iang27

New or old, will this tidy up ?

iang27

I have always bought new or excellent condition watches but I was considering this 16610 which has a few marks and is well worn.

Its a case of either buy a new ARF 16610 or this that can be made mint again.

Can the gouges be polished/filed out ?

It needs an LV insert sourced.

Are today’s ARF models a safer choice compared to an older version ?

Zvew15.jpg Zve44F.jpg

Edited by iang27

Aramis2288

In my opinion, mate, if you want a shiny new watch don't count on repairs and renewing heavily used one. You will be only getting frustrated and annoyed, plus bringing it back to shape will trigger extra costs. Bit pointless IMO.

If, however, you would like to go for a more 'vintage' appearance, you can save some money and buy this kind of thing.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

tribefan
42 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

In my opinion, mate, if you want a shiny new watch don't count on repairs and renewing heavily used one. You will be only getting frustrated and annoyed, plus bringing it back to shape will trigger extra costs. Bit pointless IMO.

If, however, you would like to go for a more 'vintage' appearance, you can save some money and buy this kind of thing.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

This is solid advice. If you are into doing the work yourself for a hobby, because you just like to tinker and have no expectations on the end result then go for it. And be prepared to learn some lessons that will cost money along the way. 

If you are buying something thinking you can refurb it to new for a lower cost, forget it. Just buy something new.

NCRich

Where are the gouges?  Seriously are you talking about those tiny microscopic dings?

If so, buy a new one and put it in the safe deposit box. 

Rx4Time

If the condition of that bothers you in those pictures, I would very very highly recommend you just buy a brand new one because you'll never be satisfied with any repairs done to that.  Just my two cents.  If you're looking for something to wear that would be fine since it already has a couple of nicks in it, but the amount of time and cost involved to get it close to new looking you'd be better off just buying a brand new one.

FunnyStarSystem

I agree with the previous replies, if you're looking for perfection you should buy new. It's ironic because the most expensive watches sold on here are almost all scratched, faded and oxidized purposefully. But another thing to remember is these high resolution cameras we all use now on our phones really make imperfections far more glaring than they will be when the watch is sitting on your wrist. I have watches that look flawless to the naked eye under normal light, but appear to have been used in combat when photographed with my phone. So if you're uncertain, have the seller take more pics in a variety of light/angles - at which point they will probably tell you to fuck off :D

You should buy new.

deju

Said it once said it a million times.... number one tell of a fake watch.... it’s all new and shiney. 

Gens are worn. By (especially in Rolex case) owners who don’t give a shit. It’s a bloody tool watch. 

Diplomatico
7 hours ago, NCRich said:

Where are the gouges?  Seriously are you talking about those tiny microscopic dings?

If so, buy a new one and put it in the safe deposit box. 

Haha thanks for the laugh

narikaa

Re the photo

Surely a little wear would be commensurate with sporting a vintage rivet bracelet (even if it predates the watch)

Aramis2288
7 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Re the photo

Surely a little wear would be commensurate with sporting a vintage rivet bracelet (even if it predates the watch)

Or drop it on some nice, bit distressed leather strap. You are gonna get a nice, unique look, all the little scratches will end up looking stylish and adding character to a watch while you may be saving some quids (comparing to sourcing and shipping a new one from China).

(I may be a bit biased, as vintage Rolexes are chasing me lately, I would love to have this kinda piece in my collection :happy:)

iang27

Thanks guys. I think I am going to go for it.

I did intend doing a little work myself and thought the watch looked dirty in the pics but as some have said photos show up everything that isn’t that noticeable in reality.

I don’t know what that bracelet is, whether it’s an old one, a Tudor or some rep version.

It is a gen LN insert on a maxi dial

He has the regular bracelet as well.

Edited by iang27

k3rm87

Personally I would prefer to wear that than a new one. I wouldn't worry so much about putting some scratches on it as it would just add to the character especially with a 5 digit sub.