Pesman

Kickstarter Watches - Ever Bought One - Ever kept it??

Pesman

Morning all. As posted yesterday, I received the first kickstarter watch I am actually going to keep - An Audric Seaborne...

I have backed a few campaigns on there and with watches being one of the most common crowd-funded items on there, it remains both an interesting and frustrating experience...

Whilst I love my Audric, I have got rid of all the others I have backed as they have invariably under-whelmed...is it just a NH35 and VK Quartz breeding ground or are their some genuine WOW brands and products in there?

So I thought it might be interesting to see how many of us watch fanatics have taken a punt on a kickstarter watch...or anything else...and how many have kept what they got...

From my side, the duds where...

The Darkwater 300m...looked great on the renders...NH36 Seamaster Homage for £350...in real life was distinctly under whelming...sold it

df6bc4407ab1d57133a0abacbeb6d5e3.jpg

The original Alpina X Smart watch...a interesting punt by Alpina to test the interest in a high-end smartwatch... it was still £800 but it was a great watch as you would expect from this brand and has been re-issued with better features than the original...sold it as smartwatch was not for me...

2df71c27973a5b6445edab5da5ca2383.jpg

Two LIV watch campaigns as below...both not for me on arrival

bcd09af719f7cfcf36d81baa01d13cfe.jpg

The Genesis 42mm

5ab84281aca985b403f067c2aebe276f.jpg

The Rebel

And finally my Audric...

8a2ec64cfd76092bab562f00d8d93646.jpg

So let's hear / see your kickstarter stories and spots...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MetalMickey

I liked that Audric when I reviewed it. I’ve bought a few Kickstarter watches but not kept many. My current favourite is the Revelot Veloce. It’s a quartz chronograph that looks like an Hublot - couldn’t be further from my usual taste!

ZRXbJs.jpg

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem

The dial on that Audric looks tantalizing, wouldn't mind seeing a few more shots @Pesman. I've never crowd funded anything myself, too skeptical :Hmmmph:

movintage

@Pesman I like really your  Audric, especially the dial. I too would enjoy a few more closeup dial pics- plez:)

As for myself with Kickstarter funding, I stay with the boutiques I know.  Once a year my friends and I attend the 3 day Windup show in NYC or San Francisco. If you haven’t been, it’s a must! We try and rotate.

It’s at these shows I’ve become acquainted with a number of manufacturers and designers and get in on the ground floor of their Kickstarter money raising. Not to mention a lot of cool SWAG, dinners and bar hopping. 

This year the show was virtual but still fun. So, yes I have invested in Kickstarter funding with Jimmy Collins out of LA,  Astor & Banks, Chris Ward before he departed CW and Undone.  And yes, I still own them all.

Pesman
I liked that Audric when I reviewed it. I’ve bought a few Kickstarter watches but not kept many. My current favourite is the Revelot Veloce. It’s a quartz chronograph that looks like an Hublot - couldn’t be further from my usual taste!
ZRXbJs.jpg

I am subscribed to your blog Mickey and have noted how many Kickstarter campaigns do seek your endorsement and must confess I am always impressed by the way you are objective and always looking for the good in even the most outlandish of designs. I think it was your review that put me onto the Audric in the first place...

What has impressed is the build quality of this compared to most others...it feels like a proper quality watch and is definitely up there with more established microbrands...

Maybe I should offer up a an 'on the wrist' feedback review...

MetalMickey
1 hour ago, Pesman said:

I am subscribed to your blog Mickey and have noted how many Kickstarter campaigns do seek your endorsement and must confess I am always impressed by the way you are objective and always looking for the good in even the most outlandish of designs. I think it was your review that put me onto the Audric in the first place...

What has impressed is the build quality of this compared to most others...it feels like a proper quality watch and is definitely up there with more established microbrands...

Maybe I should offer up a an 'on the wrist' feedback review...

The thing with microbrands for me is that platforms like Kickstarter connect those outlandish designs with the minority of people who like them. People like some off the oddest watches - just look at how many people enjoy Graham Chronofighters!

If you want me to publish your long term review with some photos I'd be happy to do so :) 

RepGuy

While not a Kickstarter watch, I did see one a few years back that I still like. Unfortunately it never went to production as far as I can tell. I even made a post about it a long time ago on here. The Moscato Chevilear. Looks like the bastard child of AP and Oris, yet here I am fantasizing about its sweet embrace on my wrist.

DSrPkpwU8AAMVJ9.jpg

P.S. If anyone is good with CAD and wants to front $20-$30k on tooling, I'd definitely maybe buy one from you. Just stamp an R-Factory logo on the dial and we can can it a day.

Glaude
19 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

If anyone is good with CAD and wants to front $20-$30k on tooling

I take care of the CAD part, you buy the tooling, you'll get one watch for free that way ;) 

Piloten

I got sucked in twice on Ferro.

The first one, a quartz single hander got traded off. 

one-hand-watch-orange-dial-quartz-watch-

The second, a mechanical oddity loosely inspired by the porsche speedster, kept getting delivery set back and back. Finally gave up. Won't be buying any more from Ferro.

356-one-hand-red-watch-ferro-watches-512

RepGuy
20 minutes ago, Glaude said:

I take care of the CAD part, you buy the tooling, you'll get one watch for free that way ;) 

Best I can do is $8

_DC_

I’ve got one of these coming some time around August and I can’t wait...

05-ED4342-A077-4-F99-8-F05-52-EBDF3-B0-A

43-B6-BBB9-319-E-491-B-B904-8-E1006-EAC3

I plan on keeping it but who knows!

DC

Theviking

I've always dreamt of running a kickstarter to design a watch. Ideally a 70s racing inspired st19 chronograph. Hand wind chrono for £200.  

Who's with me?!:bananarider:

• Like 1

Pesman
I've always dreamt of running a kickstarter to design a watch. Ideally a 70s racing inspired st19 chronograph. Hand wind chrono for £200.  
Who's with me?!:bananarider:
Absolutely! But I'd want it a decent size!

Glaude
21 hours ago, RepGuy said:

Best I can do is $8

I'll take no more than three fiddy

16 hours ago, _DC_ said:

I’ve got one of these coming some time around August and I can’t wait...

I plan on keeping it but who knows!

DC

Absolutely not your style, I wonder why you like them ... :giggle: