mojorising2

Western Union Payment

mojorising2

Noob question but I have never used Western Union to pay for anything before...

The TD has given me their WU credentials for payment but it is only

First Name: xxx

Last Name: xxx

City: xxx

It seems kind of vague identification details for a money transaction

There is no account number to uniquely identify the recipient so is that not a risk of the money ending up in the wrong hands?

Should the transaction not have some kind of reference phrase to identify the money as coming from me and being for a specific reason?

What payment options would normally be offered to a first time buyer?

And what payment option is recommended by experienced buyers?

fatarms

The TD has to provide an ID that matches the info to pick up the money.  I've never had to provide a transaction number for WU.  Follow exactly what the TD says in their instructions. 

I usually use Transferwise, much lower transfer fees.  The first time buyer methods are up to the dealers and how they want to conduct business.  If you end up purchasing more from them, you can ask if they use Transferwise as a methods next time.  But for now, use what the TD suggests and build trust and rapport with them.  

BadPickle

That’s all the info needed, when you complete the transaction with WU  you’ll get a MTCN number which you email to the TD, he’ll need that number to collect payment. 

I’ve done it this way lots of times. You just need to be exact with the details.... don’t ask me how I know :facepalm: 

• Like 3

fatarms
8 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

That’s all the info needed, when you complete the transaction with WU  you’ll get a MTCN number which you email to the TD, he’ll need that number to collect payment. 

I’ve done it this way lots of times. You just need to be exact with the details.... don’t ask me how I know :facepalm: 

This is correct,  I completely forgot you get the MTCN when you complete the send process.  Good thing pickle is here to straighten noobs like me out :lol:

• Like 1

BadPickle
3 minutes ago, fatarms said:

This is correct,  I completely forgot you get the MTCN when you complete the send process.  Good thing pickle is here to straighten noobs like me out :lol:

:lol:   

mojorising2

Thank you for the reassurance.

I will follow the TD's directions then.

mojorising2

Has anybody used this promotion code FIRSTFREEAU for sending money via WU from Australia?

https://www.westernunion.com/au/en/first-transfer-free.html

It is advertised on their website at the link above.

So I signed up. having never used WU before. But when I try to use it it says

This promotion code may have expired. Please check and enter a different promotion code.

I called them but I am getting a different story from each person i speak to.

One says it is valid but you have to go to the actual shop, not online, another says you need to choose certain transfer options, but when I choose those options it is still not valid.

Has anybody used it recently?

mojorising2

One of the folk I spoke to in their call centre said I cannot do any money transfer online with Western Union without first visiting a WU shop in person and showing physical ID.

I hope that is not correct.

BadPickle

I know WU tightened up their security a while back, in the good old days I just turned up at a high street outlet and handed over cash... job done!! 
It did seem a very fishy way to send money around the world but hey, it’s fake watches right so who am I to complain :D but a couple of years ago I was asked for ID I guess someone forced them to sort themselves out, people trafficking money laundering, drugs etc...  I’m in the UK so maybe in OZ it’s different 

TBH I’ve never used their online service,  I always use cash because I’m generally hiding a fair bit from the taxman anyway. It’s no biggie to skip down to the local shop, you might even make a new friend. 

15 minutes ago, mojorising2 said:

One of the folk I spoke to in their call centre said I cannot do any money transfer online with Western Union without first visiting a WU shop in person and showing physical ID.

I hope that is not correct.

Why so? 

gthansis

Hi.

My 2 cents worth of input. Just finished 2 transactions with 2 Different  TD's. In both cases I used WU. A simple way of doing it is you go to their site-WU-register and pay with your credit card. Important!This is NOT a credit card transaction with the TD. Only with WU. All of the transactions are very secure. The transaction comes in PDF format with MTCN in it. You forward the number.....Happy Days :) 

Edited by gthansis
  • Like 1

mojorising2
On 08/03/2021 at 02:49, pickledbeetroot said:

Why so? 

It is quite a long drive to the nearest Western Union branch from where I live

On 07/03/2021 at 04:29, mojorising2 said:

The TD has given me their WU credentials for payment but it is only

First Name: xxx

Last Name: xxx

City: xxx

I have tried to do the transfer online but Western Union is also asking for a Street Address for the recipient. It is not optional and transfer cannot proceed without address.

ZdSuXi.jpg

The TD only gave me a city.

Has anyone managed to use Western Union to China online without a Street Address?

On 08/03/2021 at 04:53, gthansis said:

The transaction comes in PDF format with MTCN in it. You forward the number.....Happy Days

Thanks Gthansis

BadPickle
1 hour ago, mojorising2 said:

It is quite a long drive to the nearest Western Union branch from where I live

I have tried to do the transfer online but Western Union is also asking for a Street Address for the recipient. It is not optional and transfer cannot proceed without address.

ZdSuXi.jpg

The TD only gave me a city.

Has anyone managed to use Western Union to China online without a Street Address?

Thanks Gthansis

Better ask the dealer for more details then pal, or maybe ask for  a different payment method. Some here use transferwise, , I have never so can’t help you on that. 

• Like 1

Intresting

Perfectly fine.  Ask the TD to supply a street address.  They are more than willing to do so. 
You also do not have to visit a WU store personally as WU will be debiting from your authorised bank account, which is defacto vouching for who you are.

Free first transfer?  Its only a savings of $2.50 mate.   Just move on.  You already save heaps on the exchange compared to PayPal.   Besides, if you send to locations other than China you can choose the Poli option and its free.

Arael

Dealing with ecommerce business is not an easy thing to do. There are lots of people who have heard of dropshipping and think that it's so damn easy to make millions on it.

Chiquita Fanjita
48 minutes ago, Arael said:

Dealing with ecommerce business is not an easy thing to do. There are lots of people who have heard of dropshipping and think that it's so damn easy to make millions on it.

ZMkkuR.jpg

• Like 1