Simonix

My first vintage Rolex build - 1655 Explorer Steve McQueen.

Simonix

Hi all. 

Had my first bash at doing a vintage Rolex. 

BP 1655 base watch. 
2836 clone mvt.
Mochacha Singer custom replacement dial.
GMT hand repainted orange, all hands aged by me.
Aged date wheel (replacement champagne overlay in the post still). 
Case and bracelet all aged and polished/re-brushed by me. 

A couple of pics of when it first arrived with me:

ZsK85k.jpg
ZsKnbD.jpg

And how it looks now....

ZsKeoi.jpg
ZsKAgX.jpg
ZsKh1I.jpg
ZsK24c.jpg
ZsKU0p.jpg
ZsK5Pb.jpg
ZsKitF.jpg
ZsKa55.jpg
ZsKmNt.jpg
ZsKqK2.jpg

• Like 4

Simonix

Quick re adjustment of the dial. Was a bit out of line....

ZshP6t.jpg

• Like 5

BravoDelta

Looks amazing. Nice job :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Ibanez

Yep, another beauty...  Looks top drawer..... maybe one day @Simonix you'll end up knocking these out as a TD... or you'll be abducted and be a chief artisan for a Repco in China :D

• Like 2

splke

Smart that pal 

• Like 1

rusky27

Did you age the new dial slightly? Or is this the colour under the crystal seems slightly darker which looks even better than the dial itself pic. 

• Like 1

nuvolablue

Lovely job.

Hope you do some more of these vintage rolies..... Then maybe us small wristed folk can pick up some of your M2M offerings (the PAMs are too big for me).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Simonix
3 hours ago, rusky27 said:

Did you age the new dial slightly? Or is this the colour under the crystal seems slightly darker which looks even better than the dial itself pic. 

All I did was add a very very slight extra “colouring” to the 12 & 6 marker. The dial face was left as is. 

tobe fair that lighting in the dial photo probably made it look lighter overall.  

rusky27
10 minutes ago, Simonix said:

All I did was add a very very slight extra “colouring” to the 12 & 6 marker. The dial face was left as is. 

tobe fair that lighting in the dial photo probably made it look lighter overall.  

It Looks grand, I wondered if you'd added to an already nice dial. As it looked even better installed into the watch. I also like the wash over the date wheel, nice touch. 

• Like 1

Peter Sta

What a cracking job that is!  Massive respect.

• Like 1

als86

Very nice @Simonix great work :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Buddhabar

@Simonix...:thumbsup:

Great work and above all nice dial and hands. But I am not convinced by the date disc and the second hand.

My personal opinion for me who am a lover of 1655. Oh by the way where did you buy the dial?

Thanks.

• Like 1

NCRich

Its very nice @Simonix.  I like it a lot.

However @Buddhabar has promised to sell me his.  :rofl:

Haven't you?

• Like 2

FunnyStarSystem

That's a lovely job mate, this is my absolute favorite of all Rolex models and you've certainly made it the spitting image of all $30K! I love this watch so much I even own the homage:

ZqFpEb.jpg

• Like 3

brang1

Top job- clever bastard 

• Like 1

Mbari

Beauty! One of the best I have seen so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mbari

Forgot to say hello d61b85b1c171fe7d1657315a13c78913.jpg

• Like 4

Simonix
8 hours ago, Buddhabar said:

@Simonix...:thumbsup:

Great work and above all nice dial and hands. But I am not convinced by the date disc and the second hand.

My personal opinion for me who am a lover of 1655. Oh by the way where did you buy the dial?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Yeah, I have another date disc overlay on order, and the dial is still out line a little (I had to remove the dial feet as its got a 2836, not the gen 1575 movement). I will improve it.  Dial is from Mochacha. Sold as a “repaired 1655 dial” singer on the back, but I am guessing it’s very much a rep?! Looks very good quality though  I just added a tiny bit extra “patina” to the markers. 

Second hand? You mean the GMT hand I painted? Again, not perfect. The paint was a tad too thick, so wasn’t very smooth on application. I have another hand from rafflestime. but it doesn’t look as authentic, even though it was sold to me as a 1655 hand. 

love to have some advice from you, if you can help me. Thanks again. 

4 hours ago, Mbari said:

Beauty! One of the best I have seen so far.

Very kind of you to say, especially after seeing some of your incredible creations on here recently. It was your 1655 that I wanted to re-imagine myself! 

• Like 2

Simonix

Thanks for everyone’s kind comments. 

I dare not go down the rabbit hole of submariner vintage builds just yet! Haha!

Bbsee

Looks fantastic mate, great job! 

• Like 1

Buddhabar
Its very nice [mention=107415]Simonix[/mention].  I like it a lot.
However [mention=24370]Buddhabar[/mention] has promised to sell me his.  :rofl:
Haven't you?
Dear Rich ... you always woo mine ... maybe I decide to sell it to you. But for now I still enjoy it.
Thanks for your always kind words.
b1e0fec0d2e44a32b8d86a8d32e54d01.jpg
  • Like 3

Simonix

Final re-alignment of the dial...

ZsWz35.jpg

@Buddhabar, my other gmt hand looks the same as yours. Is that more correct with the smaller orange border, or should it be thicker like mine?

gens I have seen look quite thick...

Gen for reference...

ZsWKc2.jpg

• Like 1

Mbari

The cgs could use a little work if I may be so forward.

• Like 1

Mbari
Very kind of you to say, especially after seeing some of your incredible creations on here recently. It was your 1655 that I wanted to re-imagine myself! 
Tiger concepts gmt hand set does the trick, everytime. Check em out. Just have to pop the gmt hand into a mix of like juice salt and vinegar. This aged the "traffic cone" color of the hand to a muted color, matches the patina you have ok the dial so far.

On dw: what crystal do you have? The mag seems off. Clark's gmt xtal solved the issue.

Hope this is helpful

• Like 2

Buddhabar
7 hours ago, Simonix said:

Thanks.

Yeah, I have another date disc overlay on order, and the dial is still out line a little (I had to remove the dial feet as its got a 2836, not the gen 1575 movement). I will improve it.  Dial is from Mochacha. Sold as a “repaired 1655 dial” singer on the back, but I am guessing it’s very much a rep?! Looks very good quality though  I just added a tiny bit extra “patina” to the markers. 

Second hand? You mean the GMT hand I painted? Again, not perfect. The paint was a tad too thick, so wasn’t very smooth on application. I have another hand from rafflestime. but it doesn’t look as authentic, even though it was sold to me as a 1655 hand. 

love to have some advice from you, if you can help me. Thanks again. 

Here I am @Simonix .... sorry for the delay.
I'm not presumptuous or picky enough to see other people's imperfections. Since I started attending the field of replicas, my goal was to reach a beautiful 1655. I have always analyzed it in detail to understand its variations. In yours (which in my opinion is a really good job) I just wanted to point out that the second hand does not reflect the genuine one. That GMT, on the other hand, you did a good job. Even mine like yours has very "pointed" hands compared to those of a genuine 1655; sooner or later they should be replaced (not the GMT one).

Then, in yours, the date wheel does not convince me for the font and should be aged a little, giving a yellowing patina.
I hope you understood me, what I meant. Unfortunately I have to translate with Google translate.

• Like 1