Popperini

Problem! SEL bracelet on bluesy has been fitted using 2mm springbars...

NCRich

Sorry to say I did that once.  Tried everything I could do to get it out.  Even bought a jewelry saw to try to cut that tiny bit that shows.

Ended up trashing the bracelet with a dremel cutoff tool.

k4jun
5 hours ago, Popperini said:

There's definitely no chance of getting a springbar tool end in there, of any size. I couldn't even slide a scalpel into the gaps (not that it would have helped anyway). There's absolutely no way to get to the pry-able part of the springbars.

The only exposed part of the bar is solid - it's not going to go anywhere even if I can get something into it. 

Yep, this is what I'm thinking will be the only way to deal with it... if I decide to deal with it. And it would probably be most do-able by using my massive over-engineered lug hole drilling drill press to do the drilling. It would allow me to drill into the spring bar ends really accurately. And it would mean I got to use the drill press for something other than drilling lug holes. But it could (would) still all go horribly wrong, which is precisely why Ginge is following this thread... he knows I have form.

I am afraid you are right, those look like 'vintage' 20mm wide x 2mm fat springbars, so opening the springbar is the only way.

Good news is - there are mini drills, like 1mm or even less (I am sure Dremel makes 0,8mm drills).

movintage

@Popperini Just bend the SEL out of the way to gain access to the bar. The SELs are like tin and easily replaceable.

What I’m curious about is how the lug ends were drilled to accept the 2mm spring bars without being fully drilled through? I’ve never saw 2mm bars on a Rolex that didn’t have fully drilled lugs.

Glaude
52 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Have you started yet? We're getting impatient....

Grab something like this diamond cutting disc, just 8mm diameter and .18mm thick and smash though it in no time.

https://www.artcotools.com/horico-diamond-disc-361-extra-fine.html

I too, would have tried the extra thin, and all floppy-i'll-break-into-a-million-pieces-into-your-face, type of cutting disk for rotary tool

Unfortunately like you, I did the same thing with my first watch a bit worse though : tried a bracelet without any hole in it with a springbar without any shoulder (not that it would have been useful since it was not possible to access the damn shoulder...)

A good clamp and a tiny endmill on a dremel solved the issue, those tiny things are tougher than they look, take your time !

Oh and I almost forgot : :rofl: at you, for good measure !

k3rm87

Time for the sledgehammer

Popperini
5 hours ago, Glaude said:

I too, would have tried the extra thin, and all floppy-i'll-break-into-a-million-pieces-into-your-face, type of cutting disk for rotary tool

Unfortunately like you, I did the same thing with my first watch a bit worse though : tried a bracelet without any hole in it with a springbar without any shoulder (not that it would have been useful since it was not possible to access the damn shoulder...)

A good clamp and a tiny endmill on a dremel solved the issue, those tiny things are tougher than they look, take your time !

Oh and I almost forgot : :rofl: at you, for good measure !

I’d be more than happy to laugh at my own stupidity Glaude, but for once I didn’t create this problem - it’s how the £1500 watch was sent to me. The seller was even kind enough to include the jubilee and a nice leather strap too, so I’m not sure if they were even aware that the bracelet was effectively captive to the case. 

@NCRich I’d prefer to try and avoid damaging the bracelet or SELs. Here’s Legger’s sale post description of it:I have added an Eddie Lee gold wrapped bracelet. Colour very close to gen. Has gold plating on the SELs, which were made additionally. Bracelet cost me 300 Euros.”

I am now obliged to deal with this, of course - because a) I can’t just leave it like this for the next owner, b) I can’t resist a challenge, and c) it will involve power tools.

I’m definitely jumping the gun here and ignoring the fact that the entire watch is going to end up as a lump of smoking debris, but can anyone post a link to a source of good quality springbars suitable for SEL fitment? I’ve got hundreds of crappy Chinese bars, but once this is sorted, I’ll need some decent gen spec jobbos to refit the bracelet. 

GenTLe
23 minutes ago, Popperini said:

’m definitely jumping the gun here and ignoring the fact that the entire watch is going to end up as a lump of smoking debris, but can anyone post a link to a source of good quality springbars suitable for SEL fitment? I’ve got hundreds of crappy Chinese bars, but once this is sorted, I’ll need some decent gen spec jobbos to refit the bracelet. 

Cousins UK has them :)

• Like 1

brang1

TY27699-Media-JDActual1200Wx1200H?contex

• Like 2

GulfGT40

If you've got a drill press I'd have a go with a carbide burr.

