Mbari

BUILD: Rolex 6610 on a budget

Mbari

I've lurked around this forum since 2013, mostly to buy. Got seriously into it last year and what keeps me coming back here are the members. Compared to other forums, this feels like a true community.

Especially during Covid, after losing my dad and not being able to go to his funeral 17000 miles away due to lock down and my best friend due to a heart attack, this place is where I turn to for solace. Thank you all for the support, encouragement, critique and tutorials.

I digress, sorry. On to the Rolex 6610. This is one of my early builds back from 2020 July. Has gone through several nips and tucks since then. Back in June, I discovered Tiger concepts and modded their 1016p. Immediately started reading into Rolex 1016s and stumbled across Raffles. Boy was that fun! Not knowing much about the 1016 I ordered a 6610 dial, heck if I know if it's still a 6610 dial or a 1016. All I know is that the chapter ring was cool. I didn't have money to buy a true Viet gilt, jmb case, yadda yadda.

Raffles + Tiger concepts is a lethal combo my friends. That's a story for another day.

The dial: Originally it was very plain, chapter ring was gold but the indices were white. Gave it some Bonesey Vintage treatment and baked it a touch to make all look uniform and aged. Lacquer treatment followed to seal the look. Only recently I found myself with some extra lume mix after reluming a gmt dial. Figured why not give this a try. Oddly enough the 3 came out perfect and then I just went savage on the 9. Ironically, 3 6 9 has a growing thickness theme here. So I'll pretend it was done intentionally in order of magnitude.

Case: Tiger concepts 99 dollar special. Has skinny lugs, plexi, lug holes and fits a raffles. Viola!! Gave it some limestone rock chips love. Sanded to soften it up, especially the bezel.

Bracelet: raffles I think. Rivet style of course. It came from one of more expensive pre built vintage watches. So I can't confirm.

Hands: Lollipop seconds with patina lume... Just hits the spot everytime.

Movement: esslinger DG ...before I knew things about stem height and ligne stuff. Probably will out a miyota in it soon if the DG breaks. But the DG starts beating when I stare at it after being totally dead...jk. But you know what I'm taking about.

If you've made it this far into my ramble, you must be a voracious reader of internet comments or just a glutton for punishment. So I will stop and move on to the the main reason I do this....taking pictures of watches with my phone. Enjoy and thank you RWG fam!

P.s. needs a proper crown this watch.

8cbfb9bfc23d069ab18f5a0fa8697cc2.jpg982176b522ff4fd961695b8f4a2e969c.jpg5badea31525d7ba491cf7eaa12e97cac.jpg95c6426af6be54b5a7ecc75a4b122617.jpgeea906d7fc09561ff4d07e182c25386c.jpg2d4fb22590e117c4cf149fa438b48483.jpg300e4db6a4a2a13ade99d69d76ae0931.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

BadPickle

Decent job there pal :clap:

• Like 1

Mbari
Decent job there pal :clap:
Hahhaah. Agreed. It's pretty decent ;-)

BM284

That is a lovely build :drool:

• Like 1

Foxindebox

That looks great :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

NCRich

That is a bitch to lume.  That's one of the better ones I've seen.  Great work!

• Like 1

Mbari
That is a bitch to lume.  That's one of the better ones I've seen.  Great work!
Yeah it was a pain for sure and thanks sensei.

JSebwc

Well done!!   it looks great!!  Good to know that raffles dials fit the  Tiger case.  

• Like 1

marittimo

Thank you for the tips and the inspiration!

jozeph

Bit late, but .. superb! Was this the 34.8mm case?

SamiJ

Nice build. Does anyone on here know if adding a non proper fitting crown can damage the watch. I'm asking because I put an aftermarket Rolex crown on one of my builds, but a few days later the movement became misaligned?  Does anyone know what could've caused this?