Popperini

Problem! SEL bracelet on bluesy has been fitted using 2mm springbars...

brang1

seriously, this has got to fucking work

Popperini
5 hours ago, brang1 said:

Have you tried the Lord Popp?

I'm willing to give anything a try, B. But I think my problems possibly slip under the radar of justified divine intervention.

brang1
14 minutes ago, Popperini said:

I'm willing to give anything a try, B. But I think my problems possibly slip under the radar of justified divine intervention.

if you denounce any alliance with that Beelzebub Ferret of the Ginger Branch i am sure his grace will help you out 

• Like 1

GingerApple
1 hour ago, brang1 said:

if you denounce any alliance with that Beelzebub Ferret of the Ginger Branch i am sure his grace will help you out 

Ginger Psalms 13:2: "Mock not that which your cannot control and ALWAYS obey the Ginge."

• Like 1

deju

Has the watch been destroyed yet? 

:popcorn:

Popperini
11 minutes ago, deju said:

Has the watch been destroyed yet? 

:popcorn:

I'm working on it. Ordered more drill bits today, so potential utter destruction in 3... 2...

And on a related note... Does anyone have any idea of what I can use to securely clamp the watch at an angle on the press? I'm currently using this nylon watch clamp to hold it secure: 

ZFFXxp.jpg

But for it to be effective, the watch needs to be flat in the clamp. Which puts the SELs at an angle:

ZFFTXb.jpg

So ideally I need to be able to secure the watch at an angle which will present the lugs/SELs in a flat plane, like so:

ZFFPIi.jpg

But doing so results in a pretty insecure hold. 

If I was doing this properly, I'd strip the whole watch down so I didn't have to worry about the bezel, crystal, movement etc. being damaged by all this amateur drilling action. But I rarely do anything properly. And so we loop back round to the highly relevant question... "Has the watch been destroyed yet?" :D 

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Does anyone have any idea of what I can use to securely clamp the watch at an angle on the press?

Perhaps get a chunk of Swiss cheese. You can carve out the shape of the watch so it lies at the perfect angle, then when you're finished, you can eat the yummy cheese. Hope this helps.

ZFFgjQ.png

• Like 2

brang1
44 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Ginger Psalms 13:2: "Mock not that which your cannot control and ALWAYS obey the Ginge."

this thread has gone into the dark zone "Son Of GinGE" 

Popperini
4 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Perhaps get a chunk of Swiss cheese. You can carve out the shape of the watch so it lies at the perfect angle, then when you're finished, you can eat the yummy cheese. Hope this helps.

Mmm... cheesy tool.

I did speculate about the idea of using Fimo modelling clay to make a form that the watch could nestle in, which isn't far off the same idea. But Fimo tastes horrible, so I didn't pursue it.

But thinking on it some more, perhaps I will give it a go. I bought an absolute shit-ton of Fimo when I started the replacement Snoopy carving project (which is going very well, thanks Ginge) so I could use some Fimo over-purchasing overspill on this similar never-ending project.

• Like 1

Redfire1066

@Popperini  .. ..  ""And on a related note... Does anyone have any idea of what I can use to securely clamp the watch at an angle on the press? I'm currently using this nylon watch clamp to hold it secure:""   

. ...   .. how's about this ... :thumbsup:

ZFGjJ8.jpg

• Like 4

deju

Maybe some of that soft profile wood that they use for decorating and strap it under the watch with some foam on top. 

• Like 1

Popperini

Meanwhile, over on that “Tudor AD screwed my BB” thread, the OP’s watch has been sent back to Tudor to be fixed (AKA angle grind the bracelet off and replace with new)...

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/ad-installed-shoulderless-spring-bars-in-bb58.5304649/post-53421669

Maybe I should just send mine off to Rolex, and get them to fix it... and they can also replace all the fake bits with gen while it’s there. That’s how it works, isn’t it?

• Like 2

Glaude
20 hours ago, Popperini said:

That’s how it works, isn’t it?

I sure know an authorized Rolex repairer that would do it without even noticing what this really is ... oups, they just closed shop, go figure why ... :lol: 

brang1

i knew these quick release pins would never work

Theduke.williams
On 26/04/2021 at 21:15, GenTLe said:

You mean one of these? 

fbc432a8d9e9a06185c25d489c8144f385bd95b6

They may work, yes!

I think I would have been inclined to go down the Dremell / tungsten carbide tip route as mentioned on page 2.

