Popperini

Problem! SEL bracelet on bluesy has been fitted using 2mm springbars...

Popperini

Hello all!

So I kept meaning to try a TT jubilee bracelet on my bluesy Franken. I just sat down to do the swap, to find that the SEL bracelet has been installed using 2mm springbars - the sort that you'd normally use with a drilled lug watch, so you can push the ends of the bars in through the lugs. In the absence of lug holes, I can't see how the heck I'm going to get the springbars out! All I can see is this:

ZRsL2D.jpg  ZRs2fY.jpg

The signs of previous struggles are nothing to do with me, BTW... As I say, I just sat down to take a look at this for the first time!

There's no room to get a tool in (and anyway, the inner sections of these springbars are smooth, so there's nothing for a tool to get a grip on).

Am I just being a fool, or will I need to try and smash one end off the springbars to get 'em out..?

GingerApple

*Following to see how funny this is going to be.

• Like 5

Foxindebox
21 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

*same...

movintage

Spring bar tools come in different sizes. IMO, this calls for a smaller size. The fork of some spring bar tools usually are sharp enough to get a good bite on the bar.  This is what I would use with the case held firmly in a large size  watch  case vise ( I like to use the ones with adjustable plastic pegs).

In you pic I can see one bar with the pin just peeking out. Where all the lug damage is. This is the side I would wiggle the fork in, apply downward pressure on the pin while pulling back.

Edited by movintage
  • Like 2

Popperini
Spring bar tools come in different sizes. IMO, this calls for a smaller size. The fork of some spring bar tools usually are sharp enough to get a good bite on the bar. 

Yeah, I think I’ve probably got every shape of tool and size of fork that’s ever been manufactured by the Chinese Springbar Tool Corp (a subdivision of Matsushita Heavy Industries). So, I’ll carry on attempting to get something in there - but with such a teeny gap between the bar’s sleeve and the lug, there’s bugger all space for leverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diplomatico

Its time to bring out the power tools I’m afraid 

• Like 1

GingerApple

Perhaps try asking the part of the spring bar embedded in the lugs if it would very kindly be prepared to retract itself within the main body of the spring bar? Politeness can sometimes work wonders.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

GenTLe

Uhm, it doesn't look good :( And that thing is inox steel, not an easy material... I don't know... I'd maybe try to use a thin dremel bit to eat away the part of the bar that is reachable from the hole in the endlink... Risky but I don't thing anything else could do a lot on those bars...

• Like 1

tribefan

Cheap chinese jewelers screwdrivers come in handy for this sort of thing. 

• Like 2

fatarms

Try using something small and pointed to make a divot or indentation at the end of the exposed part of the bar so you can try to pry it with a thumb tack or something like that. 

hasel5

Failing that sell me the TT jubilee  Gifted  mine with a nice bluesy to a member here 

Aramis2288
3 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

+1 :beer:

3 hours ago, Popperini said:

Am I just being a fool, or will I need to try and smash one end off the springbars to get 'em out..?

Since the diameter of the spring bar is too big I think you can expect lots of resistance while trying to push it in. Traditional 'fork' type of springbar removal tool may not be sharp enough to bite into the side of the bar and be able to push it. Most likely it will end up just scratching it.

I guess that the small, flat screwdriver may have a chance to get in close to the edge and push it towards the bracelet.

Alternatively, if everything else would fail and in order to avoid inflicting further damage to the case (which is a pity, especially that we are talking about a franken here.... ), you could try using one of these small precission drilling devices. I think the most famous brand is called 'Dremel' but there are plenty of budget alternatives. With this sort of tool, you could precisely drill through the spring bar.

Edited by Aramis2288

Popperini

Thanks for all your input chaps, much appreciated.

There's definitely no chance of getting a springbar tool end in there, of any size. I couldn't even slide a scalpel into the gaps (not that it would have helped anyway). There's absolutely no way to get to the pry-able part of the springbars.

21 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Try using something small and pointed to make a divot or indentation at the end of the exposed part of the bar so you can try to pry it with a thumb tack or something like that. 

The only exposed part of the bar is solid - it's not going to go anywhere even if I can get something into it. 

24 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Uhm, it doesn't look good :( And that thing is inox steel, not an easy material... I don't know... I'd maybe try to use a thin dremel bit to eat away the part of the bar that is reachable from the hole in the endlink... Risky but I don't thing anything else could do a lot on those bars...

