Sign in to follow this  
Pohoho

Any way to tell glass from Sapphire?

Pohoho

Is there any way to differentiate glass from sapphire, without subjecting them to a destructive scratch test?

Wiz

You can use a small electronic device called a diamond tester. You can find one either in the RWG shop or on the bay.

sconehead

...some used to say if the water beads in small droplets, it's likely to be mineral, big ones it's sapphire...dunno if it's true though...

Pohoho
You can use a small electronic device called a diamond tester. You can find one either in the RWG shop or on the bay.

Thanks Wiz for the suggestion, I was looking for a one off solution as I have a gift watch to put on sale in the future so if there's a way to be sure then that's extra selling point.

opus9
Is there any way to differentiate glass from sapphire, without subjecting them to a destructive scratch test?

Not being a watch expert alL i have to offer is refractive index..I would suspect that sapphire glass reflects / refracts at different wave lengths..so perhaps speak to ska..who has a UV light he may know far more than I.

regards opus9

NFleischer

Someone once said they make a different sound if you tap them, not sure either.

JohnG
Someone once said they make a different sound if you tap them, not sure either.

Yup, have heard the following, but haven't confirmed them:

Sapphire sounds different when you tap it.

Bead of water test

Color - they say mineral has a very slight blue/green tint to the end of the crystal where the cut part is visible above the bezel...

andygt

Flick it.

Plink noise = mineral

Dull noise = sapphire

Wiz

I tried all of these grandma tricks, and if I ended up buying a diamond tester, it's because they don't work.

But it's no surprise, there are so many variables, from the AR coating, to the thickness of the crystal, not to mention that there are various qualities of sapphire/mineral crystals, and all the other stuffs in between like hardlex.