rotor to wind it until it starts ticking and then set it?

How about on the 2836 movement? Does the same information pretty much apply?

I don't wear watches daily, so if I do let it run down how do I get it back up and running without damaging it?

Thanks for this information! great post and should probably be a sticky!

KBH
Originally posted by Ziggyzumba at RWGcc.

Handwinding an automatic has been discussed in detail.

Short version, it's damaging to the movement unless you wind very slowly, and only just enough to give the movement a bit of a charge.

All movements are prone to damage, some more than others. The 7750 is at risk and here's what happens...

To recap, on a 7750 if it's not running, give it a couple of turns with the crown, nice and slow, swirl the watch in your palm to get it running, put it on and leave it alone and let the autowinder do it's job.

IF you note any resistance or find it hard to handwind, STOP, or your going to damage the movement.

Handwind with CAUTION and at your own risk.

All the info you're asking is in the first post......

Dendo

This is very interesting.

There are many sources stating 'that you can not overwind automatics'. Clearly this is not the case or an A7750 but if this is also true for other automatic movements I really wished I had known this a long time ago.

So we should hand wind slowly and just enough to set the movt going. Everything in moderation.......

KBH

This is really only because the A7750 has really shitty winding gears. And it's correct that you can't over wind an automatic. But too much pressure can certainly strip the gears.

Even the ETA 7750's that are used in manual wind chronos like the vintage Daytona, it is highly recommended that you remove the extra auto wind gears and turn it into a 7760, which is the ETA manual wind chrono. Then you won't have the problem.

And yes Dendo, everything in moderation.

Guanaco
This is really only because the A7750 has really shitty winding gears. And it's correct that you can't over wind an automatic. But too much pressure can certainly strip the gears.

Even the ETA 7750's that are used in manual wind chronos like the vintage Daytona, it is highly recommended that you remove the extra auto wind gears and turn it into a 7760, which is the ETA manual wind chrono. Then you won't have the problem.

And yes Dendo, everything in moderation.

Wait, so if you remove the extra auto winding gears it will not be a problem anymore? I was worried about this so I haven't gotten the PN Daytona I've been lusting over for a while now with the "A7760".