Yep, this is what I'm thinking will be the only way to deal with it... if I decide to deal with it. And it would probably be most do-able by using my massive over-engineered lug hole drilling drill press to do the drilling. It would allow me to drill into the spring bar ends really accurately. And it would mean I got to use the drill press for something other than drilling lug holes. But it could (would) still all go horribly wrong, which is precisely why Ginge is following this thread... he knows I have form.

Alternatively, the easiest (safest) way to deal with it is to conclude that the bluesy would look rubbish on a jubilee.

And you know what..? I reckon the bluesy would look rubbish on a jubilee. :) 

But I still have the TT LN I could try it on. So you're gonna have to wait a bit, @hasel5 :D 

Popperini

And of course, I'm not unaware of the fact that I'm still the mug who paid £1500 for a fake Rolex with a bracelet that can't be removed without resorting to power tools.

Redfire1066

@Popperini  .....

Place the watch face down on a soft cushion or microfibre cloth to protect the glass .. ..  . .

Secure the watch against a firm edge . ... . . pull or push it towards you .. ...

Use the very fine pointed edge of an  Engineers Scribe to press down and pull back the sheath of the furthest away lug towards you .. ... 

Hold it firmly in place and as you unveil the inner part of the lug pin below use you other hand with a small lug pin removal tool to remove pin from lug securing hole ..... the Bergon 6767F Removal Tool is for access to pins in smaller end links and has a width is 1.20mm 

Alternatively  .. .   you could use a small jewellers screwdriver and a small lug pin removal tool .. ..  can be a bit awkward .... ... you may feel you need a third hand .. ..  .. it will come out . ... it will always be solved easier by securing the watch case and using magnification .. ..    it can take a little patience ... ... ..    ... 

Good luck ... . .  

Edited by Redfire1066
  • Like 1

Popperini
12 minutes ago, Redfire1066 said:

Use the very fine pointed edge of an  Engineers Scribe to press down and pull back the sheath of the furthest away lug towards you .. ...

Thanks for the detailed explanation, but believe me when I say the sheath is stuck solidly in place, due to it being hard up against both lugs. The sheaths are almost exactly 20mm wide. So there's no possible way to expose the inner pin.* If you think about the way this has been installed - it was easy as anything to get them in, but once they're in, there's simply no way to get them out short of using an amount of destruction.

I bet the bright spark who did it looked at their handiwork and went... "Oh... Whoops. Um... Now what do I do? I know... M2M!"

But it sounds like I need to source the Chinese copy of the Bergeon 6767F removal tool, which it turns out is the only one I don't have. :) 

I wonder if my rehaut attachment tool would work instead..? 

*EDIT: Sorry, I should have said, "there's no possible way someone with my lack of skill could expose the inner pin."

• Like 1

Redfire1066

Try using a little oil  . .  it is possible this may provide enough lubrication between the two surfaces to move the outer sheath of the pin .. . .. 

Edited by Redfire1066

GingerApple
39 minutes ago, Popperini said:

But it could (would) still all go horribly wrong, which is precisely why Ginge is following this thread...

Precisely. So stop fecking procrastinating and get the Dremel out! I'm expecting at least a broken franken, but truthfully, I'm holding out for a Rolie Thumb Job™️.

• Like 1

hasel5
6 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Precisely. So stop fecking procrastinating and get the Dremel out! I'm expecting at least a broken franken, but truthfully, I'm holding out for a Rolie Thumb Job™️.

I just  want the TT jubilee

• Like 1

bettyswolloks

Get a Dremel and drill them, just drill them till one side has turned to dust.

Sent from my XQ-AU51 using Tapatalk

Popperini
8 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

:D :D :D 

Thing is, there's this voice in the back of my head that's willing me to get the watch clamped up and under that drill press, just to see what sort of unholy (or rather, holy) mess I could make of the job - largely for your amusement. I think I must have missed my vocation, as a clown. (Some would probably say I haven't.)

• Like 1

hasel5

4e0a3a7cba8d16ceaa4dde7ba3b45aef.jpg
c63ed1a9b1e151d9d155f921dcaf9992.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadPickle

Is this a thread buy the same guy who mods snoopy casebacks?

asking for a friend 

• Like 2

Popperini
2 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Is this a thread buy the same guy who mods snoopy casebacks?

asking for a friend 

GODDAMMIT

• Like 1

tribefan
3 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Regardless of the outcome, the photos will be absolutely stellar.