Sign in to follow this  
rburgundy

New guy with a GMT jones

rburgundy

Howdy from Texas. Looking for an affordable GMT watch until I have the means (and permission from the wife) to move up (ultimately Glycine Airman...like the vintage one of my dad's I lost 20 years ago). Explorer homage fits the bill for now...but is Chronotac/Alpha decent enough to knock around (swim) etc.? Also considering Invicta 9401 pro diver GMT (but hard to find a trusted dealer who has them in stock).

flottiglia
Howdy from Texas. Looking for an affordable GMT watch until I have the means (and permission from the wife) to move up (ultimately Glycine Airman...like the vintage one of my dad's I lost 20 years ago). Explorer homage fits the bill for now...but is Chronotac/Alpha decent enough to knock around (swim) etc.? Also considering Invicta 9401 pro diver GMT (but hard to find a trusted dealer who has them in stock).

Welcome onboard rburgundy.

I have had a Chronotac Explorer for about a year and its a watch i really like.The vintage style execution is pretty good with the acrylic crystal and off white lume.

Mine gets regular use and still looks good and its kept time within 3-4 seconds a day straight out the box.The movement is DG3804 fairly slow beat but reliable.The only downside is theres a knack to setting the GMT hand,backlash in the gears means setting it about 15mins after where you want it to start if you get me.

Mine has a decent seal on the caseback and an o-ring on the crown but i wouldn't trust it for swimming.its never fogged up in the shower though.

They seem to be quite hard to find now,i got mine for about $60 on the bay but they want $150 for them now and they aint worth that.If you can find one for the right price its a decent watch.

The Alpha looks similar but i wouldn't class them as the same watch,for me the Chronotac is better made.

Edited by flottiglia