Verve

Rolex Oyster Perpetual - Thoughts on this rep?

Verve

Hi All,

This Rolex rep has been in family for coming up to 23-24 years now, bought around 1997-98 from a dealer of high end reps in Taiwan. IIRC between $500-$750 was paid for it then. Ever since joining RWG, I have been pondering off and on every time I wore it, that how close of a rep this is and if there is any merit in what the dealer told us at the time of the purchase. This has had a lot of time on my wrist - over 15 years in my possession!

Dealer claimed:

1. All parts, except movement, are genuine or made on genuine Rolex tools/machines (that many swiss watch makers sold in bulk to Taiwanese manufacturers back in the days) to Rolex specifications

2. Links in the bracelet are made of 18k gold (see pictures - I need to take the broken link to jeweller to verify if this is indeed gold and what k)

3. Automatic Movement is not gen Rolex but it is gen swiss (removing case back exposes a nice and clean ETA 2842 iirc)

I do not think the glass is genuine but ...

Only find this 1974 OP model to be a match of sorts (Bracelet links specifically): https://www.hashtagwatchco.com/products/vintage-rolex-date-1500-two-tone-champagne-stick-automatic-wristwatch-new-old-stock-circa-1974

Hands etc are really well made, with no deformation or poor machining marks. Brushing of dials is just spot on and needs to be seen under the magnifier. Rounded polished edges on hour markers etc too. I am kinda baffled at the quality of this 90's made rep especially when comparing to the new reps coming out of China. Links are wrapped (as seen in one broken wrap) and internal hollow part is also yellowish metal.

Could you guys please cast a close eye on these pictures and let me know you thoughts please.

Oh wait ... where did the attach images icon disappear .. ??

Verve

aaah ... it's come up here now ..

ZsS3GL.jpg

ZsSKAR.jpg

ZsSh88.jpg

ZsSLzv.jpg

ZsSeY1.jpg

ZsS5wj.jpg

Verve

Links/Bracelet

ZsS0PI.jpg

ZsSFgj.jpg

ZsSSm4.jpg

Andylaw1919

These higher end reps were very popular in Asia in the 90s. Many were fitted with gen Rolex parts when they were still easily available. 

There were even solid 14K & 18K gold reps of Day Dates and Datejust models, some with the genuine Rolex movements. My father had purchased a rep of a 16233 back around that time. Made with 14K (tested) and a gen ETA2824. 

Comparing to a ref 14203, here are some things that stood out to me.

• The case shape looks off, especially the lugs (it looks a bit too thick)
  • Dial printing isn't the best (font is incorrect and some areas have smearing) 
  • "Gold" colour is a bit too light for 18K gold

aNss1.jpg

Edited by Andylaw1919
  • Like 1

Verve
On 01/04/2021 at 12:28, Andylaw1919 said:

These higher end reps were very popular in Asia in the 90s. Many were fitted with gen Rolex parts when they were still easily available. 

There were even solid 14K & 18K gold reps of Day Dates and Datejust models, some with the genuine Rolex movements. My father had purchased a rep of a 16233 back around that time. Made with 14K (tested) and a gen ETA2824. 

Comparing to a ref 14203, here are some things that stood out to me.

• The case shape looks off, especially the lugs (it looks a bit too thick)
  • Dial printing isn't the best (font is incorrect and some areas have smearing) 
  • "Gold" colour is a bit too light for 18K gold

aNss1.jpg

Thanks Andy. It is reassuring to know we are not the only one but there are others (inc yourself) out there who bought these reps with genuine parts. We have about 6 of these in the family, all bought around 96/97 from same dealer in Taiwan - I have two in my possession and second being 16800 (pics below). Eldest brother has a DJ similar to one in your post but without diamond hour markers iirc.

Yes the 'gold' is lighter than 18k on my OP. Hopefully when the jewellers are open, I will take the broken link over for a test.

Some pics of the 16800

Verve

ZuYzTK.jpg

ZuY30v.jpg

ZuYK51.jpg

ZuYhBj.jpg

ZuY2N4.jpg

ZuYLKI.jpg

ZuYe1c.jpg

ZuY5MX.jpg