fatarms

YachtMaster vs YachtMaster II - probably a dumb question

fatarms

They look nothing alike.  One of them has that subdial thing that you somehow set when crossing the starting line when they sound the horn or whatever.   No clue how yachting works or whatever, but I remember reading that you push a button or turn the bezel... and the subdial plays into the whole thing. 

The other looks like it has all the functionality of a diving watch.  Nothing like the busy, ugly-dialed one.  What makes this watch a yachting tool any more than a Submariner would be?  I don't get it. 

FunnyStarSystem
14 minutes ago, fatarms said:

What makes this watch a yachting tool any more than a Submariner would be?  I don't get it. 

Not a whole lot apparently: https://www.crownandcaliber.com/pages/yacht-watches

You'd think a Daytona or Speedmaster would be more useful actually.

These old timers are pretty cool though: https://wornandwound.com/yachting-timers-watches/

• Like 1

trailboss99

The first is just a cool watch and the second is an ugly, overpriced, under speced POS that no serious racer uses unless obliged to by sponsorship commitments. Hope this helps. 

Seriously, there are way better race timers than that thing. 

• Like 1

fatarms
11 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

Not a whole lot apparently: https://www.crownandcaliber.com/pages/yacht-watches

You'd think a Daytona or Speedmaster would be more useful actually.

These old timers are pretty cool though: https://wornandwound.com/yachting-timers-watches/

Those Breitlings are nice, and I remember someone had one of those rainbow colored ones in a wrist check here years ago.

5 minutes ago, trailboss99 said:

The first is just a cool watch and the second is an ugly, overpriced, under speced POS that no serious racer uses unless obliged to by sponsorship commitments. Hope this helps. 

Seriously, there are way better race timers than that thing. 

I thought so... thanks. 

• Like 1

Piloten

Technically you use the subdial to count down to the start signal. You want to be at the start line at best speed as the start signal goes. The setting is a complex affair for no good reason. The pam526, 726 and 956 all have the same count down/ count up complication set by pushing a button

Makes a great egg timer too

CurioLeo

The Yachtmaster is basically an upmarket Submariner that doesn't offer any specific unique function other than a rotating bezel (albeit going both ways with a minute counter is useless) and the term is literally a reference to rich people hanging out on their yachts . Yachtmaster II is, IMHO, one of the ugliest watches ever made that is unworthy of the price tag and offers an unnecessarily complicated  solution to a relatively simple problem which has been far better addressed by Panerai, Omega etc. I also have absolutely no idea why they are I and II - no functional or aesthetic correlation whatsoever.

• Like 2

Aramis2288

Here you have some interesting facts together with amazing shots. An interesting thing to watch IMO - I really do love this channel. 

• Like 1

FL13
On 20/04/2021 at 23:47, CurioLeo said:

The Yachtmaster is basically an upmarket Submariner that doesn't offer any specific unique function other than a rotating bezel (albeit going both ways with a minute counter is useless) and the term is literally a reference to rich people hanging out on their yachts . Yachtmaster II is, IMHO, one of the ugliest watches ever made that is unworthy of the price tag and offers an unnecessarily complicated  solution to a relatively simple problem which has been far better addressed by Panerai, Omega etc. I also have absolutely no idea why they are I and II - no functional or aesthetic correlation whatsoever.

The YM originally had a uni-directional bezel as it was only last-minute rebranded into a new "name" but up to it's release it was a submariner.

My 1992 original year production 16628 has unidirectional bezel, submariner midcase, and GMT caseback.

They swapped out casebacks form the 16618 to the 16578 to reduce the WR to 100m and thin out the watch.... but the original has Submariner Midcase, Movement, Triplock Crown, Crystal, Bezel, Bracelet.... and lacks the Clasp, Divers Extension and 300m rated caseback.

Those three  TECHNICAL differences are what make a Yachtmaster vs 5 Digit Sub, different in the first few years of production... other than inserts / dials and case finishing, they are otherwise the same watch.

• Like 1

CurioLeo
3 hours ago, FL13 said:

The YM originally had a uni-directional bezel as it was only last-minute rebranded into a new "name" but up to it's release it was a submariner.

My 1992 original year production 16628 has unidirectional bezel, submariner midcase, and GMT caseback.

They swapped out casebacks form the 16618 to the 16578 to reduce the WR to 100m and thin out the watch.... but the original has Submariner Midcase, Movement, Triplock Crown, Crystal, Bezel, Bracelet.... and lacks the Clasp, Divers Extension and 300m rated caseback.

Those three  TECHNICAL differences are what make a Yachtmaster vs 5 Digit Sub, different in the first few years of production... other than inserts / dials and case finishing, they are otherwise the same watch.

There you go, thanks for confirming YM was literally a luxury Sub :D