51138621922_d813072cbb.jpg

They're a lot stiffer than a drill bit and will carve through a spring bar like butter.

You could either have a go at grinding through it completely or at least making a small indent to then  be able to centre a drill bit for the final run.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Popperini
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

Cousins UK has them :)

Of course they do!

Now, the fun of searching Cousins site to try and identify the correct model from a list of 41,000 springbars with nonsensical nomenclatures.

Can anyone confirm if it's these little buggers? 

R8743  20mm (Ø1.78mm) Rolex Type, Swiss Made

20mm (Ø1.78mm) Rolex Type, Swiss Made

£8.95 for a pack of 5 pairs.

Popperini

e396806944fb39e42025b63fd3fad494.jpg

Mu-wa-ha-haaaaaa!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

NCRich
3 hours ago, Popperini said:

I’d be more than happy to laugh at my own stupidity Glaude, but for once I didn’t create this problem - it’s how the £1500 watch was sent to me. The seller was even kind enough to include the jubilee and a nice leather strap too, so I’m not sure if they were even aware that the bracelet was effectively captive to the case. 

@NCRich I’d prefer to try and avoid damaging the bracelet or SELs. Here’s Legger’s sale post description of it:I have added an Eddie Lee gold wrapped bracelet. Colour very close to gen. Has gold plating on the SELs, which were made additionally. Bracelet cost me 300 Euros.”

I am now obliged to deal with this, of course - because a) I can’t just leave it like this for the next owner, b) I can’t resist a challenge, and c) it will involve power tools.

I’m definitely jumping the gun here and ignoring the fact that the entire watch is going to end up as a lump of smoking debris, but can anyone post a link to a source of good quality springbars suitable for SEL fitment? I’ve got hundreds of crappy Chinese bars, but once this is sorted, I’ll need some decent gen spec jobbos to refit the bracelet. 

Oh that sux even worse.  Sad that its a good bracelet.  But just think how much more challenging that makes it!!!!

:rofl:

I'm afraid we all take far too much joy in misfortune.  :lol:

• Like 1

Popperini

Right, off I went to the shed, and found an appropriate sized drill bit...

cf965ddfe53ac5f6462e50eab8881b58.jpg
d49ea0fb8816f0cd4c2adaced2b5044e.jpg

Clamped watch installed on the press and drill lined up...

0478dd26d0dcdb7996d1aa2e4abc87c6.jpg

9c131d683fff5bc4a478a9c4decbffa0.jpg

cadb8ef4accffa692c92fde45f10cd0c.jpg

First hole drilled...

1a2da08dd3b18954233b66427fb11717.jpg

Inevitably, because it’s me, after a few holes drilled I achieved this:

9f7fcb20c57dda033798859bb208a399.jpg

But no probs, I’ve got plenty more. I replaced it and carried on.

I’m using cutting fluid and a very slow drilling speed, all as prescribed for drilling stainless. But the diameter of the bit means it bends and drifts very easily, so I may need to go to the next size up.

Anyway, the result so far is that I’ve got holes in the bar sheaths, but haven’t managed to drill through the inner bars. So I’m going to have to get something pointed and rigid enough in the hole to try and move the inner bars. A fine metal scribe would be perfect, but I’ll need to order one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

BadPickle

There’s a supporting vendor slot available on the GEEK, this should fly you through the probationary period easy peasy. @wimpie007

• Like 2

GingerApple
20 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

There’s a supporting vendor slot available on the GEEK, this should fly you through the probationary period easy peasy. @wimpie007

Or even at RWI based on recent activity....

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/word-from-rwi-staff-thread-moderated/9853777-welcome-logixa-to-the-rwi-watchmaker-list

• Like 2

Glaude
2 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

:rofl: to both this quotes!

Jibuti

fucking noobs keep this forum intresting.

• Like 2

GingerApple
2 hours ago, Jibuti said:

fucking noobs keep this forum intresting.

Agreed. The old timers evidently have nothing interesting to add.

Jibuti
2 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Agreed. The old timers evidently have nothing interest to add.

fucking noob.

Popperini

I’m just happy that others will be able to benefit from me sharing my great skill and experience. 

• Like 3

Jibuti
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

I’m just happy that others will be able to benefit from me sharing my great skill and experience. 

you may say that again. will you?

Popperini
9 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

you may say that again. will you?

Indeed, I will may say that again.

Jibuti

I like stupid people.... shooting them in the face.... after I shoot them in guts twice.... on fora or battlefield....same shit, rite?