Pesman

Review: Gen v Rep Tudor BB Chrono

Pesman

With the recent delivery of both a gen and rep Tudor BB chrono to my house, I was in the handy position to photograph what is, undoubtedly, one of the more popular chronographs around.

Whilst the three hand BB have been gloriously rep'd by ZF and others already, the chrono presents a few challenges to the modified 7750 world of the rep makers...

1) it's bi-compax with a date. This generally means extra gearing and a sunken date

2) the minute counter is a 45 min scale rather than the usual 30...more gearing?

3) the sub-dial dimensions do not match a 7750 as the BB is built on a modified Breitling B01 movement

So how have they done?

The only available rep appears to be this one...at $298 approx £215...and is the one reviewed here

https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=228&products_id=18368

No factory mentioned and no bold 1:1 claims so how close is it and does it make a whole lot of difference if you are saving around £3k against the gen??

So pics and comments below...rep on the right...in case it isn't obvious...

74c0830f29159385f38f74911aea38df.jpg

The most obvious difference is the date. The rep is sunken and the window quite a lot smaller. It is also positioned differently on the dial. The gen window is much closer to the minute track.

The sub-dials are larger on the rep and not recessed like the gen...

The 45 minute counter on the rep is still geared for 30 minutes so does not align with the minute markers when running.

A couple of close ups...

b3379bf95e88c1b872e8af43de07e495.jpg
Gen....

82765be32c9f75206277cdc641d5f503.jpg

Rep

The Dial appears bigger on the rep. You can't read Swiss Made without tilting the watch. On the gen there is a discernable gap between the case and minute track

The bezel.is sloped more steeply due to the larger dial...

From the side the difference is obvious

The rep is on top...

5f5c48ba82badb874090d19aa6cea48a.jpg

The case is thicker and the case back is lower on the rep to accommodate the reworked 7750

Finally the clasp quality...rep on the right.

b66b1f7b6f5cde34b05bcde787142982.jpg

The engraving on the rep is much deeper and a clearer font

In summary, whilst not the worse, this is probably not the rep to get unless you just want to see how a BB chrono feels on the wrist...

The ZF three handers are stunning and a much better option, in my opinion, than the chrono. Hopefully they will make the effort soon and come up with a better one

Cheers for reading....

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Del

Yeah, the rep looks poor compared directly to the gen. Tbh, the quality of Tudor is so good that reps generally will not get close to them.....unless you’re a blind man on a galloping horse. ;) 

Enjoy the new gen! :D 

TanGo

I don't know much about watches, but looking on the straps, I immediately determined where the replica was :D

Pesman
I don't know much about watches, but looking on the straps, I immediately determined where the replica was 

I have actually gone back to watch finder over the strap as it is badly watermarked and scratched...hence why it now sits on a ZF bracelet! New strap inbound...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Intresting

Wow!  Congrats on new acquisition!  You will not be disappointed.  The B01 base movement is amazing.   Vertical column gears, very satisfying vault like button feel. 
I concur that the 3 handed ZF reps are so much closer.  If you got a 41 BB in the blue or red bezel 3 hand its a hard tell.  Even the BB58 ZF is really close. 

fatarms

@Pesman great reveiw, I pretty much came to the same conclusions looking at your gen pics while holding my rep up to the screen :lol:

Now, my question to you... is the gen worth the price tag, or more precisely, what price is right for the gen?  I've seen them anywhere from $3500-4200 used and about $4200 to $5000 new and I'd love to get one.

Intresting
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

@Pesman great reveiw, I pretty much came to the same conclusions looking at your gen pics while holding my rep up to the screen :lol:

Now, my question to you... is the gen worth the price tag, or more precisely, what price is right for the gen?  I've seen them anywhere from $3500-4200 used and about $4200 to $5000 new and I'd love to get one.

If you can get brand new 5 year warranty $4200 is good.   If not, 1 year old $3600-3800.   Get it with the bracelet as its the most expensive accessory.  Get straps from TanGo88 here.  

• Like 1

Pesman
[mention=44524]Pesman[/mention] great reveiw, I pretty much came to the same conclusions looking at your gen pics while holding my rep up to the screen
Sorry mate only just seen your question and I think you've already sorted things! I paid £2900 for mine...on leather

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

West34th

The date window on the rep would prevent me buying one, it's miles out and stands out like a bulldog's bollocks.