Popperini

Problem! SEL bracelet on bluesy has been fitted using 2mm springbars...

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

I like stupid people.... shooting them in the face.... after I shoot them in guts twice.... on fora or battlefield....same shit, rite?

What has happened to you in the last 6 months?

• Like 1

gooner2826

Bit late to the party but I had the same issue ages ago (granted not 2mm) and managed to find a miniature punch and chisel set designed for wood. 

Went through a couple of them with a hammer as they kept blunting, but eventually broke through as spring bars are quite soft. Didnt cause any damage apart from obviously snapping the spring bar

• Like 1

Popperini
29 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

I like stupid people.... shooting them in the face.... after I shoot them in guts twice.... on fora or battlefield....same shit, rite?

I don't play shooters online any more, because my reflexes are too slow and my aim is rubbish, so I always end up getting shot in the guts then the face.  So yes, I'm much too slow and stupid to dodge bullets - literal or metaphorical. 

In case you think I'm being serious about passing on the wisdom of my experience, I'm not. I'm taking the piss out of myself, because I often haven't got a clue what I'm doing. This is one of those occasions, and I may end up trashing a £300 bracelet (or at least, a custom made set of SELs) because I got the idea in my head I could do something that actually I'm incapable of. But I don't mind sharing the experience with everyone, because I enjoy having a laugh with you all.

• Like 7

Popperini
34 minutes ago, gooner2826 said:

Bit late to the party but I had the same issue ages ago (granted not 2mm) and managed to find a miniature punch and chisel set designed for wood. 

Went through a couple of them with a hammer as they kept blunting, but eventually broke through as spring bars are quite soft. Didnt cause any damage apart from obviously snapping the spring bar

Cheers for the idea, Gooner mate. That's a possibility. I'll have to see if I can find one of those sets. 

I've attacked the springbars again this evening with a 1.3mm bit. But the little blighters still won't budge, because it's damned impossible to drill straight down onto them - their curve makes the bit drift to one side. So I'm only getting half the bars drilled. 

I've ordered a set of scribers to see if I can get one to stick in the inner bars so I can prise them out.

I've got some slight damage to the holes in the SELs, but once they're free I'm sure it'll buff out(TM).  :) 

Diplomatico

I still think the diamond wheel point with an Dremel is a good idea. Shave off the outer part of the springbar so the springs collapse

• Like 1

Popperini
9 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

I still think the diamond wheel point with an Dremel is a good idea. Shave off the outer part of the springbar so the springs collapse

That is a very, very good idea. Springbars... Springs. Release springs... no more springbars. :D 

You mentioned the tool previously, but I missed where you mentioned the suggested technique (sorry) and didn't figure it out in my tiny brain. 

And I have a couple of sets of diamond bits. Right, tomorrow I'll give this a go.  Thanks buddy!

There's still a very high chance this is all going to end in the smoking ruins of a watch. Stay tuned! 

Diplomatico
8 minutes ago, Popperini said:

That is a very, very good idea. Springbars... Springs. Release springs... no more springbars. :D 

You mentioned the tool previously, but I missed where you mentioned the suggested technique (sorry) and didn't figure it out in my tiny brain. 

And I have a couple of sets of diamond bits. Right, tomorrow I'll give this a go.  Thanks buddy!

There's still a very high chance this is all going to end in the smoking ruins of a watch. Stay tuned! 

Np! and now you'll sell me your franken 116520, right?

• Like 1

GenTLe
50 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

You mean one of these? 

fbc432a8d9e9a06185c25d489c8144f385bd95b6

They may work, yes!

Popperini
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

You mean one of these? 

They may work, yes!

That's the ones, the tiny diamond studded sex toys.

• Like 1

fatarms

I thought I finally understood what taking the piss outta something meant last month.   Then I read this thread and got all confused again.  I'll never understand that saying.   I'm glad I don't live in the UK, I'd be the idiot who was always using phrases incorrectly.   "I'm gonna kick you in your mother fuck! "  yeah, I'd be that guy... :lol:

• Like 3

GingerApple
53 minutes ago, fatarms said:

"I'm gonna kick you in your mother fuck! "  yeah, I'd be that guy...