Would be a long drawn out process, accomplished over several sessions, and may well have consumed a number of bits, but my feeling is this method would prevent too much damage to the lugs and sel's.

Maybe our dentist friend would care to comment? Could even have muttered the phrase 'Is it safe?' whilst working on the watch.

Popperini

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions chaps. 

2 hours ago, Theduke.williams said:

I think I would have been inclined to go down the Dremell / tungsten carbide tip route as mentioned on page 2.

That’s what I’m doing. Although in this case, the mahoosive drill press is getting the gig instead of the Dremel. Because a) it’s a very rigid, stable platform and b) it drills at very low speed, which is what’s required for drilling stainless.

I briefly tried those diamond encrusted engraving bits but they aren’t precisely made and make a sort of chewed mess of things.

And the other suggestion - to use a flat ended milling bit - was also a bust, because milling bits are designed to cut with their edge - so using them as a vertical drilling tool isn’t effective.

As I mentioned a few posts above, my issue now is how to hold the watch case securely at the right angle so I’m drilling straight down into the SEL, rather than at an angle. But I’ll probably give up on that endeavour and jump up to a 2mm bit, which will hopefully be rigid enough not to bend when it hits the spring bar. It’ll nibble a little bit out of the SEL access slot edges too, but at this stage I’m not too bothered about that.

2 hours ago, Theduke.williams said:

Maybe our dentist friend would care to comment? Could even have muttered the phrase 'Is it safe?' whilst working on the watch.

I got the reference, without the need for the accompanying video. I use the quote whenever I get the opportunity. :) 

Popperini
4 hours ago, Glaude said:

I sure know an authorized Rolex repairer that would do it without even noticing what this really is ... oups, they just closed shop, go figure why ... :lol: 

What’s this with reference to Glaude? I’m intrigued... :) 

5teve

Milling bits come in 2 forms,1 an  end mill which is what you have described the other a slot drill which is what you need.The latter being designed to plunge cut.

Edited by 5teve

Popperini
22 minutes ago, 5teve said:

Milling bits come in 2 forms,1 an  end mill which is what you have described the other a slot drill which is what you need.The latter being designed to plunge cut.

Cheers Steve. Specific information is always the most useful information!

EDIT: Just searching and JESUS they're expensive. 

5teve
10 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Cheers Steve. Specific information is always the most useful information!

EDIT: Just searching and JESUS they're expensive. 

No problem,I am actually quite surprised they do a 2mm end mill.You could always shorten a 2mm drill and flat bottom it, then just dremel a negative rake on it.

5teve
eBay item number:
Stockport based, have them from 1mm  upwards £6.99,only issue I can see is you may need more than one.:D

5teve

Also re.the angle for clamping, just looked back through the thread, you have a nice sturdy vice there so why not just spin your watch holder 90 degree's and tilt that?

Popperini
15 minutes ago, 5teve said:

You could always shorten a 2mm drill and flat bottom it, then just dremel a negative rake on it.

I... could do that. I know what a rake is. I know what a negative is. But I have absolutely no idea what those two words mean together, in this context. :D 

10 minutes ago, 5teve said:

Stockport based, have them from 1mm  upwards £6.99,only issue I can see is you may need more than one.:D

Thanks for the link mate, appreciating your help here. I've also found them at under a fiver each. https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/3-flute-slot-drills-hss-8-cobalt-tialn-coated-40hrc/2mm-diameter-slot-drill-3-flute-hss-high-speed-steel-8-cobalt-tialn-coated.html

Thing is, I don't even know if what I'm finding is appropriate - the description would make me suspect it's not, even though the spec would have me believe it's the correct composition. If you hadn't already gathered from the start of this thread, I really am a complete amateur hobbyist at this stuff. 

So yes, I'll need more than one. Probably about £500 worth, knowing me.

EDIT: Having taken a look at the eBay listing you gave me, I think I'll order a few of those and give them a go. Cheers again!

Popperini
10 minutes ago, 5teve said:

Also re.the angle for clamping, just looked back through the thread, you have a nice sturdy vice there so why not just spin your watch holder 90 degree's and tilt that?

Oh... god... How is it that this hadn't occurred to me?

:picard2:

Can we keep this one just between you and me Steve? I wouldn't want the others to see this. I don't think think I could take the mockery that will follow as a result. 

• Like 1

5teve
2 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Oh... god... How is it that this hadn't occurred to me?

:picard2:

Can we keep this one just between you and me Steve? I wouldn't want the others to see this. I don't think think I could take the mockery that will follow as a result. 

My lips are sealed.:D