That's a cracking phrase in my opinion!

We're the home of Shakespeare; we welcome people being 'flexible' with the language!

wimpie007
10 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

There’s a supporting vendor slot available on the GEEK, this should fly you through the probationary period easy peasy. @wimpie007

How would you know? You are banned there for being a cunt :P

• Like 2

BadPickle
7 hours ago, wimpie007 said:

Not true, banned for naming and shaming a thieving  cunt,  then you went on to giving him his own section so he could rob your members a little more before you finally banned him. 

you must be so proud 

• Like 2

5teve

Using a pointed drill on a round surface is always going to end in disaster,especially such a small drill.Use a 2mm milling cutter,it’s flat bottomed so will not wander.

• Like 1

Popperini
52 minutes ago, 5teve said:

Using a pointed drill on a round surface is always going to end in disaster,especially such a small drill.Use a 2mm milling cutter,it’s flat bottomed so will not wander.

A 2mm bit would definitely end in disaster, as the springbar access hole in the SEL is around 1.7mm wide. :) 

But thanks for the suggestion of a milling cutter - using one of these flat-nosed little chaps may well prevent the end of the bit wandering off. 

In fact, I've just been checking my set of diamond wheel point cutting bits (see pic in GenTLe's post above) and several of them have flat heads, which may well achieve the same end. I'll try those first, then once they're all bent/busted, I'll order some milling bits.

NCRich
2 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Not true, banned for naming and shaming a thieving  cunt,  then you went on to giving him his own section so he could rob your members a little more before you finally banned him. 

you must be so proud 

:rofl:

That is true. 

Jibuti

laughter is main reason for living

@Popperini

Last time I laughed.... it was in '85...

• Like 1

Jibuti
11 hours ago, wimpie007 said:

yes, you are right. but he is clever cunt. 85% of people are idiots anyway. on rep watch fora too. so here too.

@pickledbeetroot

Nikosaldente

If I had it in my hands I could destroy the spring bars easily in a couple of minutes using my diamond burr and the Dental Air Rotor Angle Hand piece with spraying water:D

Don't you have a Dentist or Dental Technician friend to help you?

• Like 3

Glaude
15 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

you must be so proud 

I don't see where this is incompatible with being a cunt, as true as your statement is :lol: 

2 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

Isn't there some general rule that you can't befriend a dentist or something like that ? :D 

• Like 2

NCRich
4 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

If I had it in my hands I could destroy the spring bars easily in a couple of minutes using my diamond burr and the Dental Air Rotor Angle Hand piece with spraying water:D

You scare me. 

:rofl:

• Like 1

Popperini
10 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

Sadly, no. I could really do with a dentist friend. I still haven't got the bars out. The springbar access holes in the SELs increasingly resemble an overhead photo of the Somme, and I never did seriously believe that I'd prefer the watch on a jubilee bracelet. 

I'm at the stage now where I was lying awake last night thinking, "Why did I ever start this? I had a perfectly good Franken, and I've gone and drilled the shit out of it, for no good reason other than the entertainment of my forum mates... Why? WHY?!!"

And I quietly sobbed myself to sleep.

Waspy
20 minutes ago, Popperini said:

I've gone and drilled the shit out of it, for no good reason other than the entertainment of my forum mates...

It does make you wonder what watch enthusiasts did before there were internet forums. 

• Like 1

Popperini

This is all part of that learning experience, best summed up (IIRC) by Yoda in the 3rd Harry Potter movie... "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Zfitht.jpg

Still, it's not totally, utterly the end of the world. I can always further my learning experiences by investing in one of those tools used for ripping apart (um I mean "carefully and safely disassembling") solid oyster links, and rebuild the SELs using new parts. But surely they cost hundreds of squids?! Ah no - for this isn't just any tool for disassembling solid oyster links, it's an Aliexpress tool for disassembling solid oyster links...

splke
9 minutes ago, Popperini said:

This is all part of that learning experience, best summed up (IIRC) by Yoda in the 3rd Harry Potter movie... "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Zfitht.jpg

Don't worry pal no one ever sees the underside of a watch 

With the exception of potential buyers 

:Doh:

• Like 1